Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Spiderweb Software's Geneforge remake is on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This blog post from 2009 is the earliest place I can find Vogel being referred to as a living legend: http://retroenter.blogspot.com/2009/09/spiderweb.html

I'm not sure if he himself said it before this Humble Bundle giveaway video from 2013:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. PatataFamilia Novice

PatataFamilia
    I like Jeff Vogel games (except Avadon), but Geneforge doesn't need a remake. Avernum 4 needs a remake; it's catastrophically close on a modern monitor. The first time I played it was when I was unemployed in the Great Recession, and it played great. (He said piracy was okay if your life sucked, mine did, I bought the set later for $70.) The new region sounds somewhat interesting, and leveling up creations sounds good enough, but it doesn't sound $20 interesting. He's still resisting paying a sound designer too.

Also Queen's Wish was fine; it was an decent effort from him which made it better than half the RPGs of that year. I may back it, just because his games brought me much needed enjoyment in a pretty dark time, but this pitch is... lacking.

^ Top  
  3. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Pretty sweet gig to get your yearly salary in advance.

^ Top  
  4. ChaDargo Learned

ChaDargo
    You know, I own the Geneforge Series and Avernum on Steam and had recently re-installed them to give them another shot. His little video made me change my mind. This dude is his own worst enemy, and from what I've read on these forums, he continuously proves my statement to be true.

One must wonder what he could have been capable of if he had teamed up with a taskmaster asshole who kept his little gay ego in check.

Edit: I know my not playing his games I got for $1 doesn't hurt him or anything. I just cringe at the idea of playing something by this guy lol

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Obligatory reminder that even though Vogel and Spiderweb Software are no longer competitive in today's PC RPG development ecosystem, he was holding the line almost on his own in the RPG Dark Ages when Fallout 3 and the Bioware console RPGs were the genre's sole mainstream offerings.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, I'll always have respect for Vogel, but at the same time it's hard not to despair at his general laziness thesedays.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Verylittlefishes Liturgist Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Well, that sounded self-ironical.
    Unlike Grimoire which I suppose is the true Cathedral Of Autism.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    ...Linux?

FUCK OFF!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Verylittlefishes Liturgist Patron

Verylittlefishes
    The original is 70% off on Steam in case someone is interested.

^ Top  
  10. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    He's resisting putting any kind of production values into his games.

I don't get the point of a remake if it doesn't actually improve upon anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    It's hard to be a living legend.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    He's a living legend of getting paid for doing nothing.

[​IMG]

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)