Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

ArchAngel

Arcane
I checked Steam and they are on patch 1.34. They have released around 25-30 patches since release :?
And I played in with patch 1.32 and game still have a campaign breaking bug that stopped my campaign LOL. Good thing I didn't give them any money for this buggy shit.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I’d just like to add that drinking too much entirely defeats the real purpose of going to a bar or a club. People who just want to get drunk can do that at home, for much less money. Unless you Slavs have a magical ability to drink vast quantities of hard liquor without going all floppy, I’m inclined to believe those numbers.

PS. Does anyone in Bulgaria care about Philip Dimitrov? I interviewed him once back when he was the ambassador to the US. Only Bulgarian I’ve ever met who wasn’t named Snezhana.

vazha

Arcane
I’d just like to add that drinking too much entirely defeats the real purpose of going to a bar or a club. People who just want to get drunk can do that at home, for much less money. Unless you Slavs have a magical ability to drink vast quantities of hard liquor without going all floppy, I’m inclined to believe those numbers.

PS. Does anyone in Bulgaria care about Philip Dimitrov? I interviewed him once back when he was the ambassador to the US. Only Bulgarian I’ve ever met who wasn’t named Snezhana.
Small world, eh? I've also interviewed Dimitrov when he was EU amb in Georgia. Massive wanker - fucked it up in his own country, got kicked out, went down south to mentor us Georgians. :D The interview was good tho - 71 k reads on the very first day and cover story.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nah most people don't care about him,we rarely care about politicians and similar scum. Now criminal bosses and chalga singers are far more interesting thing for people to talk about. From the politicians we mock mostly the the leaders of the parties and a few deputati (members of parliament). Our prime minister is pretty big star :),after all he is the biggest crime boss in Bulgaria,maybe even on the Balkans. We,Bulgarians are pretty nihilistic and aware bunch,we know that all the politicians around the world are the same kind of thieving scum. And honestly we don't have much problem with the thieving part,the problems that they don't build shit and just steal.

On the drinking part,well Kyl Von Kull you can do both. When i was young we would gather in somebody's house buy a lot of meat and alcohol,make a fuck ton of salad and get royally drunk. After a few hours of drinking and eating the night clubs will open,back then they were opening around 24 maybe 02. You go there and continue drinking while meeting other groups of friends that were in some other house drinking,trying to pick up drunken chicks and having fun in generally. Here we do like to feel the pleasure of the drink,we do drink slow and a lot. Also we don't have problem with going "floppy" in the club,that is why you have mates after all ;).

PS:For the people wondering,this here is a chalga singer:
768x432.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They've been pretty adamant about the price on this thing. GOG has the summer sale now and it's still only 10% off. Any news about an expansion or something?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So... I've been playing this game for over 20 hours now and I must say:

I don't think I have ever seen better writing in an RTS game, and only in those RPGs that are known for their awesome writing.
Seriously, I could kiss whoever wrote Isgrimm. A gay dwarf would be so ridiculously easy to push into stereotypes and make that all of his being or mess it up with propaganda shit, but that character has such a nicely thought out background, motivations and character traits.
He simply is a well thought-out character.

And most characters are believable like that. Didn't meet a single character (of the main ones, that is) that seemed unfitting or artificial to me.

The game is worth playing for the characters, story and the world alone.
And that is good, because the RTS and RPG parts... errhhh... well... they do their job is probably the best thing you could say.
Both parts have really interesting ideas, but fall short in many ways.

The RPG part works better, it's your basic RPG with spellslinging, really. What I dig is that Alt-menu. You press alt and get a menu with all available abilities that would work on whatever the cursor currently touches. And while you are in that menu, time slows down. This is so much better than navigating through long menus or having 30+ slots in 3+ bars around the screen.

But the RTS part?

I love the sectors system. While you can see your overall resources, each sector basically has its own resources and carts are automatically sent between sectors to bring resources to where they are needed - those carts can also be attacked, so make sure you clear out neutrals on the map.
This leads to you really having to plan ahead where to build your barracks, iron mines & smelters, quarries, food buildings, defenses, etc.
All buildings require workers and each sector can only field a limited amount of them.
And you don't need to micro them around, you just assign them to buildings and that's it. As it should be.

But why the hell is much of the vital information so obfuscated?
For example, you can build hunting huts for food, but that will eventually run out. When it does, there is a small notification in the corner for some seconds. But because this is an RTS where you also control a party of heroes, you are usually busy with other things and dealing with replacing that building isn't high priority. So when you do have some time, there is no way to see which buildings needs to be replaced, has no workers assigned or requires some other form of attention. You have to scan the entire map manually for buildings that require attention... ugh.
You also can't see at a glance how fast your wood/stone/food/iron production is at the moment.
Etc.

The races are more or less copy-pastes of each other with some slight differences. In an RTS with so few races available and without any care for multiplayer, this is as ridiculous as it is shameful.
The only somewhat different unit is each race's highest tier unit, but usually you have won or lost by that point already.
There are also not many different ways to play a race. It's not like you can focus on specific units as the game is heavily rock-paper-scissors.

The pathfinding also messes up sometimes.
And you have to set your units into defensive mode or otherwise they WILL eventually end up running one by one into the enemy stronghold. But defensive mode is really totally passive for melee units, they only fight back if directly attacked.
What is missing is a mode between aggressive and defensive, one that only follows enemy units so far.

And then there is of course the fact that you never fight against other AI enemies, but just this weird half AI/half scripted wave-after-wave thing.
What drove them to repeat the biggest mistake that was criticized in all previous Spellforce games is beyond me.

So, do what I did: get it at a sale.
The writing, story, characters, world and graphics are too good to miss, the rest not good enough to justify the price.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I'd really prefer most of the Gaming Discussion forums to be united into 1 or split into 3, maximum. Spellforce being in Strategy is a deathtoll for attention here since this is a dead subforrum.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'd really prefer most of the Gaming Discussion forums to be united into 1 or split into 3, maximum. Spellforce being in Strategy is a deathtoll for attention here since this is a dead subforrum.
I wouldn't call it dead,the thread have 20 pages,but it is a niche subforum in a niche forum.

I tried putting it in the RPG subforum but "some" moderator decided to move it.

Parabalus

Arcane
Ye, the last patch is 1.38 I think, and there was still single player balancing being done. Sawyer would be proud :balance:.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The last balance patch for PoE came out 2 and a half years after release, so they still have a ways to go to reach Sawyer :p I'm still waiting for a sizeable discount on SF3 itself, though.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

They've been pretty adamant about the price on this thing. GOG has the summer sale now and it's still only 10% off. Any news about an expansion or something?
Yeah, it is absurd.
Just goes to show that some publishers have no idea about pricing.
if they were smart, they'd play the Steam discount game.

most buyers have been trained to buy at a discount on steam etc, so you need to start high and offer a discount of 10% by default.

then you just knock your price down to 75% or 50% every now and then to grab up all the cheapskates that are waiting with it on their wishlist.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:smug: I am replaying the game. Now the quests are not even broken,apparently there were artefact quests,never triggered in my first game. Still stops at 57% tho.

Parabalus

Arcane
I wanted to continue my playthrough, but the saves were in the gamefolder (in CURRENTYEAR) and I erased them when uninstalling.

Any chance this will get DLC?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Read it as "even more broken" first. Glad stuff are finally fixed, considering another playthrough myself.
It is a great diversion while waiting for insomnia and kingmaker to get patched. Even on replay the writing holds up.
Any chance this will get DLC?
I believe that it have one,maybe it is a free tho. On the torrent says that it have +2 DLCs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom