Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squad-Level Tactical Games

Disconnected

Scholar
callehe said:
I'm a complete noob when it comes to this type of games so could someone recommend me a fun turn based tactics game with multiplayer?
Lazer Squad: Nemesis. 'Tis pure fucking win!!

Severian Silk

callehe said:
I'm a complete noob when it comes to this type of games so could someone recommend me a fun turn based tactics game with multiplayer?

Jagged Alliance 2 now has a multiplayer mod. I've just discovered this, but it appears to be pretty stable if I read the thread correctly. Also, there is UFO 2000, a multiplayer remake of X-COM. Again, I haven't tried it myself. I'm not sure if UFO: Alien Invasion has a multiplayer facet. It's been a while since I checked up on its development.

As for LSN, I didn't personally like the "we-go" system they use.

analt

Scholar
roshan said:

Odium = Gorky 17

Others that are missing:

First JA clone -- Wages of War: The Business of Battle [ugly prelude to Soldiers at War]

JA predecessors (RTWP) -- Tegel's Mercenaries, Strike Squad

Breach I&II (TB) III (RTWP)
Paladin I&II (TB) [fantasy version of Breach]

Enemy something-tion (RT) [puzzlish Aliens knockoff]

SWAT 2 (forget details on this)
Deadline (RT) [hostage rescue game, looks like Sabre Team]

101st Airborne [seems pretty sucky]

(And if you want to get technical, these would be "unit-level" or somesuch, with Dawn of War/Company of Heroes/Battle for Middle Earth being "squad-level" games)

Severian Silk

Found another one: Urban Legend. I haven't looked at it closely, but a brief glance at the webpage caused a couple terms to jump out at me: "Russian", "X-COM" and "pseudo-real-time".
analt said:
Enemy something-tion (RT) [puzzlish Aliens knockoff]
is it this?
analt said:
101st Airborne [seems pretty sucky]
Is this the one you mean?
analt said:
(And if you want to get technical, these would be "unit-level" or somesuch, with Dawn of War/Company of Heroes/Battle for Middle Earth being "squad-level" games)
I've heard people say that too. I'd rather restrict this list to X-COM-alikes.
Assnuggets said:
Found this one while digging around for links: Jagged Farm: Birth of a Hero.
Upon closer examination this game seems more like an RTS, despite the silly "Jagged" homage found in the title.

[edit]
I've updated the first post so that it's current.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I played Birthright 11 or 12 years ago and I wouldn't call it squad-level. You mean just the battle component, right?

Severian Silk

It was compared to Red Crystal in the HotU article. I assumed the comparison was in reference to the battle portions of the game, though on second examination it seems this might not be the case.

laclongquan

Arcane
No WARZONE 2100? what kind of list is that

Warzone 2100 a real-time strategy and real-time tactics hybrid game. You can pause and issue command in pause, so fan of tactic game need not worry.

It's open source, so you can download for free. It got very fanatical gamers and they have developed mods, and fix bugs, and etc... to perfection.

The campaign is a long connected multiple stages. You command an empire/whateverthehellyoucallit and you reexplore the post-apocalyptic Earth, reclaim the scarce oil fields to power your factories and your tanks. Defeat all stand on your path, research the lost sciences, and building the mighties army the world ever seen from the War. Your tanks, cyborgs that you create from beginning will be with you till the bitter end (if they survive that far, that is), collecting exp along the way.

The multiplayers or skirmish part sometimes reminicient of the way powergamers played AOE or Starcraft. But there's no easy or straight forward path to victory. Every strategy and tactic you use got its counter and can be countered in time if your opponents scout out and infer your intentions, so dont think your game will go boring.

straight forward tank assaults, indirect attillery and mortar fire, skirmishing and flanking attacks by cyborgs, bombing runs, air-superiority dogfights... the elements of tactics are mindboggling. Every battle is a desperate thrust and counter thrust by tacticians.

http://wz2100.net/ is the mod group.
http://warzone2100.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/ is the remaining site.

It's really a pity so few people remember it. It's an unsurpassed gem of RTS (vP). Ah ancient beauty! How I wish some games today can replicate your graceful features.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
i played that a long time ago. But it's more of an RTS than a squad based tactical game

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
laclongquan said:
A bit of that in a big pie of RTS. It has a few element of tactic game in there.

In fact, if all those RTS game can be as enjoyable and deep as Warzone 2100 I would be a RTS player totally.
Hmm... I intrested and will try it out, thanks.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Great post! Just two things...

Quest for Glory 3, under TB... The game isn't really tactical or turn-based, which is a bit misleading. It's emphasis is more on Sierra adventure gaming with a small stat-based RPG thingie going on.

Also, Warhammer: Dark Omen should be on the list under real-time games. Awesome game, in my opinion.

Severian Silk

Thanks! I added Warhammer: Dark Omen and removed QfG3.

Manu

Novice
I loved JA2 and fallout tacticts

but browsing the list and looking at games like that one 'urban' whatever

wtf?

are there any DECENT ja2 fallout clones?

Severian Silk

Manu said:
I loved JA2 and fallout tacticts

but browsing the list and looking at games like that one 'urban' whatever

wtf?

are there any DECENT ja2 fallout clones?

Geneforge and Silent Storm are OK. The rest aren't that great, AFAIK.

However, there are around a half dozen good mods for JA2 that you might want to try.

mondblut said:
Assnuggets said:
I added a link to Fishguts, a tactical roguelike in development.

Whoa... it looks like Nahlakh 2. The guy seems to have all the right influences.

What's "roguelike" about it, though?

Not sure. The developer responded to a thread I started in rec.games.roguelike.development .

flushfire

Augur
a couple months ago in my itch to play a post-apoc RPG i hunted down the fall just to find out it had horrible combat. afterwards i found out that it was developed by the same guys that made soldiers of anarchy. remembering that i bought that game years ago, i wondered why i never played it so i dug up the cd. soldiers of anarchy is worse than the fall. at least in the fall i could initiate the horrible combat. in soa even getting units anywhere is a big problem. order a unit to go somewhere in a flat, open field and it goes in random directions if it even moves at all. or sometimes the unit will stop responding, then a minute later it goes off, again in random directions. pathfinding in the game isn't just atrocious, it does not exist at all.
Assnuggets said:
Geneforge and Silent Storm are OK. The rest aren't that great, AFAIK.
hammer & sickle is good too, imo.

Severian Silk

flushfire said:
hammer & sickle is good too, imo.

I bought the box at some point. Why the retailer didn't see fit to include the CD, I don't know. :shrug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom