Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spider-Man (PS4)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This is the mcu marvel, they wont make any edgy gore filled or even morally complicated games. You will get your AAA game that has been designed by comitee and you will enjoy it.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The best Punisher game was that Capcom beat 'em up from the '90s. I always did like Punisher, only because he's the only "superhero" that gets shit done. Batman and Spider-Man are too busy being moral fags while Punisher just puts a few slugs into someone's brain and burns them to make sure.

I think he's the only comic hero that has to routinely go into cross-overs with other villains because his own rogues gallery don't live very long.

Venser

Erudite
I feel like a Punisher game could be really cool. Apparently starting with this game, they plan on doing a shared universe like they do with films. Since it's done well financially and critically, that will probably continue onward.

2005 The Punisher was fucking awesome. They found a good balance between gritty realistic and more classic comic booky Punisher. As a result there are some fun Marvel characters cameos and levels like Stark Tower with Iron Man suits that probably wouldn't fly in Punisher MAX universe. They didn't shy away from violence tho, it plays a lot like Max Payne if he could do executions instead of bullet time. There are extremely violent interrogation scenes where you're torturing enemies in very creative ways. You can dual wield most of the weapons and my favorite is dual wielding shotguns with a cool one handed reload animation. You can grab enemies and use them as a shield while shooting with your other hand. And the levels are very diverse, everything from streets of New York to a Vietnam jungle or the prison when he lets himself arrested. Thomas Jane did a great job voicing Castle and I loved how you can click on any gun in your armory and Punisher would say a few things about it.

PC version is censored so use a crack to remove the white filter that tones down the violence, PS2 version is uncensored.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2005 Punisher is the only third person shooter I endorse and have ever enjoyed. That game is a masterpiece.

Monkeysattva

Cipher
So, this game seems like trash? Is it? I haven't played it but if you say no... Well, you know: :timetoburn:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really enjoyed it. Exploration, comic book story feel and the combat made the game for me. Combat is this mix off Batman-combat and God of War. It can get hectic as hell at times, and there is a lot of skills and dangers to consider constantly. The one big negative, is that some of the cooler scenes have timed button events instead of real gameplay. Always find that boring, but most bosses are pure gameplay, at one or two points you fight two classic Spider-man bosses at the same time just using normal skills - really enjoyable.

Another thing that I really liked is that the city transforms the further you get into the story. Nice touch and makes you feel like time progresses throughout the story, and that things get more and more dire.

Major spoilers!

I was 100% sure that Peter Parker would die at the end, and you would continue playing as this Miles guy. But nope, now there is two Spider-men in New York. Not sure how this is handled in the comic?

Sizzle

Arcane
I was 100% sure that Peter Parker would die at the end, and you would continue playing as this Miles guy. But nope, now there is two Spider-men in New York. Not sure how this is handled in the comic?

Pretty much the same way. But there have long since been other Spider-folk running around - several incarnations of Spider-Woman, Spider-Girl, Silk, Ben Riley. Just like with Batman depicted as being a loner, but still having Bat-allies out the wazoo, it's only a problem if you think about it too hard :D

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I always did like Punisher, only because he's the only "superhero" that gets shit done. Batman and Spider-Man are too busy being moral fags while Punisher just puts a few slugs into someone's brain and burns them to make sure.

The Punisher isn't a hero. He's a psychotic vigilante. Besides "getting shit done", it depends. Taking out mobsters sure he gets it done, but when it comes to larger criminal organizations he can't take them out because he lacks the patience to follow leads, leave people alive to interrogate and uncover their networks.

Anyway. A Captain America video game, now that would be pretty fucking cool. The amount of variation it could have with levels and enemies is fantastic - from WW2 and modern day battlefield and military bases, hi-tech labs, alien spaceships/planets; regular humans with normal and futuristic weapons, super powered beings and supernatural creatures. And the gameplay due to Cap's abilities could have it all: shooting, parkour, hand-to-hand combat, sneaking and espionage, while at the same time remaining challenging since Steve Roger's is still just a man.

Alas no Dev nowadays is that creative and competent to make a decent game from this.
:negative:

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
2005 The Punisher was fucking awesome. They found a good balance between gritty realistic and more classic comic booky Punisher. As a result there are some fun Marvel characters cameos and levels like Stark Tower with Iron Man suits that probably wouldn't fly in Punisher MAX universe. They didn't shy away from violence tho, it plays a lot like Max Payne if he could do executions instead of bullet time. There are extremely violent interrogation scenes where you're torturing enemies in very creative ways. You can dual wield most of the weapons and my favorite is dual wielding shotguns with a cool one handed reload animation. You can grab enemies and use them as a shield while shooting with your other hand. And the levels are very diverse, everything from streets of New York to a Vietnam jungle or the prison when he lets himself arrested. Thomas Jane did a great job voicing Castle and I loved how you can click on any gun in your armory and Punisher would say a few things about it.

PC version is censored so use a crack to remove the white filter that tones down the violence, PS2 version is uncensored.

That looks pretty cool. Thanks, I'm interested now.

I don't understand the hate on non-lethal heroes. It's usually explained by their morals which boils down to that is a device to ensure long lasting feuds and returns of these villains and creating fan favorite villains. And Spider-Man has definitely killed people before. I know he avoids it but he's done it. You have to remember Spider-Man is initially young, morally inclined, and very naive with black and white views of right and wrong. This causes issues later on in comics. I can't speak for Batman, I know more about Spider-Man than him easily.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
IulT80w.jpg

Not sure how this is handled in the comic?

A couple of years ago there was an event where every universe collided with another universe, and thereby ending all of reality as we know it. The final two universes to collide were the Official Marvel Universe (Earth 616) and the Ultimate Marvel Universe (Earth 10xx-something). All of reality was then reshaped by Dr. Doom, who became its God.

A handful of characters from those two last universes managed to hide away in an escape pod and crash in Dr. Doom's reshaped reality. One of them was Miles Morales. When reality was 'corrected', Miles was one of a handful of non-Earth 616 characters to survive the process and find themselves in the newly restored Official Marvel Universe. Old Man Logan (a grey-haired Wolverine) is another such character.

Squid

Arbiter
YSY53bt.jpg

This was and always will be the best spider-man game. However this new one doesn't look too bad. Seems like they took to heart the complaints people made about the abundance of quick time events in those early videos. Seems like the PS4 now has at least 3, maybe 4 games to justify its $500 price tag.
I did really dig this one. It is in my top 3 Spider-Man games I've played.
Also, if you're talking USD you can get a PS4 Pro for like 400 USD and regular slim for 300. Even cheaper during sales/Black Friday deals. I got my slim on Black Friday in 2016 for 200 and it came with Uncharted 4 which turned into a gift for someone because I've never played Uncharted.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Punisher isn't a hero. He's a psychotic vigilante.

The Punisher is the only real hero. Guys like Batman, Captain America, Iron Man, Superman etc. are just public masturbators. Go back in history and p much everybody hailed as a hero mostly engaged in the brutal slaughter of monsters and villains.

Squid

Arbiter
A hero is just someone who is admired for their bravery, courage, feats, qualities, etc. You can find heroes who killed people and heroes who didn't.

The idea of a hero is not a decision of killing or not. It's about how they affect the people/community around them and they will not be heroes to everyone.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The Punisher isn't a hero. He's a psychotic vigilante.

The Punisher is the only real hero. Guys like Batman, Captain America, Iron Man, Superman etc. are just public masturbators. Go back in history and p much everybody hailed as a hero mostly engaged in the brutal slaughter of monsters and villains.

By that definition firefighters aren't heroes but Muslim terrorist are.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
A couple of years ago there was an event where every universe collided with another universe, and thereby ending all of reality as we know it. The final two universes to collide were the Official Marvel Universe (Earth 616) and the Ultimate Marvel Universe (Earth 10xx-something). All of reality was then reshaped by Dr. Doom, who became its God.

A handful of characters from those two last universes managed to hide away in an escape pod and crash in Dr. Doom's reshaped reality. One of them was Miles Morales. When reality was 'corrected', Miles was one of a handful of non-Earth 616 characters to survive the process and find themselves in the newly restored Official Marvel Universe. Old Man Logan (a grey-haired Wolverine) is another such character.
Is it just me or comic book stories always sound like utter trash?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Is it just me or comic book stories always sound like utter trash?
It's you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom