Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Information South Park: The Stick of Truth Needs 2 Million Sales to Break Even

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Crooked Bee, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; South Park: The Stick of Truth; THQ

According to an article up at Gamasutra, Obsidian's South Park: The Stick of Truth will need to sell 2 million copies to at least break even:

THQ will focus now on breaking even on a title-by-title basis by releasing low-cost triple-A titles, such as Obsidian Entertainment's South Park: The Stick of Truth, which will release next March.

South Park requires a relatively smaller investment than other titles due to its simple animation. That project's break-even point is also 2 million units, though the publisher believes it can sell well above that, THQ told Pachter.​

So South Park: The Stick of Truth is an AAA title, huh? I wonder what kind of budget structure we're looking at here.

Spotted at Gamebanshee

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bluebottle Erudite Patron

Bluebottle
    Dead State Wasteland 2
    The term AAA has more to do with a titles importance to a company's portfolio than it does to its quality or even production budget. Means less than nothing.

^ Top  
  3. Darklife Cipher Patron

Darklife
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I don't think they'll break 2 million.

^ Top  
  4. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    How is it low-cost if it needs 2mil sales ? Getting an Alamur vibe here..

^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's interesting (and possibly pathetic) how they're telling us ahead of time how much they need to sell. Seems like a new thing for the industry. Inspired by Kickstarter?

Why not? It's fucking South Park.

^ Top  
  6. Alexandros Arcane

Alexandros
    RIP Obsidian :cry:

^ Top  
  7. Krash Prophet

Krash
    What the fuck, 2 millions? Someone's been smoking crack.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Might there be some confusion here? In this article, the CEO of THQ claims a UFC title had to sell 2 million to break even - not South Park.

^ Top  
  9. Sul Savant

Sul
    Don't worry, it will sell. The IP is big and even if it don't sell millions the game was obviously cheap to make.

^ Top  
  10. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    The only way they'll get 2 million sales is to have a huge advertising budget - suck up to the major gaming websites, advertise it on the side of buses, put it on billboards etc. Of course that'll increase the cost overall, so it's a double-edged sword.

^ Top  
  11. mikaelis Prophet Patron

mikaelis
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Looks like some tards at gamasutra or THQ cannot into basic math. 2mil x 60 $ = 120 mil $. That is smaller investment? Hahaha. That would be the most overpayed game in the history.
    I am sure they confused it with UFC - though, I cannot imagine stupid fighting game to cost 120 mil.

Unless they are counting in things like sales for 4.95$. But how the fuck would you calculate that?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Advantage of making a TV show licensed game - they can advertise it during South Park episodes (during the commercial breaks, or even stick advertising into the episodes themselves). Viacom can probably arrange this for cheap.

^ Top  
  13. Stinger Arcane

Stinger
    It won't make 2 mill. Out of Obsidian's stuff only FNV has made more than 2 mill in the short term and that was a 'sequel' to an already successful franchise. South Park's a big name but unless Reviewers give 10/10s all around (doubtful, they'll just pick on the graphics instead) I'm not expecting 2 mill sales.

What a fucking joke that publishers need 2 mill for a game that only uses 2 voice actors, simple 2D graphics rather than splurging on nextgen shit and a fairly concise and well managed dev time considering it hasn't even been 2 years yet.

Obsidian time for your damn Kickstarter.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Yeah I just realised Matt and Trey will be doing almost all the voices. I think there's a couple of women who do most of the female voices, and a guy - not a trained voice actor- who just works at South Park Studios who does Token and a few others. The VA budget shouldn't be big at all. And I can't imagine Obsidian getting paid big bucks. My guess is a lot of it will be going to Viacom (owners of the IP) and THQ (publisher).

^ Top  
  15. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Well, not exactly. They make a lot less than $60 on an actual copy for various reasons (obvious one is that the retailers buy it for less. Or however thats handled in video games.). But even if you math with $30 you end up at 60Mil.

I'd say Pachter or Gamasutra just misunderstood.

^ Top  
  16. EG Nullified

EG
    And if you math it up at, say, 10% . . . Those poor impoverished bastards.

Still, it's South Park. It's a game with South Park in the title. I've faith it will reach its lofty goal.

^ Top  
  17. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    This is bullshit. A game like South Park cannot possibly need that many units just to break even. The game itself probably cost less than an entire or half a season of South Park.

If that figure is indeed true, then it sounds like more backdoor money pocketing among a few piece of shit suits and Obsidian will get the short end of the stick again.

^ Top  
  18. Chad J. Thundercock Chadministrator

Chad J. Thundercock
    It'll make 2 million easily. It's a console game, remember?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    You need to add console licensing fees, retailer cut, shipping, manufactuer ect.

^ Top  
  20. Darklife Cipher Patron

Darklife
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Ahh it's coming out on consoles as well. Well in that case consider me misinformed.

^ Top  
  21. Marsal Arcane

Marsal
    Costs of production include marketing, which is often greater than development costs. Publisher's cut is about $27 of a $60 game (retail price). So 2 millions sales = $54M. That could be accurate if marketing budget was about $30M.

^ Top  
  22. CrunchyHemorrhoids Liturgist

CrunchyHemorrhoids
    How can you believe it for even a second, that would put its budget at at least 32 millions.

^ Top  
  23. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    With figures like that, do they always consider just full-priced sales?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    They must have screwed up on that article, but yet they clearly compare it to UFC and even mention both titles need 2mil sales, even though South Park is smaller budget. No wonder THQ is not doing well.

^ Top  
  25. Marsal Arcane

Marsal
    I guess they mean 2 million in the first couple of months. Later used games sales and discounts kick in and they earn much less.

We are forgetting licencing costs and/or Trey Parker and Matt Stone's cut (I don't know who owns rights to South Park, but I guess Viacom gets a piece of action, too).

I think they got UFC licence cheaply before UFC got big (it's a promotional tool for UFC, too). Didn't EA buy the UFC licence form THQ recently?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)