Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space games with politics and drama ?

Lightknight

Liturgist
Effectively what i want is Europa game in space, with proper combat. What is the closest thing you can think of to THAT ? All the niggly little political infighting, squabbling between nobles, foreign states with actual agenda on the table, and spaceships. Massive spaceships. With crew. And ranking officers. And captains.
Well, okay, so i'm reading Harringtonverse at the moment, so sue me.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Paradox say they're going to make one in the future maybe after the game following EU4.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/13kv1c/i_am_fred_wester_ceo_of_paradox_interactive/

[–]Pdx_Fred
That is actually something I would really like to do. Being 4X space strategy game fan myself it would be a dream come true. We do not have anything planned in this genre yet but I know Johan Andersson (Studio Manager) is also a big 4X fan I hope we can do something in the future.

[someone]
Sword of the Stars?

[someone]
No, I want a Paradox studio-developed grand strategy, something along the lines of EU, CK or HOI only set in space!

[–]Pdx_Fred
So do I

Supposedly they also play Twilight Imperium.

Ive been meaning to try Empire of fading suns ,a 4x in which you vy for control of an empire, for some time but thats not really what your looking for.

almondblight

Arcane
Not sure how advanced it is, but Pax Imperia (1992) supposedly includes "Espionage options that include bribing or assassinating enemy ministers" as well as other interesting features:

Consider, for instance, the ships. As is the case in many games, Pax allowed you to design ships based on available technologies, and those technologies would improve over time. Unlike other games, however, the user could actually design the technologies. For instance, one might design a gun that does most of its damage only at long distance, and none at all at short range. This would allow you to make ships that would keep their distance and "plink" at their targets. Or you might make a weapon with the same power but with short range, which would be cheaper to build. Then you would try to close with your targets and bludgeon them.

Or consider planets. In Pax, the solar systems moved in realtime, and included not only planets, but moons. Moreover, the planets, depending on their size, had multiple "territories". If you took over one territory, once the population grew they would naturally try to move into the surrounding territories. If these were inhabited by an opposing player, fighting would ensue.

Additionally, Pax's galaxies were "open" in the sense that one could fly anywhere. This contrasts with most games where ships in flight are basically nowhere. This had advantages; you could place ships with little other than sensors in deep space and use them as an early warning system. Or place one in an opposing solar system and use it to spy.

Raapys

Arcane
Emperor of the Fading Suns comes close'ish. It's also an excellent game. However, while there's lots of politics and stuff, the main gameplay is more centered around the planet view than the space view.

Pax Imperia is a good game( though far from the best 4x), but it's more like classic 4x than Europa Universalis in space would have been.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Emperor of the Fading Suns is excellent for this, but only in theory. In practice half the features isnt working and there is almost no AI.

And yes, I've been looking for a game like this for ages.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Daitaikoku
Daiteikoku, literally meaning "big empire," is the third game in the series consisting of Daiakuji and Daibanchou. This is a space-themed parody of World War II, and its latest version is 1.02, which enables one to scout before invasions, to reconstruct buildings, to begin games with fish ships, to perform emergency repairs (by paying resources), and to create custom admirals. There are even new events and ships. Incidentally, the Daiteikoku English Translation Project started on June 23, 2011.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Nothing beats unleashing terrible viruses on your enemies and selling them the vaccine at a premium :love:

Destroid

Arcane
Game doesn't exist. It'll be interesting to see if Paradox can make a good game out of pure fiction.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
I read about a mod being made for CKII that was scifi/space themed. Haven't checked on it because I didn't have high hopes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom