Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION)

deuxhero

Arcane
J_C said:
Day 1 purchase for sure. :smug:

I don't get the rage. Sure, it is disapointing, but I like the show, and if it will be a good RPG in the SP universe, I will enjoy it. And we already knew that they are working on a game based on an animation franchise. What did you expect? An Aladdin RPG or Lion King RPG?

Avatar (Or The Last Airbender because someone is a sue happy dick and the courts don't laugh it out with "this work predates yours" quick enough to be worth the cost)?

Also have to look at Feargus's comment "There actually is another game that I can't talk about at all." "it's a licensed product that when people hear about it they're going to be "well you had to do that. there's no option, if I was a developer and I was offered that I would just do it."". Only reason I can see he'd have to do it is that SP has characters that make him look thin.

On another note, looks like my comment that western animation is done in Flash and that is what the flash experience was for was correct.

Roderick

Savant
J_C said:
I don't get the rage. Sure, it is disapointing, but I like the show, and if it will be a good RPG in the SP universe, I will enjoy it. And we already knew that they are working on a game based on an animation franchise. What did you expect? An Aladdin RPG or Lion King RPG?

I agree. looking forward to it. also the last few South Park episodes have been great

Eyeball

Arcane
Hilarious. It's almost like the main game devs are making games specifically to trolll the Codex these days.

The decision to get Obsidian to do a SP game is beyond bizarre. How the hell did that conversation play out?

"Bioware, you have distinguished yourself by making a considerably less derp version of FO3 in New Vegas and its DLCs, bringing back grown-up writing to the RPG genre on a level not witnessed for many years. You are JUST the people we need to bring this infantile smug bullshit cartoon series that should have ended a decade ago to life as a video game! You may now kiss my royal pinky ring in gratitude."

The only thing funny about SP is how amazingly unfunnny and preachy it has become after actually being witty for the first few seasons. The series deserves death, not another video game.

Eyeball

Arcane
Hilarious. It's almost like the main game devs are making games specifically to trolll the Codex these days.

The decision to get Obsidian to do a SP game is beyond bizarre. How the hell did that conversation play out?

"Bioware, you have distinguished yourself by making a considerably less derp version of FO3 in New Vegas and its DLCs, bringing back grown-up writing to the RPG genre on a level not witnessed for many years. You are JUST the people we need to bring this infantile smug bullshit cartoon series that should have ended a decade ago to life as a video game! You may now kiss my royal pinky ring in gratitude."

The only thing funny about SP is how amazingly unfunnny and preachy it has become after actually being witty for the first few seasons. The series deserves death, not another video game.

Eyeball

Arcane

Eyeball

Arcane

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This falls somewhere between

440.jpg

and

31.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Cool concept for a RPG, looking forward to this. Only concern is if the show's style of humor will translate to a game format.

I don't get the rage here. They're running a business, not an art college. If someone offers you a fucking development contract, you don't say 'no, I really like money but for some reason I'm going to knock back this offer to make a game that is from a worker's perspective going to be almost identical to the process of making any other game' (how much 'creative difference' is there in the coding? Why would the guy who designs the jump animation give a shit what the setting is?).

I know folks here like to think that everything Obsidian produces is the personal work of MCA, but they aren't a one-man indie studio. Someone offers you work, the only question to ask with any fucking relevance is 'will you pay me enough to hire a team to make the product and a decent profit on top'. Anything else is irrelevant. Yes, you then go make your art-game as well. But you do it AS WELL. You don't turn down profitable work (and given that Obsidian just get paid a lump sum + costs for these deals, any contract is pretty much equally profitable) unless you're either (a) fucking retarded, or (b) in it as an indie hobbyist who can only work on one project at a time. As a company, you can just hire folk to do the shit that you don't want to do yourself, so why the fuck would you turn down anything?

Seriously, if someone from turd city came along and asked Obsidian to make a game about one extended turd, with no game options or commands other than watching the turd come out, why the fuck should they ask any questions but 'are you guys paying our costs?'. If the costs are being paid, then that's a new team. Surely you want as many of those kind of projects as you can get your fucking hands on - it's guaranteed money in an industry where any developer that isn't owned by a publisher is always one project away from insolvency.

It isn't like they only get to work on one project at a time, and they have to choose 'ohh...do I work on the South Park rpg or do I make a AAA crpg'? They aren't even fucking writing the thing - what's the big deal about hiring a bunch of code-monkeys to do a contract job?

Yes there's branding issues - but that's what sub-studios are for. If you're really worried that the contract job for 'turd - the game' is going to damage your brand, you create a wholly owned subsidiary and leave your main brand's name off it. Here, I don't think that will even be an issue. It's so obviously a contract quick-buck that it will be taken like Bioware's Sonic rpg - as pretty much irrelevant to the brand one way or the other. But even if I'm wrong on that, that's just a marketing question, not one that determines whether you take the job.

I sure as fuck won't buy it, but why should I give a shit?

WalmartJesus

Learned
What a weird franchise to make an RPG off of...but it has me kinda intrigued

This actually might have potential.

If the game has good writing and C&C.it could end up being surprisingly decent.

I'm guessing alot of ironic self-awareness from the characters and parodies of stereotypes found in other RPGs.....Maybe Trey Parker/Matt Stone and Obisidan will troll Bioware's Romance subplots. :lol:

deuxhero

Arcane
WalmartJesus said:
Maybe Trey Parker/Matt Stone and Obisidan will troll Bioware's Romance subplots. :lol:

I take it back, this a perfect idea for a game!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom