Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Well, that certainly clears everything up, but bear in mind it's written "role-playing game". "A role-playing game" would actually sound more natural imo, but better get the opinion from a native speaker there.

On that subject, make sure you get someone to check the text for engrish before launching it for sale.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
This was intentional, actually. Maybe I'm overthinking but hear me out - nowadays every game - Call of Duty, Candy Crush clones etc. - has some "RPG" in it albeit in reality it is usually some leveling or loot. And, very often RPG is actually action RPG. And if you are more into those things, this game for better or for worse is certainly not it. I'd like to market game on Steam as precisely, as possible; less refunds and better rating in store algorithm.

With "Space Wreck" my main focus was to try make a game where you _role play_ your chosen character, more like actual table top experience. And, that combat is really optional. Also, I wanted to distinguish myself from slew of pleb RPGs flooding Steam every day. Hence the title which is weird but I think it should be technically correct. Also, for example, here it is used: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/visiting/homepage/pageContent-area/offer/role-play-game in relatively respectable medium.

Having said that, I will, of course, quickly abandon this nonsense and rebrand to "RPG" or "ROLE PLAYING GAME" if I see there's too much of dislike, confusion, "I am not getting this, man" in primary target audience (like codex here). So thanks for speaking up!

P.S. (added some time later)
....but yeah, probably also "roleplaying game" would set a desired focus on the role playing

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Because I've decided to publish "Space Wreck" on Steam, I've taken the web version offline.

In process of moving to Steam, game has been drastically changed visually and progressively improved in all areas, so much as it - IMO - looks and feels like a different game, remaster in a way. Game will have a price because, turns out, free games rank lower and might give the wrong idea.

I'll soon put on a Steam page, after that there'll be Early Access (because why not have a free +1 launch day) and, if there will be at least some people interested in, full release.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
btw, you can't make a game early access if it's already finished or nearly finished.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Even if 100+% of planned content is in already, it does not mean game is finished because only when actual players get their hands on the game, you can see if it works. And most likely it'll break. It's the best test you can have before full launch. Especially for small indie "studio" (its me and my pal, now) it is very valuable because I have no QA, no testers. First public alpha I did here (you can read it in first pages of thread) revealed a lot of problems and prompted significant changes.

Balancing, tweaks, bug fixes - that is what I'm hoping to get out of EA launch.

And, I cannot find any quote from Valve saying that I can not release a finished game in Early Access. I think they actually would really approve if your EA game is very polishey from the start:)

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I tried to do it with my game. They didn't let me.
You can't have early access on beta stage.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
That's something I hear first time. Weird! Well, I wonder how they can determine that the game is in BETA stage. Because SW seemed to be in BETA stage 2-3 years ago but now its completely different, based on feedback. :|

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Well you tell them.
I mean, you can lie... but if you tell them your game is almost complete and you just need to QA and test bugs, they will refuse.
Also, if you go on early access, they might not let you release the game if you try to release it too close to the early access. So be warned. But that's just my speculation.
They also don't let me reduce the game price for my game, for some kind of a reason(I mean absolute reduction, not a sale).

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I've decided to ditch constant auto-centering of main character like this

in favor of little less intrusive camera that auto-focus on you only when you reach the edge of the screen. See this in videp below:

Plus, at any time you can just drag the map with mouse a bit like this:

I'm wondering should I keep constant auto-center as an option in preferences or just ditch it altogether. Opinions?

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Multiple endings and general sense of accountability play important role in "Space Wreck". You can complete game with 5 main outcomes but you'll learn also about the future fate for individual NPCs and communities you've impacted throughout your gameplay

Main outcomes are like House ending/ NCR ending in New Vegas while individual endings are pretty much generic Fallout ('97, 2, NV) ending slides. And, quick clarification - two players getting the same main ending may not have the same individual endings. Main ending can impact the individual fate of a person of course, but there's also variety within.

Here I'm also highlighting the concept of "unlocking the endings" - when you complete the game, that ending is unlocked in main menu and you can replay it at any time for more detail. (Disclaimer: there are no spoilers in the screen)

P.S.
Oh and I added a QUIT button. Only 3 years later. Distinctive sign the game is going stand-alone route.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Small side note, while discussing how important translations are for indie games (there's huge market out there that does not speak English!) I curiously took stats for my own game's text amount. And was quite surprised it is around 30k+ words in dialogs alone. Long story short, it would cost me a lot (at least 1-2k USD per language) to translate if ever wanted to.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Tiny update: brushed up some visuals - this is how RANGED attack vector now looks in combat (turn-based) mode if it's your turn

giphy.gif

P.S.
PC is lousy shot, she's diplomatic preset character

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
agris no

Previously (original version) I used the approach to make and release the game first and then show it. Now, pending Steam version release, I am going the other route - showing the game and not letting it play. For some reason it gathers more attention ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's also a technical reason - while its true, first version (albeit buggy) was complete, however so much has been changed for the new version as it may just be now remastered version. And now everything needs to be retested and fixed. Long story short - current build is not intended to be playable at this time, but as soon as I am done with planned bigger changes, I'll start testing to prepare playable version.

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Been working on Steam page and game trailer and there's little to share until its finished.

But here is a small tidbit I managed to start implementing in the game - personality profiles for NPCs.

source.gif

Basically it comes from table-top RPG world: if you have good perception, you can read people and sense motive, see context of the decisions they make, how they act. Plus, in some cases there'd be bonus dialog options that come apparent if you have profiled the NPC.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Love the approach. It'd be nice to have different tiers of perceptual description, rather than a single fail/pass check, with lower levels actually giving misleading or wrong information. Too much work for a crowded game, but on a smaller setting like yours it might be doable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interviewed by Indiegraze: https://www.indiegraze.com/2019/09/25/interview-space-wrecks-martins-ceplis/

Interview: Space Wreck’s Martins Ceplis
on September 25, 2019

Space Wreck, influenced by classic isometric RPGs like Fallout and Arcanum, vaults players into a touch-and-go salvage operation on a derelict starship. With a focus on choice-fueled roleplaying and multiple solution methods, I chatted up dev Martins Ceplis of Pahris Entertainment SIA on the creative drive propelling his work.

Erik Meyer: Obviously, the Fallout and Arcanum influences shape the Space Wreck design interface, but what drew you specifically to offworld pirate conflicts in asteroid mining?

Martins Ceplis: Growing up, I read a lot about space exploration history – the U.S.S.R. and U.S. space race, Moon landings, orbital space stations, and so on. Probably that’s why I always preferred more grounded, “hard” science fiction to space operas.

I even wrote some short sci-fi stories myself; the ethics of manned asteroid mining was one of the themes – it opens new harsh, unfamiliar topics about brutal reality in space. How the scale is so tremendous that it changes even the most basic things. Air, water, waste – there is nothing available by default, like on Earth; everything you need takes a lot of effort to import or produce and thus costs dearly in space. And given this situation, what if the worker is not performing, what do you? Ship him back? Expensive! Keep him there? Expensive! What about jurisdictions? It’s so far from anyone who is able to enforce the law; this all creates fertile ground for conflict, dark choices, and terrifying realities.

It was an easy decision, when I started, to work on a space RPG.

spacewreck1.png

EM: With the first question in mind, what key elements in the game universe’s historical timeline do you see setting the stage? If Fallout exists as a retro future following from nuclear war, what has gone sideways to create the current predicament of the game world?

MC: While the world is a mostly logical extrapolation of nowadays, the main theme of the setting is the set of implications that asteroid mining brings to – now interplanetary – business, politics, and ethics. Twenty years before the events of the game, wild, essentially unregulated capitalism in the remote asteroid mining colonies comes crashing down, resulting in a humanitarian crisis. And decades later, the corporation has gone bankrupt, dissolving all responsibility; governments still cannot agree on who and how should finance and undertake the hugely expensive and enormous repatriation task.

EM: I like that combat is entirely optional, which fits with different play styles and the multitude of options you present (hacking, stealing, etc). Do you see there being room for carryover between a diplomat and a science tech, i.e. hybrid characters, or does the harshness of the world lend itself to specialization?

MC: Firstly – yes, combat being optional is a big deal to me. I wanted to make an adventure RPG where you don’t have to become a mass murderer by default; that bothers me personally in most games.

As for the character builds – the concept behind the system is to have a tangible impact for every point you put into any attribute. For example, for every minimum increment of skill, there is at least one skill check in the game. Hence, even if you were focusing heavily on hacking, a single point in speech would unlock a couple of additional dialogue options which could – in turn – open new paths to progress.

I also was trying to avoid redundant attributes – dump stats if you will. There should not be a wrong way to build your character, and you should not be able to make a character that is not viable to complete the game with. Of course, it may be easier to play with one type of character than another. But at the end of the day, you are free to distribute your points whatever way you want and can expect them to have an impact on gameplay somehow.

spacewreck2.png

EM: In terms of style, the pixel art translates to a Commodore 64 feel; in implementing and creating a unique look, what drives your visual aesthetic?

MC: For some reason, dilapidated industrial complexes, naked electronics, and boxy designs resonate with me. It might be the exposure to Fallout games at an early age, but probably more so the fact that I was growing up in the aftermath of the U.S.S.R collapse. I’ve spent my fair share of time exploring abandoned military bases (even rocket silos), decaying factories, vacated towns, and the eerie dunes of tank training grounds (that look like sands of the wasteland a bit). It all rubbed off on me a bit, I gather, including boxy 80s electronics, naked wires, open circuits, and other staff that was usually lying around there.

And I believe our artist, Ernest Klavins, has created a convincing interpretation of this concept. I especially like the enormous set-pieces, like that space tanker.

Oh, and the oversaturated colors – it is an inspiration from space photos which usually have very high contrast because there is no air to disperse and soften the light.

EM: You’ve created an earlier version of the game and talked about intentional brevity; as the titles you mention as inspiration are notable for their huge, open world experiences, do you see the scope of your work expanding as you go, or are you simply creating a small universe with many possible paths?

MC: “Inch wide, miles deep” – that has been the motto of my development from the get-go. When expanding the game, instead of prolonging it linearly, I would prefer to take an existing area, a quest or NPC, and just add more options, more ways to play through/around it; dig it deeper if I can. Less side-quests, more side options.

Having said that, the original concept of Space Wreck had you travel around the Junkspace – the area between mining stations with destroyed or abandoned industrial ships where survivors have taken refuge after the devastating clashes tens of years ago. There they built their societies, “towns”, each with its distinction and story. A player could get the needed McGuffin in various ways, via multiple locations, so it would not be mandatory to visit all of them. This would create different stories for each playthrough based on the wreck you’ve decided to visit.

In the current version of the game, however, I decided to focus only on one such wreck. The rest of the world – the Junkspace – still exists around the player, seen in the story, context, and smaller details.

spacewreck3.png

EM: I note you’re using Meta 2D as an engine (at least in the earlier version), so from a design standpoint, can you describe that choice? What does your development environment look like, and what tools do you find essential?

MC: When the game development startup I was working at ran out of runway, and I had to find another job; I realized I need some JavaScript training. And the best way – I thought – was to create a game. To avoid writing all the basic stuff from scratch – tiling, animation management, resources loading, pathfinding etc., I opted for an existing engine, the Meta2D, which was being developed by a member of our local game dev community I hung out with. It probably should have been safer to choose a more prominent and popular framework, but now the project has grown too big to change the engine and yeah, it’s still there with all of its little quirks.

As per tools – I use Visual Studio Code as an editor for JavaScript and Elm; the maps visually are laid out with Tiled. Art is created in Aseprite, and I use Spine for character animations.

The content, however, is being developed within the game itself in a special development mode. It works like this – you play the game, then, when you need to add or change something, just enable dev mode and edit, for example, NPC dialogue on the fly, or adding an item to a container, or placing a new NPC. Save it and voila – it’s in the game. Development mode also contains various shortcuts to quickly get to you to any point of the story or have a character with any stats/items you need.

Probably one of the bigger challenges was the dialogue editor, since I have to handle so many conditions and navigate through an entangled tree of choices. I’ve been fighting to get this right in my previous games, but it seems this version is the most comfortable and powerful to date.

EM: Tactical turn-based combat has evolved since the ’90s with varied results, sometimes moving toward faster play, sometimes focusing on a wider variety of tactical choices. When it comes to the actual mechanics (stats, hit percentages, movement), where do you see Space Wreck adding to the genre, and what elements feel like standard fare?

MC: I’m not sure if it is obvious enough, but the game is quite minimalistic, and this is by design. I wanted to explore the “minimal viable RPG” concept with a small number of attributes and stats that still allow for diverse roleplaying. Consequentially, combat also is a pretty minimalistic interpretation of classic turn-based warfare: you’ve got your action points to move and shoot, basic hit points, DT armor. In fact, there are only two attack skills – melee and ranged.

On the other hand, I’m toying around with fun additions, like zero-G long jumps – since the gravity is effectuated via magnetic soles, thusly enabling your character to detach from metallic floors and fly across the room. Or maybe kick your opponent off the ground instead. These are the kind of things I want to hone in the early access period with the help of the community.

spacewreck4.png

EM: In terms of implementation, there are always a few things that stand out as novel, creating an – oh, I’ve never seen that before – feeling. Over the last weeks and months, what would you hold up as your moments of triumph? Where do you see yourself blowing minds?

MC: One time I posted a funny gif in a chat of NPCs reacting to you being naked (like in Arcanum), and there arose an idea that people would try to not look at the naked protagonist, allowing you, for example, to steal stuff unnoticed. I implemented NPCs turning the other way and, indeed, in some cases, it did provide you the edge of getting away with picking a lock.

But on a more serious note – it was a showcase of one additional dialogue feature that got a surprisingly good reaction: with high enough perception, you can get the psychological profile of the NPC, the kind police would create of a suspect. This allows you to know the context for her/his behavior and also predict possible reactions to your decisions. Additionally, sometimes, that would unlock extra dialogue options.

This is something not uncommon in tabletop roleplaying sessions with human GMs, but I haven’t seen that in many computer RPGs.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks very interesting. I'm getting Space Station 13 vibes from the graphics.

Deleted Member 16721

I like the art style and the pen and paper RPG feel. Has it been answered how many hours of content the game has?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom