Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION)

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Turisas, Dec 1, 2011.

1. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Don't call Abigail Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Going back to the actual topic of the thread: that gameplay video has actually convinced me to take interest in the game. No farting jokes in the first 13 minutes at least. I only wish the party size was larger than three characters.

^ Top  
  2. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Because the tutorial person didn't make a mage. Mages are the fart-class.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    Is that for real or am I missing the whole fart angle?

^ Top  
  4. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Don't call Abigail Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I know I can't avoid it all, but I wouldn't want the fartimeter to go over 9000, if there is another option.

^ Top  
  5. Rean Instructor Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    That's my one worry about the game. I always hated the SP episodes that overdid the toilet humour.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. bot Unwanted Dumbfuck Queued

Unwanted
    Better toilet humour than Terrance and Philip bullshit.

^ Top  
  7. Rean Instructor Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    They are one and the same. Terrance and Philip is toilet humour. You've also got that episode 'More Crap' which is about Randy Marsh taking a dump.

I much prefer SP when it is either the kids being kids (Imaginationland, Good Times with Weapons, Lil Crimestoppers) or taking a dig at American culture (Christian Rock Hard, Trapped in the Closet) than anything with farts and shit in.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. bot Unwanted Dumbfuck Queued

Unwanted
    Yeah but Terrance and Phillip are supposed to be ironic or meta-toilet humour. Or something. To be honest it's the only part of the series I never truly understood.

I think the quality of humour of each episode is highly accidental, especially the social commentary-type ones. I strongly recommend watching the mini-documentary on how SP episodes are actually made, available on their site. hmm it might have been available only temporarily

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    More speculation fodder for a possible DLC as Brian Heins (Senior Designer on SP) got promoted Project Director.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    ^ Top  
  10. dukeofwhales Arbiter

dukeofwhales
    If it's a serious question

There are two things which get any media instabanned in Australia: showing positive effects for real life drugs (i.e. permenant healing for morphine in FO3 hence the rename to Med-X, or gaining superpowers in Saints Row for smoking weed), and sexual violence 'without context'. SR4 (I believe, haven't played it) gave you the alien anal probe gun after you finished the mission, giving essentially a 'press M1 to anal rape' button, which is a big no no. I believe that if the gun had been contained to within the alien abduction missions it would have been okay (as that's sufficient context, as would be an antagonist raping someone to show that they're a baddie as per Clockwork Orange or whatever). I assume this game must be similar - one of the weapons will allow for sexual assault of other characters, albeit in a silly, paper cutout kinda way.

So yeah, it's pretty stupid that these get an auto ban but at least it's not a distster any more like when we were banning games left right and centre for being too violent for 15 year olds.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I am more thinking along the lines of "X-Com Xenonaut Operatives have discovered an alien base in Australia."

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Frusciante Arbiter

Frusciante
    Project: Eternity
    Releasedate is March 4th.

^ Top  
  13. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    But you did understand them. It is ironic, meta-toilet humor, a commentary on how the show itself was perceived by many at the time. I guess at the beginning it was also supposed to be a parody of Itchy and Scratchy but they dropped the idea of making it a recurrent gag after the show settled in (mind you that i stopped watching the show after season twelve, after which i'm sure they started to recycle a lot of their older catch phrases or tropes). Personally, i think the show really took off with season four, with the first seasons having too much random for the sake of random and trololo, with Terrance and Phillip being a part of that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Rean Instructor Patron

Rean
    Brofisted for the stuff at the end. Best seasons have been season 4 onwards. 7, 8 and 9 in particular have some really great episodes and not many awful ones.

^ Top  
  15. Snozgobler Educated

Snozgobler
    Ubisoft blog post including a video interview with Trey and Matt. Blog post is from today, video was posted to YouTube last week though, so you might have already seen it. Nothing particulhttp://blog.ubi.com/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-making-of-video/

*Edit* actually, I feel like the video must be older than that (perhaps from another source) because I'm sure I've seen it myself a while ago...

^ Top  
  16. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    The earlier episodes have way more catch phrases and shticks. "screw you guys I'm going home", "oh my god, they killed kenny", a lot more terrance & phillip, jews are greedy, satan is gay, etc

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Sunsetspawn Arcane

Sunsetspawn
    :patriot:

^ Top  
  18. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    How fitting, when I think of noble paladins, jews also always come to mind. :lol:

"A paladin, huh? So I guess we'll never really be friends.":keepmyjewgold:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Avellion Erudite

Avellion
    So of all the people to get to show more footage of this game, it just had to be PewDiePie.

In case you can tolerate him, click this link.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Juan_Carlo Arcane

Juan_Carlo
    Terence and Phillip started as a meta-commentary on how people accused South Park of being just toilet humor when it first debuted, but that was just the starting point for their characters. At their heart they are more absurdism than meta-commentary and I think they work as characters entirely apart from the meta-commentary. "Not without my Anus" is one of my favorite episodes ever, and not as any sort of meta-humor. It's all just straight up absurdism and non-sensical silliness and parodies of bad TV melodrama and American perceptions of Canadians.

Plus, the first good episode of South Park was "Rainforest Schmainforest," which was the first episode of season 3. Then the series hit its prime beginning with the movie (I still see the movie as the quintessential South Park. It never got better than that).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Hey, all I gotta say is this: Breakout Characters.
    The show has got a few of them. Damn good ones too.

^ Top  
  22. Broseph Fabulous Hoosier Patron

Broseph
    This game is pretty cool guys. :M

^ Top  
  23. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    this game is gonna make obsidian some nice cash me thinks. reviews won't matter. offended journalists will just fuel the fire, and no-one will give a shit about the ratings.

man o man, this is good for the future of The Incline.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that SPSoT will become the best-selling game of the year.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top