Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Silva, Dec 26, 2012.

1. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Dead Air open beta and english translation is out.
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/dead-air/downloads/dead-air-english-translation
    This gonna be even more autistic. For starter - your default carry weight limit is 5kg, and you need backpack to carry more trash.
    More melee weapons but not sure if melee works, I mean - close combat sux badly in Stalkers, that's no secret.

edit
    more info - it's seems to be bit easier with starting options and perks. You can take one and enemies will drop guns in better condition with more ammo, another for better rewards and better loot in stashes or bodies.
    And some groups of bandits are neutral.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. janior Arcane

janior
    is there some raw mouse input mod for this?

^ Top  
  3. Gaius maximus Arbiter

Gaius maximus
    does dead air include the misery type of economy?

^ Top  
  4. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    yes
    it's just another mod based on Misery (Call of Misery to be precise)

^ Top  
  5. Lazing Dirk Arcane

Lazing Dirk
    I think it's time to play one of the Stalker games again. I've never found any other games that have quite the same sort of tense gunplay to them, especially when you set off the alarm in that army base, or trying to clear out a large bandit camp. Whether it's sneaking around carefully taking out people with headshots, or blasting people in the face with a shotgun (probably a toz 34 <3), I've yet to find another game that's so satisfying. At least, once you find a good mod for it (or mod it yourself). The vision and accuracy on enemies is usually the biggest issue, along with bullet sponges. You can be laying down in a bush in the middle of the night, and some random bandit 500m away spots you and starts accurately mowing you down with fire from his sub-machine gun fired from the hip whilst running sideways, meanwhile you're lucky to land a single hit, and then a grenade lands in your mouth. Absolute nonsense.

I seem to recall having some fun with OGSE last time, so I'll give this a go. I hope this isn't the one with the godawful quest chains in that FUCKHUEG Darkscape area. If you don't happen to have a vehicle (if that's even an option), you know it's going to be about 10 minutes of non-stop sprinting.

Edit: Had a look at the patch notes when installing.

"Fixed reset dog Dick logic when loading savegames"

Haha what. Closer inspection reveals a character called Dick who has a dog that had wonky code. Maybe it's that guy in the old boat.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I want a friend of mine to try Shadow of Chernobyl but he is kind of a graphics whore so I would like to either install Autum Aurora 2 or the standalone Stalker Evolution
    What would be the best option for him to get started?

Edit: Went with AA and it looks very beautiful and runs incredibly well.
    We decided to get started and on a whim I attacked some of the soldiers near the watchtower next to Cordon... and holy shit I thought I had made out like a fox with a pretty sweet AK and a decent gun but as I got back after the first errand the whole village was beign attacked by the army! Most of the Stalkers lay dead while I circled around picking them up one by one until I ran into a group that had just killed Wolf, got a few shots in and hid behind a tree thinking they were going to cheeky breeky my ass but I got lucky when I killed one who was about to throw a granade and he ended up blowing his teammates too
    Ended up with Vampire’s gun, a few high caliber rifles, health kits, bandages the works and sold most of the extr guns for a nice chunk of change

That is why I love this series above all others; any other game would have made Wolf unkillable or that would have fucked up my game, I ended up killing 12 soldiers and left Cordon a ghost town for my actions but still the game continued as if nothing had happened

Just another day in the Zone

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Holy shit... is Autum Aurora a bit too deadly?
    Most of all the Stalkers or groups I meet are killed in seconds after combat begins for example the 3 rangers guarding the warehouse to Agropon; rarely do all of them make it when the attack from the bandits come and once I got lucky and saved all 3, only to have them march straight towards the gateway on the opposite side of the warehouse and get absolutely slaughtered by the bandits there
    I mean I know the Zone is harsh and all but I am running out of NPCs here
    Every area that I leave is like a death field with simple shootout turning into total wipeouts

^ Top  
  8. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    It's because Shadow of Chernobyl has less lethal combat than Clear Sky or Call of Pripyat, so the game did not need as many npcs or as frequent respawns because fights between a just a few npcs could be drawn out and everyone had a higher chance of survival. But then autistic modders implements super lethal combat but don't do anything else to account for that new lethality, so you end up with the entire zone becoming a mortuary in a few hours.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sodafish Arcane

Sodafish
    If you think AA is bad, don't try Misery.

^ Top  
  10. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    I have played Misery 1.2 every six months since they released it and no I dont mind the “2 shots and you are dead” gameplay on me... but I do feel bad that all NPC Stalkers are decimated in seconds in actual battles; places like Cordon seem like ghost maps, even the military squad guarding the bridge got wasted by marauding bands of bandits

In Misery I would see a good respawn rate of Stalkers so there would be a bunch around the campfires or on patrol... in AA I might hear a shootout and arrive to finish of 2 half dead bandits while the battlefield is covered in bodies

I don’t remember it beign so intense before

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Yeah I don’t remember this beign so bad, I mean I played this before but since I was so scared about the savegame corruption I didn’t do any side missions or backtrack a lot but holy shit is the gameplay lethal
    I almost want to dig into the files to lower the amount of damage the weapons or raise the health of npcs so they might live a little longer because the mutants’ health and damage seem fine

^ Top  
  12. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    On my search for making Shadow of Chernobyl look a bit prettier I also found the Stalker Starter Pack which seems very nice too with some nice retextures, updated shaders, atmosphere and even ZRP to booth
    Other than a few changes like repairs from vendors it is pretty much Vanilla with a facelift and while I am very happy with AA2 I think I might check that out later

^ Top  
  13. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Holy shit that looks fantastic MM

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Edija Savant Patron

Edija
    Maybe the most accessible mod nowadays is Anomaly. Takes the base Last Day set, improves it with a 64bit engine and removes much of the bs Last Day had (remember those Controllers?). Anyway, it may even be a bit too easy. I started out hating Dead Air as another tryhard mod in the vein of Misery but it grew on me, especially since the community made a lot of addons to remove some of the annoying stuff. Undeniably Dead Air brings a lot of features I'd like to see in any Stalker mod, like the glowsticks, fast melee attack, some of the graphical improvements and above all, the crafting system. I think Dead Air has a thing going with all the changes it does to the usual Call of Chernobyl maps, brings in some fresh stuff to the maps you've seen a gorillion times. Last Stand is another really nice thing about DA, Last Stand + Ironman might be the most unfair and hard experience I ever had in a Stalker mod. It's pretty fun for streaming or Lps, just seeing how long you can live in the Zone as the only Stalker scavenging stuff. But DA has the ultimate fuck you feature, rigged stashes...

^ Top  
  16. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Anyone here who played Dead Air can say something about melee? We all know melee in Stalkers suck major ass, did they fixed it in Dead ass?

^ Top  
  17. Edija Savant Patron

Edija
    I mean it definitely gives you more options when it comes to melee. For example, you have a fast melee attack now (default F I think), which means if you're holding a rifle and press F your character will do a quick swing with his knife. Useful when tushkanos or dogs rush you. The axes, crowbars and other weapons are mainly meant for breaking stuff as I have found that knifes are now really bad at breaking boxes and similar stuff. You can do a lot of damage with a dedicated swing of the axe, basically holding something like a power attack button, but on the other hand it's not meant to be Fallout like where melee is a viable playstyle. This is only secondary stuff to help you out, it's still the old, rifles for stalkers, shotguns with buckshot for mutants meta.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Heard that ammo is hard to get and hammering zombies in Dead City is addictive.
    Must try that one but I tried all these Call of Chernobyl and Misery versions where my character made some tasks on the first map, travel 2-3 maps away and drop the game. It doesn't catch me for longer but still give fun nonethles.

^ Top  
  19. Edija Savant Patron

Edija
    If you're not into freeplay you won't be amazed. It's more of the same really with a slightly different flavor. All the newer mods are basically derivations of Call of Misery, the combination of Call of Chernobyl and Misery. The things that mostly differ are the artistic vision of the modder on how the mod is supposed to be played and what difficulty he is aspiring too. Otherwise it's mostly a question of taste. The problem with this vein of Stalker modding was always the absolute lack of any meaningful story or questlines. If you can't really roleplay your character without much input from the outside except the general atmosphere and factions then its bound to be boring. Some mods tried to change that, like MLR, a Russian mod that adds a few quest and other changes. An older version of MLR can be found in Last Day/Anomaly and it seems nice enough. You can play the newest version (8.3.?), there is a translation for Call of Chernobyl.

^ Top  
  20. janior Arcane

janior

• Funny Funny x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Would you look at that, a new version of Misery is out. No announcement or anything.
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery/downloads/misery-v221-full
    Include old patched and remove some stuff from gamedata folder.
    Wonder how many files, this mod is absolutely bloated with files, so much that stuttering is even worse.

Also - no The Armed Zone addon, those retards are too busy adding MORE guns that you have no opportunity to use, there is not enough targets to shoot at.
    Still not released, smh.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    They also tend to use really rare ammo types that are almost impossible to find/buy.

^ Top  
  24. janior Arcane

janior
    is Misery the ultimate autism simulator?

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Heard they were going to go for standalone... meh only masochist nerds play that shit

Btw guys don’t you think Stalker 2 has some HUGE shoes to fill?
    In the 10 years the game has gone from an apocalyptic shooter almost to immersive survival sandbox sim... if GSC think they can just add shinny Unreal 4 graphics a couple of maps and be done with it they are going to be very mistaken

Look at the mod scene, mods like Anomaly are nearly unrecognizable 64 bits version of their engine, and the huge popularity of Call of Chernobyl (where emergent gameplay is the focus of the game and you get to customize your character from the beginning rather than playing a set protagonist) shows that they could almost go for a straight up roleplay faction system where the goals of the campagin could be set depending on who you side with during your playthrough

And that is not even mentioning the popularity and mainstream success of the Metro Series and how their former devs have created a truly wonderful engine to run said games

We all know the “reveal” for Stalker 2 was some sort of stunt to try to get publishers to fund the project, hell I think a Kickstarter would have done pretty good given how much a couple of millions could stretch in their economy or hell even acting as publishers themselves and developing it with CD Proyect Red

Looking at stuff like the Sounds of the Zone Unreal build that some kid did almost on his own seems promising for the graphics and gameplay, but I think I have too much expectations for the sequel to be “just” Stalker with prettier graphics

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)