Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Speculation: Obsidian skyrim clone in development

Would you like to see Obsidian attempt an Elder Scrolls clone

• Total voters

Black Angel

Arcane
What exactly did you gain playing Pathfinder Kingmaker or Divinity Original Sin 2, except additional weight, cardiovascular issues, potential diabetes down the line, eye strain, loss of opportunities of better education/employment/moneymaking and the destruction of your non existent social circle?
Did this guy seriously asked this kind of question? Ha!

Let me put out a better question out there:
What exactly did you gain playing S K Y R I M, except additional weight, cardiovascular issues, potential diabetes down the line, eye strain, loss of opportunities of better education/employment/moneymaking and the destruction of your non existent social circle?

Funposter

Arcane
Things that years prior would have been seen as absurd or startling began to spring up and become accepted because Skyrim began what I like to call, "The Decline of Mankind."

Other popular starting points are the Great Schism of 1054, the Enlightenment, Germany losing WW2, and the first episode of 'The Big Bang Theory' airing on television.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Things that years prior would have been seen as absurd or startling began to spring up and become accepted because Skyrim began what I like to call, "The Decline of Mankind."

Other popular starting points are the Great Schism of 1054, the Enlightenment, Germany losing WW2, and the first episode of 'The Big Bang Theory' airing on television.

I like you Funposter. I hope one day we can go on a camping trip.

Funposter

Arcane

I like you Funposter. I hope one day we can go on a camping trip.

I sprayed one of your relatives with mortein and smacked it with a shoe the other day.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
What do I gain
Just pretentiousness and a retarded sense of superiority.

I'll play ball and do a little write-up right here on sunday when I have a bunch of free time, but only if you promise you'll put some more effort into your shitposting from then on, to me effort is a two way street.

Video games are NOT art. Sorry. They are entertainment.
This will obviously be adressed as well.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
A good RPG.

That was not the question you retard.

I repeat, what did you gain?

The same you'd gain by watching a movie or reading a book.

Just because you're a failure doesn't mean people cant play games / read books / watch movies and work out / be successful / educated at the same time.

That you chose "50 Shades of Grey" over Jack London, Mark Twain or Poe is not interesting, but how proud you are of it is.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Holy shit, I had it all wrong!

Josh is researching Ars Magica. His historical turn-based RPG is inspired by Ars Magica.

He's also researching the Beast of Gevaudan, a creature of French folklore. His historical turn-based RPG will have creatures of European folklore.

ADL

Prophet
Do they even have capacity to make a next-gen Skyrim clone? In the times of New Vegas a game like that could still be made by a reasonably small team, but nowadays these massive blockbusters are made by teams of couple hundreds of people.

My expectation is that Microsoft wanted them to make some mid-budget content that will fill the time between Halos, Forzas and other console big hitters. That's why they're buying all the indie studios, not to make a Skyrim killer.
Daggerfall was done with this back in 95/96 without the kind of middleware and software suites that are openly accessible to anyone with a hard drive and internet connection. Not even accounting for the resources that could be shared between Microsoft owned studios. I don't see any reason why a team of 20-25 people couldn't make a Skyrim competitor. Law of diminishing returns certainly applies to gamedev.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You could probably make a pretty swell indie-level TES-clone with a team of 30, but a Skyrim competitor? Uh....

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Somebody should do a Skyrim-type game with turn-based combat like in Wizards & Warriors or Wizardry 8. Or at least make TB combat OPTIONAL.

Oracsbox

Josh Sawyer is researching werewolves for the game

I was hoping he was researching Monica Bellucci so he makes sure the design team makes female characters look like this
monica-bellucci-dress.png
and not like this
PCdeAXv.jpg

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
- Obsidian has expressed interest in making a Skyrim clone in the past

- Microsoft gives all their new acquisitions an unlimited budget to make whatever kind of game they want

- Josh Sawyer has been playing Skyrim all week. Research probably.

- Its been confirmed that another secret project is in development alongside Outer Worlds, and presumably its related to Pillars of Eternity based on tweets from several employees working on Deadfire.

- It would be the perfect business move. Hit Bethesda on two fronts and steal their fanbase.

Anyone want to poke holes in my theory, or add fuel to the rumors?
Good. This serves several purposes. Not only will it light a fire under bethesdas ass, and hopefully have them try to shape up in some way or even die, but it will also stimulate competition in the marketplace. Bethesda has been able to laze about and grow fat off their pseudomonopoly. About time someone reminded them to stop being such lazy fucks. Also, a few failures in their own field will force them to look inwards and and cut off the useless members or force them to improve, or die.
A Skyrim clone in 2019+?? MS must want to throw some money away. Do you know how many walking/hiking simulators are there on steam? Also, Skyrim lived on hype. Can you really believe that another such hype is possible after 8+ years again for the same game? Jeezus. This Safov Hamon guy is really desperate. I get it, dude, you want Obsidian to succeed. Sure, so do I. But how will they succeed when they do nothing original?
Skyrim lived on mods, not hype. It's why it is still so popular today, and why it has the largest modding community to date.
So far as I know, no other community has had a larger modding community, nor as active.

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
If there's one thing Obsidian's been consistently good at, it's beating other studios at their own game. They've done it in KOTOR 2, Alpha Protocol as well as New vegas.
Beating bethesda at making an open world elder scrolls clone is like beating a dyslexic kid in a reading competition. Sure, you'll win. But lets not pretend like it was an accomplishment.

Deleted Member 16721

ELEX was made with a team of 26 people I believe, minus some outsourced small stuff. That game is ginormous and a very good CRPG, too. I've been saying for years that a team of 20-25 should attempt a spiritual successor to Morrowind, or at least an Elder Scrolls-style CRPG with some tweaks. One day it will happen, one day...

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Agreed. Personally, I believe this insistence of several hundred man teams is just emulation of other successful studios, thinking it is required by default, rather than due to critical thinking. So far as i've seen, several hundred man teams simply lead to bloat and loss of efficiency.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Beating bethesda at making an open world elder scrolls clone is like beating a dyslexic kid in a reading competition. Sure, you'll win. But lets not pretend like it was an accomplishment.
Saleswise that wasn't the case for Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come Deliverance. :M

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Saleswise that wasn't the case for Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come Deliverance. :M
Neither of these were bethesda clones.

Don't you rate me, roguey! It's true. Both Witcher and kingdom come lack the ability to play as a big titted girl, with a bouncy butt, and a plethora of mods, as well as silent protagonists. These games are NOT elder scrolls clones, or bethesda clones at all.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom