Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Traders

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
I've been thinking of getting a space trading game, but I'm not sure which to pick up. Which of these would you folks recommend?

-Escape Velocity: Nova
-Space Empires: Starfury
-Flatspace
-X2: The Threat

And are there any I am missing? (besides Freelancer, which I heard sucked)

Spazmo

Erudite
Definitely EVN. Definitely. Saint tells me Starfury isn't that great and I know from experience that X2 sucks--Exitium will back me up on this. Never played Flatspace, but I can assure you that EVN is really cool.

Psilon

Erudite
I haven't played Flatspace or X2, but EVNova is far superior to Starfury. Now that there's a Win32 mission editor, the game's an even better value.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I have to go with EVN as well. You may wanna look into Vegaspace while you're at it. It's free, and it's open source. While not the best of space-sims out there, it definitely was fun and has a good trade system with LOTS of items you can transport back and forth. Nothing I've found beats EVN though. Nothing.

EEVIAC

Erudite
I enjoyed X2 up until the point where I discovered I didn't like it (took about a week, give or take the first 10 hours.) At the end of it I realized I didn't really enjoy space traders, not unless there was some kind of character customization.

Greenskin13

Erudite
After a few hours, the X2 controls started to eat my soul. No joke. So I'll drop my two cents in the EVN hat.

chiefnewo

Liturgist
I gave up X2 the second I was rammed into during a fight. Apparently "don't crash into people" isn't an important function of the ai. Get EVN.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
And EVN wins by a landslide!

I hear you can conquer planets in Nova. Is that as awesomely cool as it sounds?

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
Dang. What are the payoffs like? Permanent home base, or just some crappy credits?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Realbumpbert said:
Dang. What are the payoffs like? Permanent home base, or just some crappy credits?

Crappy credits and major reputation hit. It can take a good hour or so to conquer a planet.

Dhruin

Liturgist
X2 is worth a look depending on your preferences. It does have a number of flaws and limitations but it's the best first-person trader I've played...provided you have patience (it will take 20-30hours to get going). On the other hand if the first-person bit doesn't count for much and you'd like more strategic options with your ships, definitely get EVN.

Jed

Cipher
I loved everything about EVN except for the combat. I was never able to kill a single ship. I just traded and ran from combat and followed the plot arcs as far as I could, which was a blast, but I found the combat to be truly unplayable, for me at least. I wish the rate of fire from enemy ships would have been a little slower in general, and that my ships could take a bit more damage...

Greenskin13

Erudite
Mmmhmm, I could only do combat in a Polaris vessel, and those things can take out entire fleets. Regular ships were too dificult for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom