Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Rangers: A War Apart (SR2 HD Remaster)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
One of the best games of the century and very likely to remain so. The remaster only makes it better. Sometimes, Russians make good games.

Lhynn

Arcane
Promised myself id replay this game, and i will, hopefully before the end of this year.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I have SR 2 Reboot on a USB drive. Its just the installation folder off of Impulse where I had the game. Works like a charm, and ive got it anywhere i go.

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Well explain to me how one is supposed to play this degenerate gameplay?

Go to planet, search the database for new scaled equipment, which appears and actually disappears too, pick, actually take a "quest" the description of which you dont read, because its always "fly there", based on your range, ie if you can reach it in time, ie one jump. Go to planet...

All this to grind for better hulls? Do not want.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
There's way more than it that bro. Fine if you dont like it, but the game is brilliant and very well made. What more, nothing out there quite like it.

Master

Arbiter
Well explain to me how one is supposed to play this degenerate gameplay?

Go to planet, search the database for new scaled equipment, which appears and actually disappears too, pick, actually take a "quest" the description of which you dont read, because its always "fly there", based on your range, ie if you can reach it in time, ie one jump. Go to planet...

All this to grind for better hulls? Do not want.

What the fuck are you talking about? The galaxy doesnt scale to your level in SR. Doesnt it depend on how much those research nodes the scientists have?

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
I think it scales to time and maybe level.
Problem is, on 150% (200% seems a bit steep, I tried it and pirates and doms raped me) difficulty, I am outpacing the gear. So this retarded fly around shtick continues. To top it of, the prices vary wildly and dont represent the value of the gear.
Combat is retarded as well. Why should I fight Doms or play the Pirates quest if I can grind my way to the bestes hull?

Master

Arbiter
Yes it scales to time in the sense that, in time the scientists discover better stuff. You set it up on the difficulty screen (if i remember correctly) how smart or dumb they are... I dont see a problem with that. What you can do is take those nodes to the base and speed up the process. Im pretty sure your level doesnt affect it... Right? :?
As for why should you fight the Dominators? Well first because its your holy duty as a ranger. Didnt you read the intro text? If you dont stand up to them they will take over the galaxy and then there wont be any more of this "retarded flying shtick" for you to do.

Last edited:
I believe the only direct scaling is hull size. While you are flying in a 200 size peashooter the galaxy is less likely to spawn 1500 size behemoths but once you get around the 500-750 range everything goes. I think overall tech rate isn't based on nodes given to science stations but on number of active planets (along with perhaps how wealthy they are). Science stations are strictly about researching the anti-dominator stuff. It's definitely not about your ranger level or xp gained.

As to why you should fight the dominators, its the best way to make cash (dom junk can sell at 100% or even 200% rate at science stations, normal crap only sells around 30%) and you need to defend/liberate systems to keep your tech rate going forward.

Prices vary wildly based on the race that manufactured it (more expensive races = equipment has more durability) and size (smaller obviously better, saves room for loot and keeps your ship fast).

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Well, acshually it turns out, the game scales the enemies gear to your money and sum of gear, olofuckinglel! And the stores to time.
So you are fighting Oblivion-like enemies in space! Only to buy better gear later to fight more Oblivion bandits in space and waste money on repairing your damage.
Hamster wheel design.
All this grind to fight Doms to grind more.
Dont even get me started on planetary battles...

I'm not convinced that Doms scale. It might just be a distance from their home thing. If they do scale then the effect is pretty limited. You might fight dominators with 15% + 3 defense and 600 speed early on and 30% + 6 defense and 800 speed later. You're also always going to have the atk/def advantage over the non-boss enemies.

Stores are definitely not scaled on time alone. If you play on 200% difficulty there's a huge difference between managing to hold out in 3-6 systems for a few years and get some tech boosts vs. being beaten back into a single system and literally going 20 years before missile launchers start appearing in stores.

Obviously the coalition and pirates improve as their tech level goes up. This isn't Oblivion where Daedric armor is a rare artifact forged centuries ago. Someone invents a better way to build a gun, people start producing those guns immediately because there's a god damn war going on.

doms don't scale. they progress. i've had plenty of games where they were no threat at all.
unfortunately i grew bored of this, mainly because once you finish the cyoas there's no more real money to be earned and the wear and tear of high end equipment can be brutal.

Nanitoids will repair your equipment at 5% per day, quite essential to have. Best way to find artifacts is black holes, if you equip the sensor artifacts then you can see what each enemy carries and the last one you kill is what you'll get. Also the ground RTS missions always give absurd amounts of money. THAT'S something that clearly scales.

If you're not aware, you don't need to fight much or have uber equipment to win the game. All you need is a good jump drive to get to the boss and then use one of the methods to kill or neutralize them. I think the only one that you need the science station research to beat in a non-space combat method is the Red ones, the Greens and Blues can theoretically be killed in year 1 if you can get to them and beat the land/black hole battle.

tindrli

Arcane
I just love to play damn thing. And my main problem over a years and years of playing is TIME ! There is not enough time coz once they start to sell 1000 speed engine is game over

Unwanted

Trumpenreich

Unwanted
I loved the first version but all the rebalancing ruined the ones I played after that. Did anyone play this yet and determine if it works well?

Nanitoids will repair your equipment at 5% per day, quite essential to have. Best way to find artifacts is black holes, if you equip the sensor artifacts then you can see what each enemy carries and the last one you kill is what you'll get. Also the ground RTS missions always give absurd amounts of money. THAT'S something that clearly scales.

If you're not aware, you don't need to fight much or have uber equipment to win the game. All you need is a good jump drive to get to the boss and then use one of the methods to kill or neutralize them. I think the only one that you need the science station research to beat in a non-space combat method is the Red ones, the Greens and Blues can theoretically be killed in year 1 if you can get to them and beat the land/black hole battle.

unfortunately the ground rts missions are as fun as chopping your own hands with a rusty spoon.

I like em once in a while.

Shame that you always get the same first few missions in every game though, gets tiresome.

tindrli

Arcane

unfortunately the ground rts missions are as fun as chopping your own hands with a rusty spoon.

Shit. With all those years playing i learned to even like ground missions to certain degree.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Started playing this again, it has been years. Messing around with pirating as undercover agent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom