Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Rangers: A War Apart (SR2 HD Remaster)

Heresiarch

Prophet
http://spacerangershd.com/

Half a year ago I thought this project was dead but a week ago it suddenly declared translation fucking complete and will be released soon. Extra features and contents include:
  • New pirate subplot. After completing any one of the story branches a player can either end the game, or continue playing to complete another branch. the player’s actions influence the entire Galaxy, while the balance in either of wars may be tipped not only by the player, but by AI actions as well. No two playthroughs will be the same.
  • Major technical overhaul. Display resolutions up to 1920×1200, multi-core processors, Windows® 7, and anti-aliasing in 3D planetary battles are now fully supported.
  • Extended soundtrack means you’ll hear more than 15 completely new musical themes specially created for deeper immersion into the amazing Space Rangers universe.
  • Other improvements include more than 10 new text adventures, 15+ planetary battle maps, 20+ government missions, unique non-story events, new equipment and micromodules, access to all hyperspace engagements from the main menu and more!
Anyone who likes space game should definitely keep an eye on this as SR2 is one of the best ever. 10 new text adventures OMGWTFBBQ :bounce:

Last edited:

Multi-headed Cow

If only I could ignore everything in SR2 that isn't the turn based space combat or a text adventure.

Turjan

Arcane
This game is like a revenant. It's a good game, but still...

Lhynn

Arcane
I enjoyed playing, but its lacking a bit of actual characterization, that would make it outstanding

Multi-headed Cow

Not if I want the fattest of loots I can't!

If the Russian version is anything to go by it will be $15. Can't complain about the milking if they are going to price it that well.

I do hope that a true SR3 is in the works though.

Thane Solus

Arcane
the developers of Space rangers are also the same the developers of King's Bounty. This HD version is made by a third party or some group of "modders"

Stabwound

Arcane
Wow, how many times has this game been released and re-released and had expansions released? The game is almost 10 years old now, so why haven't they made a Space Rangers 3 instead of rehashing the same old game over and over?

Lhynn

Arcane
Wow, how many times has this game been released and re-released and had expansions released? The game is almost 10 years old now, so why haven't they made a Space Rangers 3 instead of rehashing the same old game over and over?
are you daft? that requires actual effort...
But really i think the reason behind it is that the game should really get more attention, its solid, fun and creative, still obscure for most people because it has been buried unfairly again and again by mountains of shit people like to call games. So their answer to that is "Fuck it, well just release it again". they are bound to get noticed eventually, or thats what they probably think.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
wait, is this a remaster of vanilla or reboot/revolution?

Heresiarch

Prophet
wait, is this a remaster of vanilla or reboot/revolution?

It's better than the remaster of Reboot (I don't even understand what's this Revolution version is), with addition of new plot line and stuff. The 10 new text adventures could also be what the original Russian version of Reboot introduced, which are not in the English version.

This game was not re-released that much actually, only officially twice in English - the original Space Rangers 2, and the expanded Space Rangers 2 - Reboot. The Reboot version in English was as mentioned before not even perfect, as it didn't include the new text adventures. Personally I think this game is worth to be released again even after 10 years. If people will buy ancient GOG games priced at 10 then why not buy this one too? It's quite a nice game. The only "bad" part is the RTS, which is actually not bad in itself, as the RTS AI is very good, the maps are very well designed, and the robot designing, and FPS shooting are fun.

SR:Revolution was a free unofficial expansion or something. I'm not sure what that works out to be or who did it. My understanding is that the original SR2 team is gone by now and that Reboot/Revolution/HD has been some kind of half community mod half skeleton dev crew project. Someone who knows Russian can probably tell you a lot more than I can though.

Anyone who likes space 4X should definitely keep an eye on this as SR2 is one of the best ever.
so do you have no idea what the 4x genre is or have you never played sr2?

Apparently I was too excited and mixed up SR2's genre with Total War and Civilization...

SR2 is kind of what a 4x played from the standpoint of a single independent unit would be like.

DefJam101

Arcane
Great game but barring a complete retranslation of all in-game text to be less awkward I don't think this needs another rerelease

Gozma

Arcane
The bad translation/writing in the text adventure stuff was genuinely unpleasant and made me avoid them.

oscar

Arcane
Pirate ship Pat-Fuck reporting in.

Time to listen to our favourite song.

Heresiarch

Prophet
We are glad to inform you, that the release date of the game is now confirmed! Rangers would be able to free (or destroy) the Galaxy on October 17th on Steam! Also, a bit later there will be a retail DVD release (but discs also require Steam activation) in Europe. Country list and exact date for retail version will be specified within a few days.
And small teaser in the end of message: when game will be available in stores, the Galaxy Rating of Rangers will be laucnhed on this site, and everyone in every place in the all known Universe can compete with another rangers in killing dominators and pirates, trade and so on!

Gotta finish Arcanum ASAP to prepare for this awesomeness

tindrli

Arcane
FINNALY FOR FUCK SAKE!!!!: i thought that i would die before they release the damn thing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom