Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News South Park: The Stick of Truth Official Trailer Released, Release Date Announced

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
See, that would be an example. I don't know if you're agreeing with me or trolling me, by responding to posts about gifs with the extensive use of gifs - but that is actually an appropriate case.
The "applauding citizen Kane" gif has become synonymous with strong approval, as expressed by Orson Welles' face and strong clapping gesture.
Therefore it is a very effective and appropriate response to a post you agree with, sparing you the trouble to type "yes, I agree" in an excessively verbose manner.

...but here's the catch: 90% of the other gifs, if you'll pardon my French, suck donkey bollocks.
They are generic and can't be equated with anything. The face of the bald man, for example: what the hell is he expressing? A stupefied confusion? approval? Attention? I can't tell.
Saturation leads to the inevitable decay of quality, reaffirming the truth of Sturgeon's law, which, while simplistically phrased, turns out to be true in pretty much every case.

By the way, irony and meta get so many layers, when talking about gifs and memes, that they can lose relevance.
Funny how the Citizen Kane gif expresses strong approval, while in the movie, if I recall correctly, he was applauding his wife's awful performance very strongly to elicit a response in the rest of the audience.

But I digress.

:cool:

anusbleeding.gif

Captain Shrek

I am scared 'codex. What if the Magnificent Bastard actually amanges to pull this off and make a great and popular game (no chances of the latter thank goodness)? This might mean avalanche of bad themes ala angry birds!

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
AlphaProtocol09copia.jpg

Some of you people are far too negative. Everyone knows that Obsidian Entertainment are good at making role-playing games and you have nothing to fear!

:troll:

Morkar Left

Some of you people are far too negative. Everyone knows that Obsidian Entertainment are good at making role-playing games and you have nothing to fear!

:troll:

I wouldn't see the South Park game as an rpg. The RPG in the name is probably as meaningful as in Mario RPG or the Zelda "RPG". It could turn out as a fun game, good for a littlle distraction with some humour. There's a good chance South Park fans will really enjoy it when they can pull off the typical humour from the series and provide a good, bugfree narrative with fluent gameplay. Personally I don't think South Park is that great but once in a while I laughed about the jokes. I think I saw only around 20 episodes max from it.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I don't even think Obsidian makes shitty games, I actually enjoyed their last 3 titles and it seems mAAAinstream reviewers (and Codexers ironically) are the ones hardest on them, but South Park just doesn't look that good. 10 years ago I may have been all over the franchise but these days the show is naught but a dried up series flailing for survival, sort of like Obsidian!

Deleted member 7219

Obsidian's strength has always been their writing. But since this is being written by Matt and Trey.... I really don't see how this can be an Obsidian game. So, they're just coding and making the systems while Matt and Trey write the content? Is that it? Don't get me wrong, nobody knows South Park like the creators do, but why go to an RPG studio in that case? I'm sure there are other developers out there who can't be bothered with the story. Will the creative talents of Chris Avellone, Eric Fenstermaker, John Gonzalez (New Vegas) etc all be going to waste?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Didn't they mention that there were going to be faction elements in the game? Sure, Matt & Trey probably take care of the dialogue and the story, but you still need to build a living world with what they've written.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom