Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpaceVenture - Space Quest spiritual successor by Two Guys from Andromeda

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Back when they and other vets were doing their KSers, did you (or MRY or even DaveGilbert) ever offer to help?

Yes. I talked a little bit with some Sierra designers; I'm friendly with a bunch. At the time, they wanted to do their own thing. Scott Murphy actually mentored us a bunch in the early days of QFI - we'd have team Skype Chats and he'd sit in, and tell us stories of Sierra and give us advice on making games.

I can't lie, I would have liked to have made a QFG-like game with Corey and Lori Cole. I think we could have made something pretty cool - with their worldbuilding, story telling and RPG experience, and our skills at creating point and click adventures, we could have made a game that would have been pure fan service, sure, but why the FUCK wouldn't you give your admittedly niche fan base exactly what they want? We all could have learned some lessons. Sure, we couldn't have called it QFG, but I could have had the game play similar. Well, I think we gave people that wiith QFI, but a game with the Cole's would have had that flavor people were looking for.

ANYWAY, just rambling on, this is all coulda, woulda, shouldas. I think SpaceVenture will be fun when it comes out, but not 7 years of development fun...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This is a small video showing off a small cutscene from SpaceVenture. "Bad to the Chrome" was performed by Jason Charles Miller, with Lyrics written by Mark Crowe

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As expected: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/2519168

Update on SpaceVenture. A look at the game box and more!

Hey everyone! We have some new stuff to show you all for SpaceVenture. First up, the artwork for the SpaceVenture game box is complete and we are going to be placing the order for them very soon. We are buying enough for all the backers that backed at a high enough level to receive one and some extra that will be sold in the Guys From Andromeda store. Those will go on sale once the game is out.

Mark got a reference box from the company that is printing them. Have a look below!

ff3b63a367915ecc6a7aabfb96ec07ca_original.png

The back of the box was not complete when the reference box came, but here is a look at what the back will look like:

8a98dbbf55b40432fe1755cedb001b49_original.png

We put together some images of scenes that happen towards the end of the game for you all. Here is an image of Office Quicksilver after he has pulled Ace over.

e14ff4bb7774e60bc7f937748781cb35_original.png

Last time we showed you a Quicksilver video, we had "Bad to the Bone" playing in the background. We've created a parody of it for you all to check out. This is a video cutscene featuring our parody "Bad to the Chrome". Lyrics were written by Mark Crowe. The song was performed by Jason Charles Miller. Check out the interview with Jason below as well!

7847ee83ff1b1a7f33ca0ed96517436a_original.png

The text was blurred due to plot spoilers.

49e1cf4be2bff5ec963c87979c0caa3b_original.png

b9b42910f6998c569ccf73657f4de467_original.png

The text was blurred due to plot spoilers.

f85359d3e583cc19c2fc1ce538128dea_original.png

INTERVIEWS WITH MORE OF OUR VOICE ACTORS
4ecdc4045df783c945e0d2b787be6be3_original.jpg

VINCE CASO
a716fa1b65204aff22cd05e5a3305b8d_original.jpg

JASON CHARLES MILLER
daa8a5748d3725f6f23f2f6b97a17f10_original.jpg

SUPPORT LORI AND COREY COLE
49696e1abb6245e66a9557e502fc5870_original.jpg

If you've been living under an asteroid and haven't heard, Lori and Corey Cole(makers of the Quest for Glory series) have released their new game, "Hero U". If you haven't already checked it out, you should! It's getting great reviews!

Here are some links of interest: Hero U Website: http://www.hero-u.com/

Review on Metacritic

YouTube video explaining "Why you should buy"

Thanks everyone!

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
In lieu of an actual update, have some highlights from the Kickstarter comment section:

Do any of you entitled ingrates use Twitter?

I looked for SpacePope's profile to see if he had posted anything about Spaceventure recently, but it seems like he nuked his account.

Chris Pope's Facebook account has also disappeared. I've got a hunch that we're not going to be seeing any more updates on this project.

I have plotted the dates of the last 13 updates, going back to update #108 on Nov 20 2015, to generate a 5th order polynomial that fits the data with a 99.9% correlation.

uAaHRnx.png

Based on the trends of these updates in the last 4 years, the next update would have been expected on November 16.

I suspect that post constitutes the most work that's gone into this project in the last few years.

Ken Allen informed me a few weeks ago that the project is still active, chugging along very slowly with a barebones staff.

I asked a while ago if he [Scott Murphy] had any insight as to what's going on. If he could please offer us any information at all. Instead of replying or instead of ignoring the question he blocked me on Twitter.

I just realized that it has been seven and a half years since the kickstarter started. I know Mark is out due to health issues. But is this still being worked on?

Yes—at least as of September.

I was at a party in Seattle during PAX West where I met a member of the current team. Naturally someone asked how the game is coming along. According to this person, SpaceVenture is still in development. How many people are currently working on it and at what capacity it's being developed, I'm not sure. If I were to guess, I'd say not many.

The game has reached closed beta, meaning all assets intended to be in the final product have been implemented and the game is playable from beginning to end. Last public mention of closed beta was in an update nearly a year ago. Given this timeline, I imagine the team is not yet comfortable with the stability of their product to open beta to backers at the $30 tier and above. This is likely due to both the volume of bugs and the availability of the small team still working on the game.

Whatever the case, unless we're only weeks out from reaching open beta, an update confirming the game is still in development would be helpful.

:dead:
:deadhorse:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It is hard to believe a project of this magnitude to be dead if it is actually almost complete as of last news. Unless of course they have been lying, and my gut tells me no.

Whether it's good or not, of course, is something entirely different.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:what:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/2751986

Shooting for a June release date!

Hey everyone! Thank you all so much for your patience in waiting on this update. We know it has been a long time coming. We've been debating on bringing up personal issues due to it sounding like excuses. However, we decided to at least let you all know that Mark and Chris both lost their mothers during a span of time in the last few months. This is not the only reason for a slow update, but we hope you'll understand that it has played a role in delaying things further. I am happy to report that things are getting back to normal for the team.

For months we have hoped for this update to have a doable release date in it. It took some time for us to get things to a point to where we felt good about a date that seems possible.

First off, where are we on the game right now?
  • All the main scenes of the game are completed, including the intro and ending game sequences
  • Parts of the game are still being properly connected so everything plays from sequence to sequence
  • Parts of the game are going through a polish phase right now
  • Almost all of the VO has been added to the game. There are a few small parts that still need to be added
  • The game still has some missing SFX and music that need to be added.
  • More death sequences are being added
  • Some fun Easter eggs are being added
  • Game credits have not been put in yet, but that is on our radar
  • We will be doing beta testing on a very large scale as soon as we feel we are ready. Backers that backed at a high enough level will receive access to beta testing
  • The save game system is going through a revamp to make things work better and have a bit more polish
We are aware we have posted possible release dates before, but our Gantt chart shows that June is a reachable date so long as everything goes as planned. If June gets close and we feel things continue to run behind, we'll post another update and let you know. Either way, the game is close and you can look forward to seeing it finally get released soon. We will be releasing the game for digital download in English first and hope to have the localization stuff done in the not too distant future. Once everything is ironed out with the digital downloads, we will be going through getting the physical copies done. Please do not worry about sending us mailing information yet. When we are ready to mail out the physical rewards, we will send out a questionnaire on Kickstarter that will allow you all to update us on that information.

In the last update, we mentioned having video game boxes printed. We got that done and here is a glimpse of some of the boxes stacked up and ready to be folded:

66664614bd19cb25c87226d7708c5beb_original.JPG

We have two more VO interview videos for you all involving our fantastic cast of voice actors for SpaceVenture. The first video here features actress Melanie Stone(Mythica series fame)

Last up, we have Jake Stormoen, also known for his role on the Mythica series as well as Outpost and Extinct.

As usual, thank you all for your patience as we head to the finish line!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Hah: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/2880033

Beta testing is coming in July

Hey everyone! Time for a quick update. Though we didn't reach the absolute finish line there is some good news. We are about to move into beta testing with all you qualified backers, and then hopefully a release of the game not too long after that depending on how well Beta testing goes. We are actually ready to start Beta testing now, but we are putting some infrastructure together on how to organize such a large amount of Beta testing with you all.

So here are some facts about our plans:
  • Beta testing will begin sometime in July
  • The next update will hit in July and explain how to take part in Beta testing
  • We will provide a convenient way for you to report bugs
  • If you are wanting to experience the game the way it is meant to be played, you may not want to take part in Beta testing
Stay tuned for the next update in July to have info about how to get access to Beta testing!

e6722a15c1bf95aaff7cba68bfdea571_original.png

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This is starting to get into the Grimoire development territory. How many micro-issues left?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Post the update: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/2909932

Backer Beta testing is starting now!

Hey everyone! It's been a long hard road to get to this point. This past month and especially these last few days have been a real pant load of fun activities in getting this stuff rolling. So as we start this process, we wanted to use this update to provide some general details on how the Beta testing process will work.
  • Beta testing will be available to $30 and up backers as that was one of the rewards for backing at that level and higher
  • VERY IMPORTANT: If you are hoping to play SpaceVenture in the state it is meant to be played in, that will be spoiler and bug free, you may not want to take part in this process. Regardless, you are welcomed to download the Beta version anytime you want if you are a qualified backer.
  • We are currently only Beta testing the Windows version of the game, but we will release the others when we are ready.
  • You will receive an email that will have information on getting access to the Beta test of SpaceVenture.
  • The email will provide information on how the Beta testing process works and how you will communicate with the developers and report bugs
  • We ABSOLUTELY will not be monitoring Kickstarter messages for bugs and Beta testing issues, so you MUST use the beta testing method we provide if you want to be heard during this process.
  • The Beta test will be released as a .zip file that can be extracted to your Windows based operating system in order to test.
  • We will be updating the game after fixing bugs and will release another .zip file with the next revision.
  • You will be able to simply delete the existing version of the Beta and extract the new one in order to start the process of testing over again.
  • Please be on the lookout for the email and also be patient as we are sending them in batches. If you haven't received download information within 48 hours please private message us here on Kickstarter.
We are really excited about finally getting the game in your hands to test and we hope you all know how hard we’ve worked to get to this point.

Here is a quick glimpse of the beginning of SpaceVenture in Beta testing mode:

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's actually happening!
80833b55-2658-4b98-a390-595368055c2f.png

Greetings SpaceVenture backers!

As you may have read in the latest Kickstarter update, we are opening up beta access of SpaceVenture to our faithful backers. We are using itch.io for our initial pre-release and will be opening up into other platforms as we go. One of the nice features of the itch.io platform is that you can either download each build as a ZIP file or use their app to install it and stay up-to-date. You should find the link to activate your copy at the end of this e-mail.

For this phase of beta we are asking that you direct any feedback/bug reports to the SpaceVenture community on itch.io (access to this forum requires claiming your key on itch.io). As mentioned, please do not expect feedback via other means to be acted upon.

It should go without saying but please do not share your code-keyed beta builds with anyone... or we'll have to sic Rooter on you.

Please enjoy, but remember this is a beta, so there are definitely bugs needing resolved. If you are not keen on experiencing issues, it may be best to wait just a bit longer.
:excellent:
You'll get 404'd if you haven't claimed the game, but the itch.io page is there alright. $14.99 price point.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Played a bit. It's extremely buggy. Sure, beta and whatever, but I think it's gonna take a while for them to fix this. Also the save system sucks.
I hoped they'd give up on those stupid drag object "puzzles", but nope, they're still there.

Otherwise, I think I could like it. I'm not one to enjoy beta-testing (or post-release testing) so I'll probably wait for the release + 1 year of patches and then go back.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:necro:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/2910018

A revamp to the save load system and then ready for lift off!

Hey everyone! We hope you are all doing well during the COVID world we are living in right now. We wanted to give you a very quick update on the game and it's release. As always, the holidays slowed us down a little more than we would have liked, but we are pushing now to get the game out the door very soon.

We got a tremendous amount of helpful feedback from our beta testers. The game breaking bugs that were being experienced are fixed now and the game is feeling much better on the polish front as well. There is one thing that we have had to go back to the drawing board on. The Save/Load system. This feature, admittedly, has bedeviled us throughout development. With the rest of the game now complete, getting Save/Load working reliably is now our biggest focus.

The issue is with handling each scene's setup at particular points in the scene. Some scenes have many different ‘states’. The challenge has been to get all the variables saved just right or the restored game get’s screwy.

27e394221727f7fe70f545f8f3b389e0_original.png

So this is it everyone. The save load system is really the final big fix that needs to happen. The other items are small changes that we are knocking out each day. Once this is done, we are releasing the game.

The game will be released first on Windows and the other platforms should happen not too far there after. Once the game is released digitally, we will begin working on physical backer rewards. Please do not send us anything involving your address updates or anything along those lines at this time. When the time comes, we will send out a survey to gather all that information.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I'll be honest... I don't know how you build an adventure game without a save system. The entire game should be built around your save/load system... they are one of the most complex parts of any framework.

But I am looking forward to this. I've been watching lots of Futurama - a cool space comedy adventure game will make for a fun weekend!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It sounds like they did something similar to what we did with Strangeland: replace a default "save" method that simply dumps/reloads the memory the game is using, which is what AGS does by default, to one that stores specific variables. The latter kind of save system is vastly more efficient (saving and loading is much faster, which means that autosave doesn't cause stuttering, and save files are much smaller, which makes sharing saves while testing much easier), but it can be buggy if you forget to include certain variables. The only way to deal with those bugs is testing (or not to introduce them in the first instance). It sounds like they may have been a little sloppy as they went, which made the back-end cleanup much harder.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
It sounds like they did something similar to what we did with Strangeland: replace a default "save" method that simply dumps/reloads the memory the game is using, which is what AGS does by default, to one that stores specific variables. The latter kind of save system is vastly more efficient (saving and loading is much faster, which means that autosave doesn't cause stuttering, and save files are much smaller, which makes sharing saves while testing much easier), but it can be buggy if you forget to include certain variables. The only way to deal with those bugs is testing (or not to introduce them in the first instance). It sounds like they may have been a little sloppy as they went, which made the back-end cleanup much harder.

(While I'm quoting MRY in this, I'm more posting this for others benefit!)

Yeah - we use a variable save system (it basically looks like a big excel spreadsheet), however we tied the actual creation of each variable into the save system from the get go. Anything added to the game automatically gets a variable added to it, with its conditions, and the states that need be saved. We learned the hard way that if we want any sort of future patching, this is the way to go. It makes testing 100 x easier - because if something goes wrong you can actually use the save file as a debug file. It also means that our saves are always compatible with any version of the game. So the save games we made when the game was only 5% complete will work with the game when its 100% complete.

Little side note, this technically means that every time you load a save game, it's not *actually* your same game - its a new game that is rebuilt using the save file. I've always loved how our save system works in the game story about a multiverse. :D

Visioniare uses the same system that AGS uses - and it was an absolute nightmare to provide any patches for the game - because older saves can be corrupted when trying to load up 'new' data.

Adventure games are also surprisingly complex, because of the amount of 'hand made' content and interactions. If you aren't tracking that stuff from the get go it can easily add up to hundreds, or thousands of small changes to try to track. I think Desolation had something like 1800 variables.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Lol "The Spacequest Historian" has been having a bit of a meltdown on the comment section of the Kickstarter. Backers are (rightfully) annoyed and he has been attacking them and spamming (enough that Kickstarter started deleting his posts.)
Amusing stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Game complete but another nine years to get saves working: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/3352971

An update on where we are with releasing SpaceVenture

Hey everyone! First off, we very much realize that this update is really late in coming. After releasing the update earlier in the year, the plan was for this update to essentially be the "official releasing of the game update". Unfortunately the save / load system has continued to slow things down. We continued to hold off on this update in hopes that things would get finished.

A few things I want to make clear. We really appreciate all of you and your patience. We realize some of you are very upset and are chomping at the bits ready for this game to be released. We hear you and you have every right to feel the way you do. All we can say is that this game is going to come out. Not releasing this game is not an option. Please realize we are SO close to the finish line here. All of us have dedicated so much energy, blood, sweat, tears, and not to mention family time to get this game done. There have just been a lot of set backs in this project beyond anyone's control. This is not about making excuses, just stating some facts. Regardless, SpaceVenture is absolutely going to get released!

SO WHAT HAS BEEN THE FOCUS THE LAST FEW MONTHS?

The majority of our focus has been on the save/load system, which has gone through a major overhaul. To clarify on the problems with the save/load system, we had put the original system in place during the beginning of our progress on the game, and it worked okay during that time. During the first phase of SpaceVenture, we didn't have anywhere near the amount of game mechanics as we ended up with when the game got to its final stages. Throughout this process, the save/load system got back-burnered due to us trying to finish the full game. Our thoughts were that it shouldn't be too much trouble to bring the system up to date once we had all the mechanics in. Unfortunately this was very wrong.

The approach we should have taken would have been to modify the save / load system along the way. This would have taken longer to get to the final stages of the game, but we would have not ran into the problems that we have now.

On top of the save / load system being worked on, there has been more polish put into the game as well. Our beta testers did a great job of documenting things that were wrong and team members not working on save / load components have been able to put some time on those items as well.

HOW WILL THE SAVE / LOAD SYSTEM OPERATE IN SPACEVENTURE NOW?

In a perfect world, we would love for the player to be able to just save anywhere, anytime they want and be able to restore and things go exactly back to the way they were. In a lot scenes in SpaceVenture, you will get just that.

There are going to be three things to understand about the system you will experience while playing SpaceVenture:
  • Normal Saving and Loading: The game lets you save on a scene and you can just restore back to the way they were when you saved.
  • In certain sequences saving will be disabled: During certain areas of the game, mostly when animation operations are occurring, there will be a red X that appears over the save icon. You will need to wait until a certain sequence finishes or complete some small task before you will be able to save. There are very few cases in the game where you will experience this.
  • Saving in certain scenes will reset the scene upon reloading: On certain scenes due to the different mechanics occurring, the scene will reset upon reloading. This issue has been the biggest thing we've been trying to solve during the course of this year. Unfortunately there is just no easy answer to solving this problem for every single scene in the game. The good news is, this is just in a few areas of the game and understand that even when the scene resets upon load it will take very little time for you to complete tasks to get back to where you were before reloading. Also, you will know when this is going to occur because the game will warn you before saving.
SO WHATS HAPPENING NOW?

We are very close to having the save / load system working for the whole game but there are still some troublesome areas that we are fighting. These areas need to be 100% working with the system before we release the game.

WHEN THE GAME IS RELEASED WHAT SHOULD WE EXPECT?

The game will be released on Windows first. As you all probably remember, we are using Unity as the game engine so porting the game over to the other systems shouldn't be a big problem, but we do expect there to be some issues that need to be worked out for that to happen. We also realize that you all may report bugs and we will try to release fixes for those as well.

After all of that, we will be working on shipping rewards. Please do not message us your updated address information for rewards. We will eventually send out a survey that will allow you to put your updated information in there for us.

So that's it folks. The next update WILL contain info about releasing the game and how it will be going out. Thank you all for your patience and hope you will find the game to be worth the wait when you get it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom