Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SS Codex goes to space. Prospector ironman LP.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes. Tell them that you came in peace. That will make them all group in one place when they come forward to meet you. Then use the ship thrusters to BURN THE XENO!

If ship thrusters are unavailable as a weapon, a machete squad with combat knives will have to do.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
yrqwuxpfzl.jpg
:hero:
HurdleFail.gif

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Here goes nothing.

wfiyanngxe.jpg

Azira lands on a landing pad like a pro. Even lightbane could land the ship on a pad, though.

No living beings in sight. We are going to investigate some of those buildings, men. Stay sharp.

tofmbojtzm.jpg

What are you ROLLING there, Lizzurd? Now you have to make roll checks every turn to stay at least half-sane or what?

vhqoqvbbtk.jpg

I see. Opening doors must be a challenge for you indeed. Keep rolling then.

Oh hey, gems!

sefgxdbzqz.jpg

Buried in rubble, though. Can't get them without explosives.

hnxldmkduq.jpg

Where. Is. Everybody? And what's that sound below?

bhapfbagkp.jpg

WOOHOO, I don't like it here anymore!

xzrobpbwaf.jpg

That's some FUCKED UP climate change happening on this planet right now! Anybody wants to stay? Any objections against GETTING THE HELL OUTTA HERE RITE NOW?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
That planet was weird. The city we saw was abandoned, probably remains of an ancient alien civilization. Too bad we didn't find anything valuable there, but the lava fountains breaking through the ground and ice were highy disturbing.

Take us to the orange planet, Azira.

gzqxpuoihl.jpg

Now that looks like a good place to explore. The Awayteam stays the same. Go forth!

Lizzurd, see if you can find anything valuable in local flora.

sgkyzblgyb.jpg

Yellow gneto-thingies, should fetch a nice price. If Spigot doesn't smoke them before we dock at the station.

Slow, uneventful mapping and plant gathering. I wish all planets were like that.

roedkezpjy.jpg

More time passes. The ground starts rumbling.

jkliwwqkle.jpg

Captain's order - we ignore it and keep mapping.

Even more time passes. The ground keeps rumbling, and it also starts snowing.

phhrydfajv.jpg

Our ship might get burried under all that mass of snow. YET ANOTHER Captain's decision - I'm calling Azira and telling him to relocate, and pick us up right here:

xsbtplmpwv.jpg

By the time Azira lands at this spot, we should get there by foot as well. Mapping more surface as we go.

Think you can handle dat order, Azira?

flxaqrjyek.jpg

Good!

qseifduhgv.jpg

NOT GOOD! Go easy on my ship, DAMN YOU! :argh:

Anyway, the snowstorm didn't get to these parts yet, and the ground isn't so shaky. Might as well map the final chunk of this planet and get a bonus.

Aaand done!

jmfcjuwnzl.jpg

uwskbpafjn.jpg

Take us back INTO SPACE, Azira!

rfjhlgrlzp.jpg

Fun. We should give a nice name to this star system. Any suggestions?

Before we land on the next planet, a few changes to the awayteam. sqeecoo and Ashery will stay on the ship - they are fat, and need to rest after all that walking. Dayyālu and tindrli will replace them. Grimgravy will also join us, coz I remembered that we have another damaged suit lying around. Lizzurd will be replaced by Cassidy, because the Captain needs a break from reptile's constant presence.

Gear up and get ready.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Let's name it the Fun Place.

Fun Place it is!

All men geared up and ready, except for Dayyālu. We have a situation here. This soldier has no problem joining the next expedition, but refuses to equip a spacesuit. Instead he prefers to rely on

pqhagunhsb.jpg

The thing we traded with that armless humanoid. Dayyalu clunches it to his chest and murmurs something incomprehensive.

We'll have to leave Dayyalu on board this time. Not to mock his religious beliefs, but I doubt this idol will help him survive out there. Joined on the 4th of July, you talk some senses into the man when we get back.

OK, LAND DIS SHIT DOWN, AZIRA!

nvqwqarbng.jpg

Seriously? You thought it was the best spot for landing? *sigh* My entire crew is a mess.

Ok, LET'S TRY AGAIN!

ialmpvpxcj.jpg

... Not even mad.

nkshymhdie.jpg

Thank you for not killing us all.

What do we got here? Two rhodium deposits, one in a huge block of ice, the other one under rubble. Both are unreachable. Let's look for treasures elsewhere.

As we travel around the planet, we see random valuable stuff in unreachable places. Gems in ice; transuranic metals on high mountains, etc. The day promises to be depressing.

But then

hsozbmgnbq.jpg

The day has come, men. Either we run away, and let THIS UNHOLY THING

jzsvnwgzuq.jpg

take over the Universe and kidnap your wife for raping activities. OR WE MAKE OUR LAST STAND HERE AND NOW! FOR THE GLORY OF SS CODEX!

ARE YOU WITH ME, BOTTLE BROTHERS?!

The current awayteam

tgsjppsuer.jpg

Don't bring knifes to a gun lizard fight.

Oh, but we did.

Can we even scratch its scaly skin? I say we try it and retreat only if it seems pointless.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Tried to contact the ship and give an order to fly closer. So that we can escape easie won't have to drag lizard's corpse all the way back. And also because I wanted Lizzurd to see how his brethren falls. :smug:

No signal. Then I ordered to fall back a little, maybe get closer to the ship. Still no signal, but the reptile thing chased us. Apparently, it is faster. The BATTLE commences!

ymrmtwxord.jpg

We can't land a damn hit, men! Maybe it's because we're trying to FIRE using combat knives, but according to LAWS OF SPACE, I can't order you to beat the shit out of this monster, only to fire.

These icons:

rofxqhndxc.jpg

Represent our general condition. Green - good; yellow - not good; red - oh boy; X - ded.

C - Captain;
G - Gunner
@ - Security;
L - Squad Leader;
N - Sniper;
M - Paramedic.

Most of security guards are wounded, Iyul Chetverti took a painful one too. We attempted to attack the lizard four times and failed.

SUGGESTIONS, men! Run? Fight? Communicate? Open helmets?

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I'm not a character in this story yet but I'll Larp as one of the voices in the Captain's head...

Cover your retreat by leaving the tastiest* bravest men behind and contact ship asap.

*dat thing is an herbivore :(

Edit: Alternatively, have Lizzurd perform a mating call, maybe it's a female...

hostergaard

Educated
T
We can't land a damn hit, men! Maybe it's because we're trying to FIRE using combat knives, but according to LAWS OF SPACE, I can't order you to beat the shit out of this monster, only to fire.

Damn, everyone on this trainwreck of a ship is utterly incompetent and retarded beyond meassure...

I want in!

I don't care what job I get, I just want to explore, find glory, earn a nice chest of booty and get some booty, if ya know what I mean..

Morkar Left

I'd say get the fuck out of here! What's in your inventory? some grenades, anaesthetics?

EDIT: Deactivate Autoinspect if you haven't already or you are wasting movement points (Shift+I).

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'd say get the fuck out of here! What's in your inventory? some grenades, anaesthetics?

EDIT: Deactivate Autoinspect if you haven't already or you are wasting movement points (Shift+I).

Not much.

frzlptoxpx.jpg

Yeah, I know about autoinspect, it's not activated.

Back to the battle situation. CAPTAIN'S CALL - nobody goes anywhere before we leave at least one damn scar on that foul lizard thing! Stand your ground! Work those kitchen knives!

ysuvicvcug.jpg

See, it's getting weared out! Press this advantage, give it no quarter!

jxadcsuxli.jpg

:shredder:

rfcvpmuacg.jpg

That's it, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

... Oh.

bidrkmfpka.jpg

Apparently, it doesn't even care about us. Cancel last order, no need to run. We casually walk, with UNDEFEATED impression on our faces. It's not like the reptile won, but rather we've lost interest. Yes.

So we drag the corpses back to the ship. Beowulf has to be carried by three people, and he's still heavy.

The space lizard doesn't follow.

zvypyadntl.jpg

The crew on board greets us in silence. Some people are sad, others are chuckling. Cpt. Grimwulf commands to launch immidiately.

ypuvimkwun.jpg

Safety of open SPACE, finally.

Brave and utterly worthless men of SS Codex. Before we throw these seemingly dead bodies through the airlock, let us say a few words about the fallen.

Nevill was a positive and bloodthirsty man. He wanted to become a space viking and fight space monsters. In some way, his wish was fulfilled. One might say he had it coming.

Beowulf was a special snowflake. We had some connection, you know? (no homo) I will miss the fatso. May the vacuum of space be gentle to your dead fat body.

TODAY WE DRINK! TO OUR FALLEN, Nevill and Beowulf! :salute:

And also decide where do we head next.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Is that a starbase to the northeast? Maybe there's a bar there.

Nope, it's Spacestation 3, the one that we visited recently. The place where Dayyālu's girlfriend lives, you know.

Eaten by a herbivore.. Yeah, maybe we should go to the next nearest star system now?

The flight to the next nearest star was fairly short, but alcohol-heavy. The ship was suffering hiccups as well.

mqrszlunez.jpg

By the time SS Codex reached it's destination, an ARGUMENT between Cpt. Grimwulf and pilot Azira (both drunk) went out of control. Azira insisted he's the best pilot around. Captain strongly disagreed.

Let the CHALLENGE solve the dispute. If Azira wins, the Captain's gonna raise wages up to 9 Creds. If not, the wages will be lowered to 5 Creds again. The challenge is this:

fwjfgedtqy.jpg

8 planets in this system, none of them are scanned. Azira, you pick any of these and try to land without scanning. No target-landing, no orders from the Cap - you just pick a spot and land the ship. If you succeed at first try, you win. If not, you lose.

While you think on the number, I'll think on the Awayteam.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The Awayteam is ready.

zcrrmrlsxj.jpg

Spigot will come with us in case medical attention will be required after the landing. Which is very probable, I must say. Full security staff follows. Oh, look - I almost forgot to issue a spacesuit for lightbane, hue hue. Good thing I've noticed it now.

I believe that tindrli and Grimgravy can handle the dangers even bare-handed, with no additional armour. Due to experience. And SPACE HOBBIT sqeecoo doesn't need a real weapon to hit enemies toes. A simple knife will do.

Strangely enough, the morale is falling. AREN'T YOU ENTERTAINED, PEOPLE? Well then, you are about to get an overdose of entertainment right now.

Lucky #7. Game on, cap'n. :salute:

Give it your best shot, pilot. I'm 100% positive we're gonna crash. :smug:

dmgvtskoeo.jpg

GODDAMIT!!

:negative:

Is that a starbase to the northeast? Maybe there's a bar there.

Nope, it's Spacestation 3, the one that we visited recently. The place where Dayyālu's girlfriend lives, you know.

Oh, I thought that was the starbase near No LF My Ass. I guess Iyul never was too familiar with space navigation.

...but there was a bar there, right?

---

Roll d20+1 and if you get at least 3, you'll get XP! Pilot easymode leveling. :rpgcodex:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Little did they know that Nevill had his clones stored up at every Spacestation. The Space Viking geneseed was too valuable in this decadent day and age to risk it.

When If the SS Codex arrives to a spacestation, I will be waiting. :salute:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Not sure what this means:

hraddwwljs.jpg

Infinite C? We'd probably be dead by now then. We've only spent a few moments on this planet, but lava gets out of control already. So. Captain's call - let's actually get back into space and use our scanners.

ssfujjbals.jpg

What is wrong with the temperature? It's only 8th orbit from the star, shouldn't be THAT hot. Maybe it's the sensor's malfunction.

Ok, I suggest we leave this place alone for now. We still have 7 more planets to explore.

zxtuhsotef.jpg

Lizzurd, switch to FULL SCANNER mode. Or whatever it's called on your battletech language.

Here we go!

zeeucipwda.jpg

Earthlike atmosphere, might be breathable. But I wouldn't recommend trying, considering the 280 C temperature. I believe it's the only planet with earthlike atmosphere we've found so far, so might be worth checking out.

hacnvivcop.jpg

Gazers galore.

These things
gfktirdgbn.jpg
are gazers. Gotta be wary of steam out there.

qhhxhrmayw.jpg

So lush, much beauty. The temperature is perfect. I bet my lightbane there are lifeforms down there. But the resources! The treasures! Might be another jackpot planet, men.

zrixzemyep.jpg

It's hot, but not in the extreme. Rare vegetation and monocrystals spotted. Worth checking out, I say.

ysaqreztba.jpg

That's just brutal - a planet that's completely covered in ice. Basically a giant frozen ocean, with unkown terrors lurking in the deep.

agkgklwibx.jpg

Yet another planet of ice and water, some parts are even unfrozen. Anybody's up for SPACE SURFING?

iprbipnjls.jpg

Scanners didn't really help much in this case. Well, it's cold. There is ice. The atmosphere is corrosive. Not much else can be seen.

Pick your poison, people. The Awayteam stays the same for now.

Oh, I thought that was the starbase near No LF My Ass.

This one is SS 1, we've been there too, some time ago. The glorious SS Codex traverses space and time lightning-fast!

Roll d20+1 and if you get at least 3, you'll get XP! Pilot easymode leveling. :rpgcodex:

Azira lucked out and landed on a plain terrain. Landing lear mountains is more difficult.

Skill has nothing to do with it. Due to his blurry vision, choosing the right planet to land is a struggle in its own right.

wfallecngc.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom