Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Radisshu said:
Well, I imagine certain things won't take very long (visual design, graphics)
Oh hey, another upside: the first game of theirs that can't be criticized for ugly graphics. Shouldn't be any problem at all nailing that art style and simple animation.

Eyeball

Arcane
Once again, I am puzzled by the Codex. Bethesda releases a surprisingly playable Oblivion 2 and the RAYGE is so thick you can cut it with a knife but when fucking OBSIDIAN signs on to make a cocksucking SP RPG, you actually have kind words for it?

What the fuck is wrong with you people? Is it because it's December? Did Skyrim make your rage reserves run dry? This piss and shit-stained abortion of a game deserves twenty million times the ire and fury of ANY bashed and blasted game of the past five years.

Except maybe when FO3 was announced to be an FPS, that still pretty much takes the cake, to be frank.

Come on guys, you can manage one more burst of rage this year! Obsidian has blessed us with a fantastic opportunity to rage and shake our fists uselessly here - don't let it go to waste.

sonicchronicles.jpg

Stinger

Arcane
Eyeball said:
This piss and shit-stained abortion of a game deserves twenty million times the ire and fury of ANY bashed and blasted game of the past five years.

Except maybe when FO3 was announced to be an FPS, that still pretty much takes the cake, to be frank.

Lol what.

How is Obsidian making a South Park based RPG anything like the godawful rape of Fallout that Bethesda did?

If you give a shit about the license then the whole "Creators are working closely with the devs" thing shouldn't bother you.

If you don't give a shit about the license then this whole thing deserves apathy at worst.

The rage over Skyrim, over Oblivion over all the other abominations we've put up with were deserved. It was the messing up of an otherwise decent RPG franchise, turning it into a glorified action game while the derpiest retards played it and acted like this was the future of rpgs- shitty action/fps knockoffs that were bad shooters and terrible rpgs. These games encouraged the idea that rpgs were about making shit up and playing pretend and just general LARP retardry.

We have no details about this game beyond the license, it'll probably be just another action game with maybe good writing and decent quest design given the developers behind it. No one's going to be claiming that the future of RPGs is licensing from franchises that have nothing to do with games. No one will say that the graphics of RPGs have to be shitty paper cut outs.

Jesus, enough with all the edginess.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Azrael the cat said:
I don't get the rage here.

The rage comes from the fact that some thought Obsidian were a bit (if only a tiny bit) more than an ice cold dead-inside business.

Your pragmatism is banal and you should be ashamed of yourself. You can't even play these cards proprely without sounding like you're on your period.

Altho I'm not sure this is done out of pragmatism really, maybe they do think South Park is cool. How 'bout that

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I never understood why people held out hope when Obsidian announced it was going to be developing an RPG based on a leading animation franchise.

Which animation franchise did you expect it to be? I don't watch any leading animation franchises, but my understanding is that they're mostly even worse than South Park.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Dungeon Siege 3 was business. WH40K RPG (THQ owns the license) would have been business. South Park RPG is "what is this I don't even". Would this shit even sell?

MMXI

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Dungeon Siege 3 was business. WH40K RPG (THQ owns the license) would have been business. South Park RPG is "what is this I don't even". Would this shit even sell?
Of course it'll sell. South Park is a hugely popular franchise and the RPG label is something every marketing team wants to attach to their games these days.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has somebody made an animated gif of Matt, Trey and MCA bobbing ther heads with earphones yet?

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It could be interesting, but it is the strangest news that I have heard in a while.

South Park's animation style doesn't lend itself to, well, anything--except maybe an indie game. They will have to be very creative if they don't want this to look like a five dollar iphone application. It's an optimistic observation, but this kind of situation can be for the best. Of course, it could also be a spectacular failure.

At the very least, Matt Stone and Trey Parker have an acceptable taste in movies (so far as I know), and they do satirize modern events often, so we might see a few swipes at the industry. This all depends on their taste in games, but using this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V9fHF4NaxM

as evidence, it can't be all that bad.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MMXI said:
Vault Dweller said:
Of course it'll sell. South Park is a hugely popular franchise and the RPG label is something every marketing team wants to attach to their games these days.

It will sell more than the last Bioware effort that's for sure.

jancobblepot

Educated
Eyeball said:
Once again, I am puzzled by the Codex. Bethesda releases Oblivion 2 and you jizz all over the place, but when OBSIDIAN tries to make something different you actually rage?

Same here, bro.

MMXI

Arcane
Aldebaran said:
At the very least, Matt Stone and Trey Parker have an acceptable taste in movies (so far as I know), and they do satirize modern events often, so we might see a few swipes at the industry. This all depends on their taste in games, but using this

Aren't there sound clips from the Heroes of Might and Magic games scattered throughout some South Park episodes or am I totally misinformed?

mck

Cipher
hopefully my dream of a Cleveland Show RTS can finally come true

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
MMXI said:
Aldebaran said:

Aren't there sound clips from the Heroes of Might and Magic games scattered throughout some South Park episodes or am I totally misinformed?

Yes, I am sure that I have heard some clips in various episodes. I have no idea how widespread it is.

EDIT: Evidently, they sample one of the battle themes from the third game in the episode where Chef dies.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
It's a direct consequence of the pro-choice-and-consequence, pro-computer-simulated-live-action-roleplaying, pro-narrative thinking that polluted the genre. Real RPGs, games about complicated management of statistics and making trade-offs of one strength over another while applying them in excruciatingly difficult dungeons with a variety of dangerous enemies, have been marginalised in the favour of the pretentious KotOR 2-Dragon Age-Xenogears triumvirate style of gaming.

The trend towards RPGs entering rather frivolous territory started not recently, but was pushed full throttle after Fallout 2, a game involving fourth wall breaking jokes, pop culture references, and lame fetch quests that were justified on the grounds of being clever.

In the days of Champions of Krynn or Betrayal at Krondor, it would not have been feasible to make a comical television cartoon into a videogame that was of the style of the former. But in a genre about talking nonsense to virtual people with a dialogue hyperlink minigame, about having "wildly different" things happening due to choosing a different hyperlink, and about making pretentious stories underlying it - something like a South Park RPG seems nothing less than the most appropriate thing to make!

;)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You guys take your TV shows really seriously. :) Not that I am a contrarian hipster or anything, but I don't have or watch television - which is why the emotional investment of people in TV shows surprises me.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I guess it's that whole "narrative" thing you don't like so much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom