Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer Space Hulk: Tactics - Cyanide's turn-based take on the board game

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Feb 2, 2018.

1. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Sounds like your typical Cyanide game.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Plisken Learned

Plisken
    lol why is every space hulk game broken as fuck and DOA

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Actually, the free one was pretty faithful, until GW forced them to reskin it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf
    All right.

I can only play on my laptop lately, so I decided to give it a try.

I had a rather negative attitude, because I hate card game elements and changing the rules of such a classic.
    But as it turns out, it's incorporated rather nicely and fits into the game. Cards and their "abilities" also serve to differentiate the chapters (there are 4 of them, at the release).
    AI in random missions is rather inactive, but works all right in story missions. I had to restart some of them, as I got defeated a couple of times.

Visually it looks great, there is even the aforementioned FPS mode - you can play small missions entirely using that mode, and it won't be an inconvenience.
    It's actually quite amusing surprise. I use it from time to time, to break the routine of the more boring missions.
    It was made on Unreal engine, and the character models look suspiciously similar to that game about Emperor protecting your legs. Did they acquire the assets?
    Audio is ok, with rather good balance between the unobtrusive music, and other sounds.
    I really like the animations. Bodies fly everywhere with inertia, different melee attacks have also their own animations.

I have only played 2 maps in MP, but the map selection is vast and some of those maps have few hundreds games played on them, so you should be able to sort the most balanced in a short time.
    There is a big variance in the map design, less so with the environments (there are 3 right now - Imperial, Orkish and Eldar).
    Story missions in SP are also well done and have some voiced narration.
    About the story- it's the usual tropes - nothing to write home about. It's just there.

Where they dropped the ball is the AI passiveness.
    You can easily lock it in place with rightly placed Termies with Overwatch.
    On one hand that's clever, as it won't just throw JeanStealers at you willy nilly; but on the other hand it provides a boring gameplay and is outright stupid decision in certain circumstances.
    Every player would throw everything at you, if you were 2 turns from winning the game, hoping that RNG would work in their favor and your weapons would jam, or Assault Cannon malfunctioned.
    As it stands now, the AI gathers the forces for a big push that never comes.
    Fortunately it happens mostly in the repetitive random (called "Horde" in game) missions.
    This is also another negative point. It looks like the missions are tied to the environment and (campaign) chapter you are currently in.
    So in theory there 12 random missions to choose from, but if you are, for example, on an orkish ship, you can do 4 boring defend the objective missions in a row, with exactly the same layout, and exactly the same, doing fuck-all AI.

Also, the game crashes quite often.

But yeah, beside that it's fun. MP is supposed to be the focus of the game, and I have yet to see how's the balance.
    People on the forums cry, that Genestealers are OP, but at the very same time, I just played my first 2 games as loyal sons of the Emperor (as any true Codexer would),
    and I managed to win both of them, not having played the Nids before, and thus not knowing how they really work, and what their cards can do.
    Granted, I won the second one by the skin of my teeth, evacuating the bare minimum at the very last turn.
    I think that with this cards, the Spehs Muurhins have better chance of winning than in any of the boardgame editions.

Anyway - it's tactical, you have to think and plan ahead, it's tense when playing against fellow humans. A little bit expensive, but I don't regret not waiting on an inevitable sale.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/10/17/space-hulk-tactics-review/

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf
    When creating custom maps, you can use all different kinds of special rules.
    As it turns out, one of them disables the cards, so you can play a game using classic Space Hulk rules only.

This game does some things right, after all.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf
    MP is really good brothers, you should try it.
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Do the cards make it better or weaker than its TT counterpart?

^ Top  
  9. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf
    I'd say that the cards do both.

They give both sides ways to mitigate the risks. They serve as a way to differentiate the Chapters and Broods. They also add a certain element of uncertainty, because you don't know what cards your opponent has (but after a few games you'll know what most of the do, so you'll know roughly what to expect). They can be used to gain temporary or permanent advantages for melee and shooting (although permanently melee buffing cards are very rare, and you still can make a dent in them using your own cards).

They may also serve as a focal point, around which you can try and design your whole strategy - and that is a negative point, as it takes the focus from good tactical play, and moves it towards some retarded deck building thing.
    But I personally haven't succumbed to that, and I only rarely see players trying to do some kind of a "meta" build.
    You can also play skirmish maps that disable the cards, so you play only with unchanged boardgame rules.
    I also think, that cards give the SM side a little better chances to win, than in the board game, which is good.

After recent patch the game is more stable in MP.
    What I don't like, is that you are not limited in your squad composition whatsoever. I.e. you can take 3 Assault Cannons , a Heavy Flamer, and Librarian in your 5 man squad.
    And in the hands of a competent SM player that makes certain maps neigh unwinnable for Geanstealers.

I played a couple of games against the Nr 1 SM player at that given moment, and I got a very tight and cramped map 2 times in a row, and the only thing that would allow me to have a shot at closing to melee was, if I drew a certain card at the very beginning of the game (and I had only 1 of those cards). Other than that, the guy had the map "solved" in such a way, that I was completely blocked, and because it was a small map, I never had a chance to gather enough forces to make attacking through Overwatch a viable decision, given the probabilities of at least one GS surviving.
    For our third match we got a more open map with long corridors, so the guy took 3 Assualt Cannons to lock them. Thankfully this time I managed to throw enough bodies at him at the right moment, that he run out of ammunition and didn't have enough AP to reload and secure all avenues of approach.
    That guy was good, but also turned out to be a bro :obviously:

I also had my first rage-quitter today, that used the old Alt + F4 combo, when I got to his first terminator.

Anyway, the game is fun and tense in MP, I recommend it if it's on sale.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf
    So, I wrote that cards help differentiate the Chapters, and that the MP is quite balanced, right?
    Scratch that. Ultramarines are fucking Sonics, just take a look at that:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Normal Genestealers have 6 Action Points (AP's). Regular Space Marines have 4 AP's.
    You can buff the number of Space Marine AP's by using points from a general pool (Squad Points - SP's).
    And you can further buff that number by playing cards, that transfer AP's from one character to another.
    But in best circumstances you can get sth like 12 AP's (in theory more, but I was able only to get 11 myself, and haven't seen anyone with more so far), and that means that one character will be useless this turn, and no other marine will be able to use SP's (because you are using them all).

There is a separate pool of Command Points, which you pay to use cards (that give you various bonuses).

Now, look at those screenshots - the guy above has 18 AP's, and even his other guy has 8.
    That is possible with a certain combo of cards, that generate CP's on kill and you can recycle cards that you used; and in turn use cards that buff your AP's, then you get more cards granting CP's for each kill,
    more cards that give you AP's and so on.
    So yeah, Terminators are more nimble than genestealers.

But so far it's the only blatant example of such a loophole.

That's Cyanide for you. They rushed the game to release, and it shows. Not only certain maps are unbalanced, some cards are unbalanced (and this can be a very difficult task to do it right), but the AI passiveness was the first thing that you notice when playing the game. I can't believe that those issues weren't brought up during the beta.

Nevertheless, the game was patched and is much more stable in MP. And the MP itself is still fun and tense experience.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. OndrejSc Arcane Patron

OndrejSc
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    That's what she said.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf
    Looks like the game is dead.

Except for a handful of people nobody plays it, and it looks like the developers are not working on fixing remaining issues anymore.
    If you don't have steam friends playing it, there's only a very small chance that you'll get a match.
    The SP is still decent, though, but the game is too expensive for just that.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)