Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Speculation: Obsidian skyrim clone in development

Would you like to see Obsidian attempt an Elder Scrolls clone

• Total voters

Machocruz

Arcane
Clones are bad enough. A clone of something that wasn't anything special in the first place is a whole nother level of banalshitboring

Despite the OP's trollish nature, this is actually interesting to think about. I am shocked that Obsidian has NOT done their own open world RPG yet.

If you are an RPG studio right now with some resources and money (which Obsidian should have after Microsoft's acqusition), you have to be nuts not to think about doing an open world game. This is where the money is, the excitement, the future. And with New Vegas, they showed they can actually do a decent job.

If I was running Obsidian, I would start a limited size open world RPG project (taking an example from Piranha Bytes, who excel at producing smaller open world RPGs with small budgets). In other words, make the world open, but make it relatively small and condensed and not huge like Skyrim. Try to pick an engine that's not cutting edge but has good performance and few loading times. Hire competent systems designers (possibly from other genres, ffs please don't let Sawyer design combat after PoE). Focus on your strengths, and have a ton of quests with choices and consequences, rpg mechanics in dialogue and world, interesting factions, and so on.

It's a no brainer really, because no matter how bad Obsidian is, it''s not like you can be worse than Bethesda.

Puteo

Learned
Where is my vote option for "KingComrade" or "RTWP is the epitome of decline that has been sucking the life from the cRPG genre for decades"

These fucking codex noobs, goddamn

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
People bought way, way too many copies of Skyrim for this not to be true

They don't call it Micro$oft for nothing, selling your studio to Microsoft on the basis of "well we are making this sick Fallout 4 clone with the chicks from Borderlands, and if you buy us we promise to rip off Skyrim" makes too much sense.

Deleted Member 16721

I'd like to see Obsidian's take on the 150+ dungeons style open-world that Bethesda does. I'd like to see something like that. I could be wrong but recently playing New Vegas I didn't notice a ton of dungeons in the game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'd like to see Obsidian's take on the 150+ dungeons style open-world that Bethesda does. I'd like to see something like that. I could be wrong but recently playing New Vegas I didn't notice a ton of dungeons in the game.
FNV was good because it wasn't focused on exploring 150 similar dungeons.

Deleted Member 16721

FNV was good because it wasn't focused on exploring 150 similar dungeons.

Nah I agree, I'm not saying New Vegas was lacking or anything. It's a different open world from Beth's games. I just think it would be interesting to see Obsidian do the 150+ dungeon thing that Beth does. I'd like to see some of the unique dungeons they could come up with in that scenario.

Generic-Giant-Spider

My inside sources have given me permission to release a transcript of one of the Microsoft/Obsidian business calls.

Microsoft: "Greetings, we here at Microsoft have big plans for you. Your task is simple... you will make Skyrim, but better."

Obsidian: "Well we have this idea where-"

Microsoft: "Does this lead to complicated gameplay mechanics and the need of a manual to understand completely?"

Obsidian: "Yes."

Microsoft: "Cancel it. Make Skyrim, but better."

Obsidian: "How about if-"

Microsoft: "Are you going to suggest something that deviates from an insufferably cinematic experience with a big world filled with a whole lot of nothing except repetitive dungeons with new names to trick the player into thinking they stumbled upon something fresh?"

Obsidian: "Yes."

Microsoft: "Cancel it. Make Skyrim, but better."

Obsidian: "Can we have a level-up character progression system?"

Microsoft: "Did Skyrim have levels?"

Obsidian: "Kind of, but they scaled the world to you making the ascension of power feel hollow and unsatisfying."

Microsoft: "Get rid of them."

Obsidian: "But Skyrim had levels."

Microsoft: "But you're making Skyrim, but better. Get rid of levels entirely."

Obsidian: "Are you sure you want an RPG?"

Microsoft: "Was Skyrim an RPG?"

Obsidian: "Supposedly."

Microsoft: "Make it a racing game."

Obsidian: "An open world racing game that's supposed to be Skyrim, but better?"

Microsoft: "You are correct, that is too much of a drastic change. Make it a battle royale like Fortnite, but better."

Obsidian: "So you want us to now make a battle royale game like Fortnite, but better?"

Microsoft: "Yes, you will make a battle royale game like Fortnite, but better, which with our marketing campaign will have it be seen as Skyrim, but better."

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah, Obsidian cloned Fallout 3 and made a fucking masterpiece, and I'd like tot hink they would do the same if they cloned Skyrim.... but... you know what they say about Hope.

ADL

Prophet
Given proper management and a similar amount of resources, they'd easily see the kind of success Bethesda has seen with TES while hopefully using tech that could match the level of their ambition. The latter is definitely covered under the Microsoft umbrella but the former has yet to be dealt with.

Doktor Best

Arcane

But those dungeons that were in the game were vastly superior to Skyrims loottubes with mostly autogenerated loot, levelscaled enemies and a little bit of "enviromental storytelling"

Quality>quantity

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah, Obsidian cloned Fallout 3 and made a fucking masterpiece, and I'd like tot hink they would do the same if they cloned Skyrim.... but... you know what they say about Hope.

First, an Obsidian-ed Skyrim is impossible. Forget about it! They learn their lessen with Fallout3 already~. Second, The new trailer for The Outer World is not bad. It remind me of many things in FNV. Good thing. There's hope!

Third: what the hell do you mean they clone Fallout3? That's enough to get you drawn and quarter, saying that about Fallout New Vegas.

msxyz

Augur
If it's released also on GoG, it is not set in the PoE universe and Josh Sawyer is not put to work on the game play mechanics, I might give it a try.

Reinhardt

Arcane
150 dungeons sounds really cool if we are talking about tb game with full party creation.

SpoilVictor

Educated
If M$ really is seriously trying to comeback on gaming scene Obsidian's Skyrim is very reasonable course of action. In the end, XBone lost console war for the very same reason as any other console: NO Fucking games. If they don't plan to ditch Xbone altogether then exclusive Skyrim But Better would be great selling point for Xbox Two or whatever it will be called.

Obsidian with bigger staff and sweet M$ dollars could pull it off. I'd like to mention that RPG better than Skyrim still doesn't mean it would be worthwhile, but again Target Audience doesn't care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom