Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Spiderweb Software's Geneforge remake is on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Geneforge 1 - Mutagen; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

When Jeff Vogel began teasing his next game on Twitter a few weeks ago, nobody had any doubt that it was going to be a remake of Geneforge. What was a bit surprising is that he announced it was going to be on Kickstarter again, just like Queen's Wish. I guess that Jeff has finally discovered this Cool New Trick for making more money and that crowdfunding is going to be standard operating procedure for Spiderweb from now on. Anyway the remake is up on Kickstarter now and it's called Geneforge 1 - Mutagen. Here's its pitch video and description:

Our tiny little company worked on the five parts of the Geneforge Saga from 1999 to 2008. They were truly unique games, with a strange and fascinating world, complex characters, tough moral choices, and a blend of fantasy and science fiction unlike anything that had come before.

The games were big successes for us, and they have a passionate following that continues to this day.

They are also old. Really, really old.

The first Geneforge game is old enough to vote now. It is really showing its age. It doesn't run on a lot of computers and the interface and graphics are hopelessly crude. We have been wanting to give it a loving, ground-up remaster for years now.

And, with your help, that time has come!

The Remaster

When we remaster our games, we put serious effort into it. We want to bring the Geneforge games into the modern world, with a better interface, graphics, and design.

The remaster will not only be for Windows and Macintosh, but we will be bringing Geneforge, for the first time, to the iPad!

We plan to respect what our fans loved about the series. The world, the characters, the story, the game system, they will be mostly the same. We plan to expand the world, adding new characters, storylines, abilities, games systems, and other ways to go crazy with your mutant monsters.

This Kickstarter will help us to hire professionals to help with art, interface design, and adding all the other things the original game is lacking. We will take the time to rework every location, encounter, and line of dialogue.

It's a huge job. Remastering the five games of the Geneforge Saga will take years. Yet, this is one of our most beloved series, there has been a big demand about it, and we're excited to start the journey with Geneforge 1 - Mutagen! And we would love for you to come with us!​

Jeff is looking to raise $30,000 dollars for Geneforge 1 - Mutagen and he's already most of the way there. You can get a copy for $20, with beta access available for superfans willing to pay $200. Since this is a remake, it's worth noting that the stretch goals are promising new content - a new creation at $50,000 and an entirely new region at $75,000. We'll see if the campaign manages to reach them. The game is scheduled for release next year in February 2021.

• incline x 5
    • decline x 4
    • meh x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    This game doesn't need a remake. Good luck anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Low effort pitch, as expected. Practically gives no good reason for this remaster other than graphics. At least he seems to have abandoned the crappy perspective from his last game.

Interesting that he plans to remake all five. Should keep him busy the next decade or so.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Interested to see new region because it will past that goal .

^ Top  
  5. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    What graphics?

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    The highest tier is already sold out and the second highest tier has only 1 sport left. Cult classic indeed.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zanzoken Arcane

Zanzoken
    After what they pulled with Queen's Wish I wouldn't even expect better graphics. Vogel has openly admitted that he is satisfied with how his games look and has no interest in spending money / time / effort to improve their production values.

^ Top  
  8. Twiglard Savant

Twiglard
    After the Avadon series I have no hope in Spiderweb. The game will invariably have simplified mechanics and endless heaps of trash combat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    I didn't like the Avadon series, but it follows different principles from Avernum, Geneforge, Nethergate, etc. It's more linear, more story-focused and revolves around instanced "missions".

Anyway, if this is a remake like Escape from the Pit, they won't change or 'simplify' anything mechanically. That's fake news.

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Cipher

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    It would have been probably better if he didn't actually show that glimpse of "completely redone graphics".
    That way he could have fooled someone into hoping for something decent.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Cipher

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Yeah, he did, several time. Which is extremely short sighted, given than a better visual appeal is precisely what could turn his "cult classics with thousands of passionate followers" in titles with TENS OR HUNDRED OF THOUSANDS of buyers. Even more, with a bit of luck.

And his explanation for it was "Because even when i improved graphics people still said it was ugly", which is also extremely stupid, since he clearly didn't put that much effort in it and they were absolutely right.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. mondblut Arcane

mondblut

Dumbing down bingo.

^ Top  
  13. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Anyone who gives money to Jeff Vogel is a moron.

And should ask me for some top tier investment tips.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I hear bridges are a good investment. Any suggestions?

^ Top  
  15. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Bridges are a solid investment and unlike the stock market, they don't experience crashes!

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Someone remind me, why was the new IP game such a fuckup he's gone back to remakes again?

^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It wasn't. He likes alternating between new games and remakes. Before this it was Avadon and Avernum.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Nothing to do with that.

Jeff is lazy as fuck. He likes doing remakes because they take very little effort, hence why he's always alternated between new games/IPs and remakes.

^ Top  
  19. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Just not interested in his games anymore. Queen's Wish was not a good game especially when I look back to my time playing Exile all those years ago. Sad really... :negative:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Dunno if I would write him off for Queen's Wish, the first foray into Avadon was a real downer but the second installment was much improved and the third nearly as good as that one. Granted I haven't played QW it could be real bad for all I know.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    It must be comforting to know you have FOUR Kickstarter pitches left after this one. Remaking only the first game would suck if it all ended there.

^ Top  
  22. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    :lol: I don't think I've ever seen such a barren kickstarter. John must have found the perfect formula on how to obtain a sufficient amount of money --enough for eating, drinking and buying my little pony paraphernalia-- for the minimum possible effort.

^ Top  
  23. Diablo1_reborn Scholar

Diablo1_reborn
    Original unironically looks better than the new version.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ChaDargo Educated

ChaDargo
    I stopped watching when he called himself a living legend.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    It's his shtick.

• decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)