Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Speculation: Obsidian skyrim clone in development

Would you like to see Obsidian attempt an Elder Scrolls clone

• Total voters

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah I mean what else about Skyrim, besides its sales numbers which are a result of marketing and (inexplicable) good will from Oblivion , stands out among other Elder Scrolls games that they would reference it specifically? There is nothing there mechanically that hasn't been seen before.

Oracsbox

It depends on which Elder Scrolls they're attempting to clone,I'd rather it not be skyrim or Oblivion for that matter
A53AD689B615EF056E3461D18B586D00E9E53835

I'm still not keen on the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Do they even have capacity to make a next-gen Skyrim clone? In the times of New Vegas a game like that could still be made by a reasonably small team, but nowadays these massive blockbusters are made by teams of couple hundreds of people.

My expectation is that Microsoft wanted them to make some mid-budget content that will fill the time between Halos, Forzas and other console big hitters. That's why they're buying all the indie studios, not to make a Skyrim killer.

SpoilVictor

Educated
Do they even have capacity to make a next-gen Skyrim clone? In the times of New Vegas a game like that could still be made by a reasonably small team, but nowadays these massive blockbusters are made by teams of couple hundreds of people.

My expectation is that Microsoft wanted them to make some mid-budget content that will fill the time between Halos, Forzas and other console big hitters. That's why they're buying all the indie studios, not to make a Skyrim killer.

It could go either way. M$ has enough money to expand Obsidian and make it AAA dev, if they want to step up their in-house development for Xbox exclusives. We must remember that Obsidian is(was) maybe last studio to acquire, with experience and "stellar" record with RPGs: on Metacritic
PoE - 89,
PoE II - 88,
New Vegas - 84,
KOTOR II - 85,
Tyranny - 80,
NWN 2 - 80,
Southpark - 85.
And let me reassure you guys in M$ doesn't visit Codex to get their opinion on Obsidian games:P My point is that if M$ wants to get into AAA RPG market, there is no one better to provide "core" for development team other than Obsidian (well maybe CDPR, but they made only 3 games so far and they are so expensive to acquire).

Or you are right, and they need them to shell out mid-budget games to fill rooster and provide variety either on Xbox and/or in Game Pass or whatever this thing is called.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy

Surprisingly, Obsidian has the same number of employees as Bethesda Game Studios.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
A Skyrim clone in 2019+?? MS must want to throw some money away. Do you know how many walking/hiking simulators are there on steam? Also, Skyrim lived on hype. Can you really believe that another such hype is possible after 8+ years again for the same game? Jeezus. This Safov Hamon guy is really desperate. I get it, dude, you want Obsidian to succeed. Sure, so do I. But how will they succeed when they do nothing original?

Skyrim lived on hype? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dude, people keep playing Skyrim to this day, 7+ years after its launch. They are still making mods for it, they are still making youtube videos for it with hundreds of thousands views+ for it...

A game that was sold mainly on hype but was bad, does not last anywhere near that long. You want to know a few hype-based games?

The last of us. Was considered OMG OMG OMG MASTERPIEEEEEECEEEEE when it came out. No one gives a fuck today.

GTA IV. Everyone lost their marbles when it came out. No one gives A FUCK TODAY. And it was only just 3 years prior to Skyrim and 2 from New Vegas...

Dragon Age Inquisition. Anyone giving a shit about that garbage these days?

Bioshock Infinite. 95 metascore, RETARDS couldn't stop talking about this masterpiece work of genius, in 2013. Anyone playing it now?

Far cry 2, 3, 4. Who plays those now?

Diablo III. The penultimate hype game. Sold 30 million copies on hype alone. Anyone playing it today? The expansion sold like what, 4 million copies only? It has been dead for years...

I could go on and on but you get the idea. There are tons of games that sold like hotcakes and had tons of hype, but no one gives a single flying fuck about them today. Yet skyrim is more than 7 years old and still going strong. You think that was hype and marketing? Get real.

It is fine to dislike a game, it is a matter of taste after all. But it is not fine talking bullshit about a game... Recognize that is an important game that is good for plenty of people...

SpoilVictor

Educated
While to this day I only partially comprehend success and cult following that Skyrim spawned I'm pretty sure that if M$ and Obsidian during next E3 or something go on stage and dropped trailer for Totally Not Skyrim™ crowd would go mad. Add some clever marketing like: It's like Skyrim but not from that bad bad boy Todd and It's Witcher 3 in FPP, Skyrim with deep story courtesy of "masters of RPG" Obsidian Entertainment and you have gold. Amount of hype would be tremendous.

It would be this shit all over again (just change title of the game):

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
It's interesting how the passage of time combined with enduring popularity has apparently made Skyrim a larger undertaking than it actually was, as can be seen in this thread.

Back when Skyrim was first announced or even released, there was no sense that it was this large leap in terms of budget or even production values. It was merely the next Elder Scrolls game. I don't think even Bethesda expected it to persist in popularity as it has, to the point that it has since overshadowed their later releases.

So Obsidian already has a Elder Scrolls clone, and it's called Fallout New Vegas. A newer attempt at replicating Skyrim's success will invariably fail because it would misconstrue what Skyrim actually is -- a good game mutating into a freak of nature partly due to luck and partly due to the success of the previous game, Oblivion, which did very well to set Bethesda up with a casual RPG audience that gobbled Skyrim up.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Skyrim was made by 90 people. Fallout 4 was made by 100. They have that, so all they need is time (4-5 years or so since they're making it from scratch)

Obviously they're not trying to make a Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077 clone, that would be foolish.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
snip that is good for plenty of people...
Sure, but it's not actually good for them; games like skyrim are the cheeseburgers and heroin of videogames, when people say "games are a waste of time" that's the shit they are talking about, no one ever gained anything by playing skyrim except "fun" (modders excepted).

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Sure, but it's not actually good for them; games like skyrim are the cheeseburgers and heroin of videogames, when people say "games are a waste of time" that's the shit they are talking about, no one ever gained anything by playing skyrim except "fun" (modders excepted).

Dude, no one gains anything from playing videos games, period. You really wanna have this discussion in a hardcore video game forum?

What exactly did you gain playing Pathfinder Kingmaker or Divinity Original Sin 2, except additional weight, cardiovascular issues, potential diabetes down the line, eye strain, loss of opportunities of better education/employment/moneymaking and the destruction of your non existent social circle?

Funposter

Arcane

Dude, no one gains anything from playing videos games, period. You really wanna have this discussion in a hardcore video game forum?

What exactly did you gain playing Pathfinder Kingmaker or Divinity Original Sin 2, except additional weight, cardiovascular issues, potential diabetes down the line, eye strain, loss of opportunities of better education/employment/moneymaking and the destruction of your non existent social circle?

What do I gain from watching a Tarkovsky film instead of a Michael Bay film? What do I gain from listening to Wagner instead of radio pop? What do I gain from attending the national art gallery instead of looking at paintings on offer down at the local flea market? Slightly hyperbolic, but you should get the idea.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
What do I gain from watching a Tarkovsky film instead of a Michael Bay film? What do I gain from listening to Wagner instead of radio pop? What do I gain from attending the national art gallery instead of looking at paintings on offer down at the local flea market? Slightly hyperbolic, but you should get the idea.

Just pretentiousness and a retarded sense of superiority.

Also, you are comparing apples to oranges. Video games are NOT art. Sorry. They are entertainment. Different thing.

Just because you are so insecure about your hobby that you have to place some superior meaning to it to justify the stupendous waste of time, does not mean it is art. Nope.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I repeat, what did you gain?

I gained a good RPG, you hook-nosed olive monkey.

You know why people talk about Skyrim today? Because they're deranged, heavy breathing lunatics. Yes, it's true. Notice how when Skyrim released in 2011 that not soon after the world went to an apocalyptic hellhole? Things that years prior would have been seen as absurd or startling began to spring up and become accepted because Skyrim began what I like to call, "The Decline of Mankind."

You're wondering how I came to this conclusion, but it's fairly easy to figure it out when you take a step back. If you play Skyrim as Level 44 Gnome Todd Howard envisioned it, what happens? You feel that this game is shit. It's really shit. It is so shit you have no idea what the big "hub-bub" is about. Skyrim, on its own, makes you unhappy. But what can you do to change this? What does everybody that plays it for longer than twenty minutes do to change it? You mod it. That's right, you mutilate and twist Skyrim all around until it resembles something you might be able to play much like a transsexual undergoing heavy sexual reassignment surgery so they can look themselves in the mirror.

That's right TemplarGR, you and many, many others are to blame for ushering in the era of transsexuals and beyond. People began to change things in Skyrim and reflected, "I could change myself too." This is your fault, and you dare come to the pristine ivory palace that is RPG Codex and spread your heresy on such hallowed grounds? You're lucky I have a soft spot for Greek tzatziki sauce or I would create a Change.org petition to see you struck by a zamboni.

Also, while I have your eyes, Alexander the Great was Macedonian. Suck on those apples, nigga. BANGBANG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom