Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION)

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Turisas, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Anyone want to pull out the episode of South Park where they mock Metallica and others for suing online pirates?

I'm not advocating sailing the online high seas here, just that I wonder whether their view is going to be the same now that they're the rich bastards with a piracy-vulnerable product:)

^ Top  
  2. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    I'd buy it if it wasn't made by Obshittian. They ruined NWN, Star Wars, Fallout and Jason Bourne -- and now they're ruining South Park. They're like the Uwe Boll of videogames.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn

^ Top  
  4. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :hmmm:

^ Top  
  5. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    I don't see what's trollish about that comment.

^ Top  
  6. CSM Cipher Patron

CSM
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

^ Top  
  7. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    You tellin' me that TV shows are not piracy-vulnerable?

^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The real WTF is that he forgot Dungeon Siege. :troll:

^ Top  
  9. dukeofwhales Arbiter

dukeofwhales
    It's a little different since pirated video game = (in theory*) a lost customer = directly less sales dollars, compared to pirated tv show = less viewers = maybe less ad revenue for the network = maybe lower negotiated per episode price for the studio. Pirated TV is a little more abstract and harder to quantitate in terms of lost revenue.

*If you want to argue 'not all pirated copies are lost sales', don't even bother, thanks. I know. It's not the point I'm making.

^ Top  
  10. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Companion list, at least according to the website (we've seen most anyway and the only real surprise is jimmy)

2 charachters in combat and field

Buddies/Companions are

Cartman
    Kenny
    Butters
    Stan
    Kyle
    Jimmy

I'm sure there will be some way to switch.

^ Top  
  11. So, unlock party size mod incoming?

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    In a JRPG? Unlikely. Where would they fit on the battle screen?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Way to ruin the promising game.
    :hero:

^ Top  
  14. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    ^ Top  
  15. Grinolf Cipher

Grinolf
    Some probably are, but definitely not the one, which everyone could watch for free on it's website. The only restriction there, that recent episodes are avaiable for a several days and then become blocked for a few weeks. Don't remember exatly how much, but all episodes from the new season are already unblocked.

^ Top  
  16. RedScum Arbiter Patron

RedScum
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    It's region restricted i think, so might only work in Kwanistan.

^ Top  
  17. Grinolf Cipher

Grinolf
    No, since I live on the other side of the world and still could easily wath all episodes there. But maybe it's blocked for some regions because of their local right holders.

^ Top  
  18. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    It's trollish because of all the Obs fanboys around these parts and there's certainly some truth to my comment being trollish in that regard. But I wouldn't be trolling if I said, truthfully, that Obs has yet to release a good game and I'm not just talking about bugs or rushed content here. For reference, I'd be willing to parade the three broken gems that came out of Troika despite their various flaws and shortcomings; occasionally I might even replay them. Obsidian's creations, on the other hand, go in the trash after 1/3 of a play-through.

Never picked it up. Is it any good?

^ Top  
  19. Broseph Fabulous Hoosier Patron

Broseph
    I'd replay Alpha Protocol over Arcanum any day of the fucking week.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    well, with Alpha Protocols lenght and replayability, you could probably play it every day of the fucking week. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. RedScum Arbiter Patron

RedScum
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Well it's blocked here atleast, shame.

^ Top  
  22. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    While I wouldn't quite go that far, I'd still defend Obsidian for being pretty much the only major studio that even has the potential to release great RPGs. Plus writing is a huge deal for me (in RPGs) and Obsidian seems like the only company that gives two fucks about story and dialog, and that includes Bioware.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    There's a difference between caring and being good at something. There are lots of game devs that care a lot about story, they just suck at it.

(Irrational, Quantic Dreams, Bioware)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Zetor Arcane

Zetor
    Hey, Freedom Force had a great story!

edit to add actual content: I'd argue that developers aren't really bad at creating stories, they're bad at presenting them. Video game writing is srs bsns, apparently.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Broseph Fabulous Hoosier Patron

Broseph
    Arcanum has horrific gameplay and a shit ton of combat, with more filler between its bright spots. AP is only <15 hours long and its bright spots come more often, plus the sheer amount of choice and consequence promises very different experiences every time compared to Arcanum which doesn't have as many noteworthy examples of C&C.

I loathed Neverwinter Nights 2 and I'd say it's one of the most boring RPGs I've played, but AP and New Vegas are easily up there with other "flawed gem" classics, so I give Obsidian some brownie points.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    ^ Top