Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Mabeiro, just read the post above mine and get off my case.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I'm not on your case, bro, you just happen to say things that make me want to answer. That does not look like a serious comment. However, you took it seriously.

And you think saying one show is better than other is taking it seriously? Explain?

TripJack

Hedonist
this will be the greatest crpg in the history of mankind

you'll see

torpid

Liturgist
So this is another Obsidian game which is supposed to pay the bills and hopefully allow them to make that good game they've always wanted to make at some point in the future? The ratio of crappy games to good games is getting pretty off-kilter.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
South Park has only been funny 50% or so of the time... that is... when I watched it regularly back in college over a decade ago. Can't imagine after all this time it's still on the air and that they actually produce passable writing/jokes. The old pop culture references and innuendos were funny but the 3rd grade toilet humor... literally with that talking piece of shit... was just uncreative and moronic. It's like they had no funny ideas so they just said... oh hey, let's make a talking piece of shit... 'cuz... that's funny, yeah!

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
A good portion of RPG codex users (as evidenced by the threads in RPG discussion) is ready to swallow down shit like Skyrim, Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect, Dragon Age 2, Dungeon Siege 3 and Witcher 2 and ask for seconds, and now the fact that there is a South Park RPG (we'll see about the RPG part) in the making has them frothing at the mouth.

Out of all possible elements that make or break a game, you people consider setting a dealbreaker? Really? With RPGs dominated by generic and uninteresting settings that can only be described as failed (Tolkien's) Middle-Earth clones? It is not like RPG market is brewing with settings that are interesting to begin with, let alone with well developed settings. But I guess some people are emotionally invested in wanting to be a dragon.

Very few (and I'm generous) settings used in computer games could stand on their own. Literary value of most of them is approximately zero. Setting gets value by the way of implementation and integration with the game story and mechanics.

I don't care about South Park one way or another, just like I don't care about Faerun or Star Wars. I'd like to to know something about the game mechanics, like character system and combat system, about the way setting is implemented in terms of world reactivity and about the story and writing quality before deciding whether this game is interesting or not. Not that I hold my hopes up, as I expect a generic dumbed down action adventure, but I'll call it when I see it. Expecting the worst (AP) and hoping for the best, as always, works for me (with KOTOR 2, MOTB and F:NV being decent or better in my book).

Black

Arcane
WalmartJesus said:
I noticed Token is decked out in Steampunk gear....possible Arcanum reference?

There ya go Black :smug:

Oh, cool, thanks, suddenly the game looks ok now :thumbsup:

Stakhanov

Augur
torpid said:
So this is another Obsidian game which is supposed to pay the bills and hopefully allow them to make that good game they've always wanted to make at some point in the future? The ratio of crappy games to good games is getting pretty off-kilter.

Who is going to give proper funding for a traditional RPG? Their contracts pay the bills but it's not like they're ever going to be financially independent. It's not some automatic formula "Obsidian makes x games and then makes traditional RPG codexers crave". A more cautious statement of the pro-Obsidian position is that they may make a good, more traditional and complex RPG, as long as they stay afloat, they're in constant negotiations to try to make the games they want. We all know the reasons this is unlikely to happen. It's like being a graphics designer and only getting commissioned to make shitty Christmas decorations.

Jora

Arcane
torpid said:
No, the way games industry contracts work nowadays ensures that Obsidian will only get paid once. They get no royalties from the games that sell well.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
janjetina said:
With RPGs dominated by generic and uninteresting settings that can only be described as failed (Tolkien's) Middle-Earth clones? It is not like RPG market is brewing with settings that are interesting to begin with, let alone with well developed settings. But I guess some people are emotionally invested in wanting to be a dragon.
What does one thing have to do with the other? Ok, generic high fantasy is banal shit boring, everyone should be glad Obsidian is making an RPG set in some pre-teen cartoon?

jancobblepot

Educated
Excidium said:
janjetina said:
With RPGs dominated by generic and uninteresting settings that can only be described as failed (Tolkien's) Middle-Earth clones? It is not like RPG market is brewing with settings that are interesting to begin with, let alone with well developed settings. But I guess some people are emotionally invested in wanting to be a dragon.
What does one thing have to do with the other? Ok, generic high fantasy is banal shit boring, everyone should be glad Obsidian is making an RPG set in some pre-teen cartoon?

Nobody should give a shit, as usual.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Excidium said:
janjetina said:

Glad? Reread the post with comprehension. The sentiment is: don't care, need more implementation details to decide whether to play it or not. The setting probably sucks somewhat, but that hasn't stopped me before, as I played games like Baldur's Gate series, KOTOR series etc. whose setting was just as bad (and I suspect many of those who ragequitted in advance on the South Park RPG did as well).

For example, when Bethesda has announced Skyrim I decided I wasn't interested in that game, as their gameplay formula (paired with the expectations of bad writing based on their previous work) doesn't interest me, not because they are set in Tamriel, whatever that entails.
Similar decision process led me to disregard Dungeon Siege III.

What I mean is, people should judge games based on gameplay (there are conflicting opinions about what that entails, but I don't care) and currently we know nothing about the gameplay of South Park RPG (we can make conjectures based on target platforms and Obsidian's track record, but not more than that).

To make things simple, would you buy the South Park RPG if it had a well developed character system with many customization options, turn-based combat and reactive world? I know that I would.

Jora said:
torpid said:
No, the way games industry contracts work nowadays ensures that Obsidian will only get paid once. They get no royalties from the games that sell well.

That sure sounds like it's not worth it to do anything well in the game industry.

hiver

Azrael the cat said:
hiver said:
they could have done better only if they got futurama.

You're damn lucky that you phrased that in a way that emphasises Futurama's superiority, or there'd be some mean internet gangstery coming to beat you down right now:)
Yeah, that keeps me wake at nights, harumph.

As more lucid members of the codex rightfully conclude, the IP of south park is potentially much more interesting then another crappy fantasy abortion (youll get the wheel of time to play yet another spastic chosen one, the hero fighting teh evil). Social relevant comentary, satire of current society and heaps of opportunity to throw mr stinky at anyone and everything.

The fact that Matt and Tray will do the writing is a big plus, because SP being written by Obsidian themselves would surely be crap.

As to how the game will play mechanically... who knows? Least of all those who immediately saw it as an adventure game with bad cartoony animation and begun screaming.

SP is a kidy cartoon? lol wut?

Since Matt and Tray have showed quite a bit of taste and competency recently i could say that they wouldnt want their biggest property turned into simplistic shit.
That can still happen, of course, but thats another matter.

mondblut

Arcane
After the Sonic the Hedgehog or whatever "RPG" bioturd announced, I lost a capability to be offended by mainstream "RPGs", only amused. It's not like I am going to touch it with a 10 feet pole, so why would I care?

LOL at obsidian fanboys.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like Southpark and I like RPG's, but.. it seems so hard to see a good Southpark cRPG.. We should prepare an interview or something..

But I must admit, the possibilities of making a parody of the RPG genre and of the gaming industry are limitless here. I'll try to be open minded about this.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Metro said:
South Park has only been funny 50% or so of the time... that is... when I watched it regularly back in college over a decade ago. Can't imagine after all this time it's still on the air and that they actually produce passable writing/jokes. The old pop culture references and innuendos were funny but the 3rd grade toilet humor... literally with that talking piece of shit... was just uncreative and moronic. It's like they had no funny ideas so they just said... oh hey, let's make a talking piece of shit... 'cuz... that's funny, yeah!

That's pretty much my opinion of South Park too,I guess the game could work if they made it a deconstruction/parody of the the genre as people have said but I am not very optimistic.I don't think the setting is the best for an rpg game.
A 40K RPG by Obsidian would have been sooooo much better

kris

Arcane
When I saw this it sure felt like a obvious april first joke. It isn't.

Then I can only say I am cautiously interested. Will be interesting with another setting that is vastly different from whatever we seen previously. but whether it will be a good game is very uncertain at this moment since we know pretty much nothing about how it will play. Must say I am almost amused by the early rage from the codex.

torpid said:

They're a company. The sole purpose of a company is to make profit. Sometimes, along the way, a few creatives get a chance to make something good within the confines of that system. Welcome to capitalism and unless you've got a revolution planned there's no point getting buthurt about it. Just stop being fans of companies - fans of products and individual developers perhaps, but companies? The only competition that matters between companies is which one generates the most shareholder revenue.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Ed123 said:
Nobody jizzed over Oblivion 1.7. The hardcore, spreadsheet-larping old guard refused to touch it, or torrented and subsequently shit on it due to the usual linearity and trivialization of stat-based gameplay. The rest of us played it and said it was either slightly or significantly better than Oblivion, which isn't saying much.

But for some reason, saying something isn't total shit causes retards to shout "hypocrisy!" on the codex.
Fixed. Say it as it is.
Skrym was overall received pretty well by those who played it and this Obsidian SP news has generated hardly any rage at all. The Obsidian fanboys already fantastize about hardcore-TB RPG that satirizes RPG-conventions in a good way and the rest of us just find the very idea ridiculous, don't really know what to expect but are hopefully optimistic or don't expect anything (good) from Obsidian in general.
Anybody who has problems understanding "the codex" in this is either retarded or spends less than 20 minutes a week reading the codex.

Anyway: Hahaohwow.jpg
And: I can see a SP game working as an adventure game with "choose-your-own-adventure"-elements. As an RPG it seems plain ridiculous.

Screw you guys. I'm going home.

(And I'm still not convinced that this isn't a hoax/troll.)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Eyeball said:
Once again, I am puzzled by the Codex. Bethesda releases a surprisingly playable Oblivion 2 and the RAYGE is so thick you can cut it with a knife but when fucking OBSIDIAN signs on to make a cocksucking SP RPG, you actually have kind words for it?

What the fuck is wrong with you people? Is it because it's December? Did Skyrim make your rage reserves run dry? This piss and shit-stained abortion of a game deserves twenty million times the ire and fury of ANY bashed and blasted game of the past five years.

Except maybe when FO3 was announced to be an FPS, that still pretty much takes the cake, to be frank.

Come on guys, you can manage one more burst of rage this year! Obsidian has blessed us with a fantastic opportunity to rage and shake our fists uselessly here - don't let it go to waste.
Have you even read this thread? People are raging about Obsidian making this game, there are only few who find it interesting. Nobody is fapping over this SP stuff just because of it is made by Obsidian. On the other hand, there are more and more users on the Codex who find Skyrim a good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom