Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information South Park: The Stick of Truth Needs 2 Million Sales to Break Even

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't quite understand the hate for South Park, the show.

It ran its course a decade ago.

Esquilax

Arcane
Don't quite understand the hate for South Park, the show.

It ran its course a decade ago.

A decade? C'mon, recent South Park has been somewhat hit-and-miss but there have been some gems lately too (based on a quick skim of Wikipedia, I would say the show's best years were Season 6-11). The last two episodes "I Should Never Have Gone Ziplining" and "Cartman Finds Love" are really funny. I'm one of those people that thought that the very early early episodes of South park kinda sucked.

Also, a lot of other shows run their course too - doesn't automatically make them shit. Fuck, Simpsons has been unwatchable for at least a decade but in its prime it was untouchable. But then again, I've always been the type that would judge how good a show/series was based on how good it was at its best moments. I'm like that with games as well: I don't really give a fuck how many Fables Peter Molyneux makes, the dude created Dungeon Keeper.

But that's a different matter altogether from the RPG itself. The game will probably be mediocre at best, in large part because the combat is going to be simplistic and it's unlikely that the game is going to be funny/entertaining enough to stand on its own two feet. But the hatred of South Park as if it's some supremely idiotic show that only retards can enjoy screams of edginess to me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It will top 2 million EASILY. I guess we'll know soon enough."

Many SW games don't even reach 2mil copies sold and that IP is a lot fukkin' bigger than SP 9which I actually kinda dig). Hell, KOTOR was considered one of the most successful SW games yet it sold between 2-3 mil copies.

SP can rwch 2mil but it's not a slam dunk like you think it is. Again, have to wonder, how much other SP games have sold.

Even if you count all countries and say 5mil watch SP, I'd eb surprised if even 75% of them even think about buying a SP game.

ironyuri

Many SW games don't even reach 2mil copies sold and that IP is a lot fukkin' bigger than SP 9which I actually kinda dig). Hell, KOTOR was considered one of the most successful SW games yet it sold between 2-3 mil copies.

SP can rwch 2mil but it's not a slam dunk like you think it is. Again, have to wonder, how much other SP games have sold.

Even if you count all countries and say 5mil watch SP, I'd eb surprised if even 75% of them even think about buying a SP game.

Volourn, stop the bullshitz ffs.

SW is a 1970s film property with cultural resonance, but not prescience for many. The late 90s film reboot did more to damage the franchise than to increase its fan-base, and the multitudinous spin-offs have also made it a shit franchise for non-SW geeks.

You can't compare the two. SW games have been produced for years and many of dubious quality, so it's no surprise it didn't sell massively well. Kotor sold 2-3 million in an era in PC gaming when 2-3 million was probably a massive plus, and prior to the
"we need 5 million sales EA" era.

SouthPark has been on the go since 1999, the game will sell to the audience of gamers who also like SP, it won't necessarily convert non-gamers who watch SP, but some might buy it for fandom purposes. 2 million is not an obscene target for
a game with a large fanbase. Obsidian will generate sales for its hardcore fans, SouthPark will generate sales as an IP and depending on marketing/distribution it will get the sales it needs.

The problem is whether or not the game is good, and whether or not it stabilises Obsidian's industry reputation.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Give it up. You overrate SP's popularity - espciially when it comes transferring said popularity to video games. 2mil is possibly but it's no slam dunk moran.

Also, bash the newer SW movies all youn want but they were rather successful.

L0L The fact you think the 10+ year old SP is more popualr than SW is fukkin' ludicrous.

How much box office bizness did the SP movie do? How much box office bizness did the new SW movies do? Case closed. Case fukkin' closed.

Micmu

Magister
The problem is whether or not the game is good, and whether or not it stabilises Obsidian's industry reputation.
They don't have a "reputation". They're nothing but a cheap bitch to outsource to.
They're gone; most likely permanently this time around.

Shannow

Waster of Time
But the hatred of South Park as if it's some supremely idiotic show that only retards can enjoy screams of edginess to me.
As Metro mentioned: generational gap.
Iif I'd started watching sp more recently and eg "The humancentipad" had been the first episode I saw, I'd trash SP and anybody who likes it all day long.

In addition to that SP has always had too much toilet "humor" and too much sick and perverted stuff. Very many people cannot look past that.
And even the positive sides of satirically making fun of the treatment of/discurse about political, religious, domestic, social issues and ethnic/cultural/religious cliches is a put-off for many people (especially those who dislike thinking, are prejudiced or have no humor).

I like the show, though it's become pretty shitty in the last 5 seasons or so. But I find it not at all surprizing that there are very many people who dislike it.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

You know, there will also be people buying the game that do not watch the show (EDIT: come to think of it, probably a very small number though).. and cross-platform release.. while I'm not defending the quality of the game I do think 2mil is a real possibility (like 85 on Metacritic for FO:NV :smug:)

Marsal

Arcane
SP is available for free online. That's a massive audience. Let's not forget people who watched SP a couple years ago and quit. Last SP I watched was probably season 3 or 4. I did watch Manbearpig and WoW episodes since and nothing else. I'm interested in the game (if it's well made).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They don't have a "reputation".

currentdiff.png

See that big spike in the middle? That's what happened when Obsidian's involvement in Wasteland 2 was announced.

Micmu

Magister
That doesn't mean much; especially since they are catering to console crowd with this one again. The crowd they pissed off with Ass Protocol, as for Allout:NV, all consoletards thought it's a betshitsda game anyway (and it was; as far as the profits went...)

Also, "reviewers" don't like them; they definitely don't get the AAA treatment as big-name publisher/developers do. Unlike EA/batshit excrements, any mistake in the game will be brought out and they will get a shit score of less than 95%.
They don't have a big name in the industry. Nowhere near enough to pull a Slam Dunk!!1 which as it
looks like, they desperately want to make with +2mil. Popularity of the SP franchise is the only thing that might save them on this one. Maybe.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like the ones making fun of other shows or current events, like the Pirates one (Somalia) and the one with the Japanese whale hunting. Can not really point to a single favourite one, although Randy March is definitely my favourite character.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I do think 2mil is a real possibility"

When did I argue otherwise?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom