Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION)

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Turisas, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    I'd say everyone cares in some way. Bioware, Obsidian, Quantic Dream and Irrational imo have all different goals when it comes to narrative imo-

Said goal is just different. What Xor probably means is caring about exploring possible videogame options for storytelling rather than just trying to write a movie and caring for a narrative that actually has depth to it.

(Not that SP specifically is a good example here)

^ Top  
  2. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    No, there are game devs that do not care about narrative.

Firaxis, Paradox, DICE,

^ Top  
  3. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    So true. Those people make games all about story but don't have a clue what a good story is. It is a pity that the people who buy their games don't have a clue too. :lol:

^ Top  
  4. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    Good on you, mate. To me they're just Oblivion with guns and an ME-style cover-based shooter.

^ Top  
  5. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You're going to call me out for liking Arcanum more than AP? Seriously? I mean, Arcanum has its problems, but AP is hardly a beacon of good shooter mechanics and stealth design itself. Arcanum's combat might be boring but at least it's brief. In AP you spend 90% of your time dealing with bad AI and cover shooting to get to the good parts.

Also, Arcanum doesn't need the scripted C&C sequences that AP has because in Arcanum you're free to basically do whatever you want. Problems naturally have mutliple solutions in many cases because of the way the game is designed. What you chose to do and how it plays out are Arcanum's C&C. The Fallout games worked largely the same way.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    If their goal is to not suck, they failed badly.

^ Top  
  7. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Broseph Fabulous Hoosier Patron

Broseph
    Not calling you out bro, my opinion's not fact. I just think Arcanum is an inferior copy of Fallout 1 and 2 and its flaws outweigh its strengths.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Well, its more like he playtested and gave feedback, but its nice that he pushed for more alternate routes in the level design.

Though, that hopefully doesn't mean spending time exploring makes the game too easy.

^ Top  
  11. Avellion Erudite

Avellion
    As far as I am concerned, titles like NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, Fallout: New Vegas, Kotor 2 and even Alpha Protocol is better than anything BieberWare has put out since 2001.

And Daggerfall kept me entertained while it lasted and left me with a good taste. Unlike Mass Effect 1, which left me with a very sour taste in my mouth with both the Dialogue system and the battle system being some of the worst I had witnessed in gaming yet, I even said it cant get much worse than this... oh how wrong I was.

^ Top  
  12. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    jesus fucking christ, i cant argue that they are not very good, but worst youve witnessed? Have you played what, 4 games in total?

^ Top  
  13. Avellion Erudite

Avellion
    Poorly worded on my part.

I meant the ME1 dialogue system is amongst the worst I have witnessed in gaming (I absolutely hate Dialogue wheels and paraphrasing makes it even worse). ME1's battle system cannot be amongst the worst, not when stuff like Oblivion exists, still pretty terrible though.

^ Top  
  14. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    Because there's at least one good game under the studio name.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Rean Instructor Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I can see where he's coming from. Personally, I don't hate Bioware like many Codexers do, but they are yet to impress me the way Obsidian have done. I haven't seen Bioware make a truly original, dark and reactive story. Dragon Age came close but it was ruined by the romances and some derpy plot elements. It is annoying how successful they have been and how Obsidian keep struggling.

I just hope Stick of Truth will be critically and commercially successful so Obsidian get this "buggy developer that releases unfinished games" millstone off their backs. Pillars of Eternity will be their "we can still make classic RPGs too" game and then I hope they'll make a spiritual successor to MotB or even another Fallout game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Stereotypical Villain Arcane

Stereotypical Villain
    Guess they grasped... THE SHORT END OF THE STICK!!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kill me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Angelo85 Prophet

Angelo85
    So apparently the South Park game will be heavily censored in the usual countries:

Germany for example will have the "jew" class renamed.
    Australia will have some Alien Anal probe stuff cut and other parts involving Aliens censored.

http://kotaku.com/south-park-game-hilariously-censored-in-australia-1486177087

/e: doing some digging there appears to be a special version for Russia as well, couldn't find any infos on what has been cut for them, or if anything at all for that matter. Perhaps some stuff involving Stalin? :D

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think Ubisoft may have decided to not even sell it in Israel because of this. :x Like anyone would even notice.

^ Top  
  19. Angelo85 Prophet

Angelo85
    I honestly feel this renaming business is extremely ridiculous.
    In the preview video we saw the jew class running around with the Israel's flag as cape, the staff etc. renaming the class alone won't help at all. I would imagine Cartman will have some more nice comments throughout the game, do they bleep all that out? Creating special scripts for a few select markets doesn't sound worthwhile economically speaking.

And the Israel ban... well those Orthodox guys can be quite vocal and actually aggressive when it comes to this stuff I imagine. And they got the influence.

^ Top  
  20. hiver Guest

hiver
    Whats a ban in the age of digital distribution?

What they should do is add more of such classes.

^ Top  
  21. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    Sailing the high seas knows no boundaries.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Why do Australians want the aliens censored...?

:suspicious:

^ Top  
  23. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    In fairness, I don't think Matt+Trey are expecting Tom Cruise, Mormons or anyone with ginger hair to buy their game either.

^ Top  
  24. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Illegal aliens are kind of a touchy subject over here. The censors were just worried that Asaari will start showing up in boats.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. hiver Guest

hiver
    I think a nazi and a nigger class would be excellent additions.

Also gay and transexual classes.

Chinks... anyone?

nah... doesnt have a bite to it...

^ Top