Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION)

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Contrary to Pale Basement Virgin Matt MacLean's claims that they weren't making a "push a button and watch something funny happen" game, posters at Something Awful are claiming that it's incredibly easy to break and create a character who can destroy all bosses in just a couple of turns (also health and energy regenerate after every battle so there's no reason not to go all out every time). The producer over there is confirming it and saying it's better to pretend to be bad so you can see all the bosses' funny attacks.

Once again it looks like everyone at Obsidian who isn't Joshua Eric Sawyer is completely worthless when it comes to gameplay, and that includes Tim Cain-and-unable, who also worked on SP's combat. Nathaniel Chapman was all right and Josh-approved but he's gone. :M
Don't think anyone will be playing this for the challenge.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Contrary to Pale Basement Virgin Matt MacLean's claims that they weren't making a "push a button and watch something funny happen" game, posters at Something Awful are claiming that it's incredibly easy to break and create a character who can destroy all bosses in just a couple of turns (also health and energy regenerate after every battle so there's no reason not to go all out every time). The producer over there is confirming it and saying it's better to pretend to be bad so you can see all the bosses' funny attacks.

Once again it looks like everyone at Obsidian who isn't Joshua Eric Sawyer is completely worthless when it comes to gameplay, and that includes Tim Cain-and-unable, who also worked on SP's combat. Nathaniel Chapman was all right and Josh-approved but he's gone. :M

And here's what they're actually saying: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...erid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=30#post426459308

h7UCwgZ.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Don't think anyone will be playing this for the challenge.
Josh Sawyer said:
Honestly, I think it's really sad that RPGs essentially get a pass on having fundamentally junk core gameplay. And yes, I do consider combat to be a core gameplay element of most RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The first quote in that image is from this:

hvyaGET.png

So, apparently quick battles are part of the Paper Mario "core gameplay".

imweasel

Suddenly...
fateunlockcode2.png
Just noticed that myself. Looks like they bumped up the release from about noon to about midnight (US time).

:yeah:

Good thing too, it is gettting so hard to resist the damn twitch streams.

Ya know, whatever excitement I had is quickly wearing off. Think I'll wait for it to be ~20 bucks before I give it a shot.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
What if they added thirty hours of grinding and fetch quests, would that make the price fairer

you're from neogaf aren't you

:butthurt:

lol. why would i be butthurt because you're paying $60 for a 15hr rpg?

Where did you get 15 hours from?

From people who have played it. They say it's around 15-17 hours, including the side quests. The length of it leaked a few days ago and the neogaf marketing department immediately sprang into action with classics like, " What if they added thirty hours of grinding and fetch quests, would that make the price fairer?" and my personal favourite, "Buy the game, support the developers, support Ubisoft, so they can give us more quality content filled experiences in the future." rofl

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
END OF OBSIDIAN DANCE PARTY, SEE YA IN THE UNEMPLOYMENT LINE FEARGUS YOU FAT PIECE OF SHIT, MCA YOU TERRIBLE HACK FARTJOKE FAGGOT AND JOSH YOU'RE JUST COLLATERAL DAMAGE BUT YOU ARE OVERRATED SHIT ANYWAY, SORRY YOU FUCKIN HIPSTER DOG COOTER.
dance1.gif
dance3.gif
dance4.gif

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
What if they added thirty hours of grinding and fetch quests, would that make the price fairer

Where did you get 15 hours from?

From people who have played it. They say it's around 15-17 hours, including the side quests. The length of it leaked a few days ago and the neogaf marketing department immediately sprang into action with classics like, " What if they added thirty hours of grinding and fetch quests, would that make the price fairer?" and my personal favourite, "Buy the game, support the developers, support Ubisoft, so they can give us more quality content filled experiences in the future." rofl

Well I refuse to visit that dumb joint so I will take your word for it. I haven't been following this game at all until I saw some gameplay a few days ago, and it looks alright. I can't say, though, that shelling out $60 for 15 hours is automatically a bad deal. I mean, compared to what's on the video game market right now -- not including RPGs -- 15 hours seems pretty average for length, or even above average, especially for console games. Consider all of those shitty military FPS games, shit like Bioshock Infinite, etc. For an RPG 15 hours is short, I will agree, but this is not really being marketed as an RPG, at least not from where I'm sitting.

The quality of the game play is much more important than the length, in my opinion. Up to a certain point, obviously.

Duraframe300

Arcane

You are. Otherwise you wouldn't be spending time here complaining about it. Also 15 hours is decent for a comedy rpg if you consider pacing.

Bethesda games aren't automatically the highpoint of the gerne, because they are 10 times as long than let's say Fallout 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom