Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Combat Game Soars to Life with Starlight Inception

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
what matters is that we had fun discussing space games together as friends

Kz3r0

Arcane
Just to be fair this is the last update in their Kickstarter page:
We've received a lot of negative comments about the launch DLC and want you to know we're listening and wanting to set this right. We are integrating the two fighters and deleted mission into the game and will not do Launch DLC for this game. And I promise never to do Launch DLC again. Ever.

Oh and one other thing - so that the people who elected the $30 level (and beyond) don't feel like we diminished their reward, we are going to give any one at the $30 level and above all future DLC.

Kindest Regards,

Garry

Stabwound

Arcane
Why hasn't this been retardo'd yet? I thought overt advertising plant campaigns weren't allowed here.

DraQ

Arcane
There's also lasers and other active detectors that are virtually impossible to detect, ALREADY IN USE TODAY.
So, you're postulating a laser that can't be detected by the target you directly illuminate with it, yet can be detected after bouncing off.

Despite the fact that any reflection that gets back to you will be distance squared times weaker than what hits target's sensors.

:hmmm:

May I ask you what the fuck are you smoking?

You aren't going to detect anything on IR thousands of miles away
Why the fuck not?

Apparently you would be able to pick shuttle's RCS from 1AU away with current tech.
Not the main engines, RCS.
With current tech.

1AU is about 150,000,000 km, FYI.

certainly not a ship by a contrail (if it has one, ion engines won't leave one, most practical engines aren't) since it will get there before the contrail.
What do I care about contrails?

If you have any sort of powerplant (of any nature) worth mentioning, and you will need a powerful one to power your drive (the drive itself may be the powerplant, but you get the point), weaponry, sensors and life support, and if this power plant isn't 100% efficient (and it isn't going to be in this universe), then it's going to generate waste heat.

A fuckload of waste heat because at the power outputs we are speaking of here even fraction of a percent is a lot and your powerplant won't be nearly as efficient to deal with mere fractions of percent of wasted energy.

This waste heat will have to be radiated into space as effectively as possible to prevent you from melting, which will just happen to turn your ship into a fucking IR lantern.

And why the fuck would there even be contrails in space? Have you been playing faglancer too much?

The ship itself is going to have to be IR shielded if you want humans to live inside it. so, derp.
Intredasting. So you have invented insulation that is even more effective at stopping heat transfer than vacuum itself? Because if you haven't you still have a ship with it's outer surface much, much warmer than surrounding vacuum.

And therefore shining brightly in the IR spectrum.

Just a whole bunch of nonsense.
Good summary of your post.

Also, Kz3r0 : what are you trying to imply by brofisting clueless posts? That you're also clueless about physics? That's not something I would consider worthy of pride, just FYI.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Also, Kz3r0 what are you trying to imply by brofisting clueless posts? That you're also clueless about physics? That's not something I would consider worthy of pride, just FYI.
This thread is about physics?!:eek:
This is news to me, I thought it was all about littlesprites pewpewing in space.:p
Sorry, I didn't know you were an engineer of faster than light ships .:oops:

DraQ

Arcane
This is news to
Also, Kz3r0 what are you trying to imply by brofisting clueless posts? That you're also clueless about physics? That's not something I would consider worthy of pride, just FYI.
This thread is about physics?!:eek:
It's about physics nerds being elitist and obnoxious towards those who aren't, regarding the matters of spasims.
:obviously:
Haven't you noticed that?

It's like little SpaceSimCodex within RPGCodex proper.

Destroid

Arcane
No doubt the space shuttle has an enormous RCS, as low RCS was no part of the design. Free from the demands of aerodynamics a spacecraft can probably be made very difficult to see with radar, but perhaps a different frequency will render that notion irrelevant in space.

For the temperature, perhaps you have an actively cooled outer hull and ditch the waste energy with a laser or similar.

Topher

Cipher
So we've definitely scared the developer off?

Oh well, since this topic sucks now. Does anyone know if they sale EU3:Chronicles at retail, on disk, anywhere or is it a shitty on-line/download only thing?

hiver

Oh hey i see shemar.. i mean knotalt, is on his retard dumbfuck streak again...

dont brofist the fuck for fuck sake... Kz3r0 what the hell do you think youre doing?

DraQ

Arcane
No doubt the space shuttle has an enormous RCS, as low RCS was no part of the design.
RCS = Reaction Control System, not Radar Cross Section. Those small thrusters piercing the hull of the shuttle in certain places.

We would detect them firing as far as the asteroid belt using current sensors.

Free from the demands of aerodynamics a spacecraft can probably be made very difficult to see with radar, but perhaps a different frequency will render that notion irrelevant in space.
You can make your spaceship almost any shape you want, but the thing is probably no one will bother using radar apart from maybe low level flights over surfaces of astronomical bodies.

For the temperature, perhaps you have an actively cooled outer hull and ditch the waste energy with a laser or similar.
Won't work.

Active cooling produces waste heat of its own in addition to the heat it moves around, and in the end you'll need to dump all this heat somewhere anyway.

Narrow beam devices make shitty radiators, leak heat, and heat itself is pretty much useless kind of energy, to make any use of it you need to have temperature difference, which means that to power your laser with something like thermocouple you'll need to let the heat leak out and radiate anyway.

And then you're glowing.

Bottom line is that whatever you do, if you're in the open and not a long dead, frozen wreckage, your IR signature is fucking bright and announces your presence to everyone in the system.

potatojohn

Arcane
Realistically, interplanetary and interstellar space flight will probably be so difficult and space's resources so vast that we simply won't be fighting at all.

hiver

heh...heh...heh...
humans man...

(interstellar space flight is certainly probably totally impossible by conventional means at least anywhere in any nearer future but interplanetary isnt. we are doing it right now)

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The whole problem with colonization of stars is lack of return in the short term.
Generation ships also have societal problems.

Anyway i'd like to see a hard SF game made by Relic. It would probably be primarily a war game but with quite a lot of freedom.

GreyViper

Prophet
Anybody had a chance to play Tarr Chonicles and is worth playing?

It looks good, but looks dont mean jack shit if its boring.

And whats Interplay up to with their FreeSpace IP, Im suprised Harve hasnt jumped on the kickstart bandwagon train to bring us another say Decent or FreeSpace, or is he still spending his money he got from Beth as settelment.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The Kickstarter is nearly done now, 7 hours left as of writing. They still need about 25K out of the 150 goal to get funded. Doesn't seem very likely at the moment, but the tactical shooter thing managed to close a bigger gap in the final hours so nothing is impossible.
I guess notch won't tweet about this game though, he won't want competition for his own space sim :D

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Kickstarter is nearly done now, 7 hours left as of writing. They still need about 25K out of the 150 goal to get funded. Doesn't seem very likely at the moment, but the tactical shooter thing managed to close a bigger gap in the final hours so nothing is impossible.
I guess notch won't tweet about this game though, he won't want competition for his own space sim :D
total Biscuit made a video supporting this, Nekro and Ravaged, and they made a shout out for Republique that made one for them in return, I think that they will succeed.

Kz3r0

Arcane
3000 people pledging 125000 dollar? Methinks some got carried away.

25000 in 6 hours? I'd be amazed. Still...
My suspicious nature makes me think that publishers are channeling funds to this and Republique to avoid another Police Warfare.

Kz3r0

Arcane
funded

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom