Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Haven - spaceship colony sim inspired by RimWorld

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Zombra, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bugbyte-ludibooster/space-haven

https://bugbyte.fi/spacehaven/

https://www.gog.com/game/space_haven?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Show Spoiler

Neat looking RimWorld ripoff in space. Build a space station and do what you want - be pirates, be slave traders, be heroes, fight aliens, or just try to build a sustainable space colony. Looks cool, not $20 cool but I backed for $1 to follow development. They funded in 48 hours, doubtless their budget will explode and so will feature creep. Look forward to playing this in about 8 years.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2020
    • Brofist x 5
    • Interesting x 3
    • Excited! x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Wow, they've already doubled their (modest) goal with 25 days still left.

^ Top  
  4. Mazisky Erudite

Mazisky
    The art style and visuals are lovely! (unlike Rimworld)

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Watching this, hope it has char creation as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yay, another kickstarter that will never lead to a real game, I am super excited.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Trymon Novice

Trymon
    Remind me of Spacebase DF-9, hope it doesn't end up the same way...

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Looks really damn nice. I like the little you get to see of the combat too. Now the 2 year wait starts :)

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Rimworld's art style and visuals are based around Fisher-Price pawn people, so, I think this may be a low bar to take aim at.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Looks good for what it is.

But I want to shoot some fucking Cylons.

^ Top  
  11. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Weirdly, it looks like they are almost ready to release the alpha ... if so, we're not going to see them do the thing where the game never gets released ... instead it will follow the Rimworld model in this way also, releasing super early and then building for years towards 1.0, getting better and better over time. Sounds okay to me.

^ Top  
  12. Jonathan "Zee Cat Learned

Jonathan "Zee Cat
    The graphics kinda reminds me of FTL: Faster Than Light.

^ Top  
  13. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Not that I've been particularly following development, but what the hell, here's the latest update.

I guess the first alpha was already released, so people are playing this and so forth.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Nice concept. Only part that I am concerned is where they are getting all resouces to build. But even simplified approach will do.

^ Top  
  16. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bugbyte-ludibooster/space-haven/posts/2741749

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bugbyte-ludibooster/space-haven/posts/2818548

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    This guy streamed Space Haven a lot lately and so far I like what I am seing. A lot of people who hate RimWorld setting seem to like this one.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. kris Arcane

kris
    They really should have had different levels in this. Just building wide seems wrong IMO.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    RimWrold proved that 1 level game could be awesome. Deeper gameplay is better than wide gamepley

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    So far main complaint is lack of content. Once you reach certain level you literally have nothing to do

^ Top  
  22. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Indeed, it is a bit weird for a space object, but it can be LARPed that big rooms extend to other levels.
    From an usability point of view, mutiple levels are usually a pain to navigate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Game is out in Early Access.

Looking not bad. Anyone tried it yet? Belegarsson?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Kuattro Savant

Kuattro
    I've tried it only for a couple minutes, and I can tell I'll be spending A LOT of time with it (although most of it will be starting again and again because I'm a compulsive restarter. It's a disease and a burden).

From what little I've seen the game is... hard to describe. People are comparing it (for the better) with DF9, a game I know nothing about other than it was a horrible abortion born from the perennial ineptitude of Tim Schafer with anything involving management of a project.

I can tell you right now a game they took inspiration from: The inventory screen comes straight from X-COM (and I mean X-COM, not XCOM) so at least their hearts are in the right place, although we more or less could tell that already from their previous projects.

As for the game itself, it's a cross between Oxygen not Included, Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, FTL, X-COM (I've still yet to test the combat, but from the videos, the at least aesthetic inspiration is once more clear, although I think it might be RTWP) and a game that has a very special place in my heart, Unclaimed World (oh what (unclaimed, heh) promise :(). And if that makes it sound like it's a strange chimera, is because it is, hence why I said it's difficult to describe.

You start with a crew (they all have different skills, and you can prioritize what they do and their workhours, like in DF or Rimworld) and a limited ship/shipyard, you need to manage resources ("blocks", tools, water/ice, CO2, metals, food... you know the drill), and basically build a ship to jump around space looking for asteroids to mine, derelict ships to scrap and (I expect, I still haven't seen that part of the game) other space factions. I expect you will be able to recruit new crew members, and I know that you'll get to fight space bugs, who can capture your crew and, and I quote straight from the steam page "cocoon them against walls in their base" so that you can "see them suffer in the alien lair and decide if you want to save them or not". That sounds like something people at loverslab would come up in a feverish night.

You can also have multiple ships, and assign different crew to all of them, where they work, where they rest, where they spend their free time. I don't know if that means you can actually specialize your ships, create a factory-ship, and a resort-ship, or they need to be self-contained.

And... that is all I've been able to see in the 71 minutes I've played. I quite liked everything I saw, in case it wasn't clear :)

Something I need to mention is that the game, in my opinion, seems pretty honest and up-front. If you have misgivings about trying it and not knowing if you'll like it before the 2 hours time of refund are up, I'd say give it a go, because I think the first hour will show you the basic gameplay loop, and you'll immediately be able to tell if it is something you'll enjoy or not. The game might get more complex, or more open, but I do not thing it will fundamentally change, so I think even if I've played a little over an hour, I have a good idea of what it is about.

One warning though, I haven't checked any gameplay videos so I don't know if it's like this, but the gif in the store makes it look like, indeed, the combat is RTWP (like Rimworld). I know that might be a deal breaker for some people, so I would check if that is really the case before making a decision.

But as I say, if you enjoy the type of games I've mentioned, then I really don't see a reason you wouldn't enjoy this one.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top