Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
What are the actual best modpacks for Call of Chernobyl? Any "None, they're all shit" answers will be discarded.

Duh, mine, obviously!

https://www.moddb.com/mods/curunirs-call-of-chernobyl-modpack

And this addon: https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/shell-casings-restored-for-coc-15-owr-3-v10

ive been playing this a bit recently. Its very good. Coc 1.5 is a huge improvement over 1.4.22 albeit in very subtle ways that probably arent immediately obvious to most players. I think your mod packed gets overlooked because it doesnt have the meme mods every fucker trying to turn STALKER into insurgency or COD wants.

I'm very glad you went with OWR3 and didnt install any of those retarded damage mods. Ive been fed up with stupid shit in the stalker modding scene lately where people think its both realistic and good for gameplay to be able to drop a guy in the best armor in the fucking game with one fmj pistol shot to his guts, of which it is neither of those things. None of that shit here, i was doing an ironman run and tried to fuck an exosuit bandit with my early game shotgun, he tanked a few hits, ran to cover while screaming and then came out and murdered me for my insolence, i was so happy.

deuxhero

Arcane
- increased MP5 recoil. It was so low before it was barely perceptible to the point where it feels odd to shoot.

It's a closed bolt delayed blowback SMG with a proper stock. The recoil should be pretty low, especially on the suppressed variant. That should be the main reason to use it over an actual rifle with better range and damage or an uncontrollable but smaller machine pistol.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
- increased MP5 recoil. It was so low before it was barely perceptible to the point where it feels odd to shoot.

It's a closed bolt delayed blowback SMG with a proper stock. The recoil should be pretty low, especially on the suppressed variant. That should be the main reason to use it over an actual rifle with better range and damage or an uncontrollable but smaller machine pistol.

you dont understand. before, it did not move. It made it felt like firing one of those kid toy guns going WHRRRRRRR. Ive shot an MP5 before, the recoil is very low yes, it is not imperceptibly low. Unless youve played OGSE 0693 just trust me when i say it was fucked looking along with quite a few other weapons. After my changes it was still the most controllable gun in the game it just actually felt like a gun instead of airsoft.

Curratum

because it doesnt have the meme mods every fucker trying to turn STALKER into insurgency or COD wants.

I'm very glad you went with OWR3 and didnt install any of those retarded damage mods. Ive been fed up with stupid shit in the stalker modding scene

Ah, glad to meet another man of culture! I'm banned from the two biggest and only alive STALKER discords because of shitting on said meme mods, but I knew there would be tasteful people SOMEWHERE online!

So what is the perfect mod for damage? I hate how some slav in a tracksuit can take a whole clip of assault rifle fire. Is there any mod that varies the damage on enemies?

Curratum

So what is the perfect mod for damage? I hate how some slav in a tracksuit can take a whole clip of assault rifle fire. Is there any mod that varies the damage on enemies?

Many people swear by this thing:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/warfighter

I think I may have stolen a few values from it but really, the entire damage system in the game is a fucking mess of spaghetti code and cross-dependencies across a large number of files and ingame settings so it's really hard to balance stuff out, which is why I like to keep it as close to vanilla as possible.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
man, weapon upgrades really ruin CoC gameplay - armor upgrades i can live with, but it's hard to resist getting mechs to trick-out weapons as well - and it invariably ruins the game so i quit and restart.

70+% recoil reduction on most automatic weapons, 70+% RoF increase on the MP5 (for ~1400 RPM wtf i dont even), nonsensical shit like the Nikonov needing an upgrade to attach a grenade launcher, or flatness upgrades where barrel thickening automatically increases muzzle velocity with the same ammo... bleh.

horrible creatures, i must in the future avoid them whenever i can

Curratum

Imagine actually ever finding advanced and expert tools in the game...! :hahyou:

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Curratum

some compliments to your modpack I feel:

i added wepl's hit effects script which is quite neat and helps give some feedback to what is going on in game. https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/wepls-hit-effects

secondly i went into effectors.ltx and made some changes to the zoom_inertion_effector. Since you removed actor artificial dispersion for weapons I felt it was necessary to compensate by having there be some ADS sway/shake (not that awful sway animation that only happens when sidestepping) and thus inducing some way other than just recoil for player skill to be involved, as well as making aiming feel a little more alive. These are the values I'm using, they're pretty subtle and not obnoxious:
camera_move_epsilon = 0.05
disp_min = 0.022
speed_min = 2
zoom_aim_disp_k = 0.1
zoom_aim_speed_k = 0.01
delta_time = 1400

I also tried to add TRX fresh start just for the extra ironman options, but it seemed to break some texts. Nothing gamestopping but still ugly so i removed it and installed ironman second wind instead. Doesnt have a pretty GUI but oh well its a very simple text edit to change options.

Curratum

Curratum

some compliments to your modpack I feel:

i added wepl's hit effects script which is quite neat and helps give some feedback to what is going on in game. https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/wepls-hit-effects

secondly i went into effectors.ltx and made some changes to the zoom_inertion_effector. Since you removed actor artificial dispersion for weapons I felt it was necessary to compensate by having there be some ADS sway/shake (not that awful sway animation that only happens when sidestepping) and thus inducing some way other than just recoil for player skill to be involved, as well as making aiming feel a little more alive. These are the values I'm using, they're pretty subtle and not obnoxious:
camera_move_epsilon = 0.05
disp_min = 0.022
speed_min = 2
zoom_aim_disp_k = 0.1
zoom_aim_speed_k = 0.01
delta_time = 1400

I also tried to add TRX fresh start just for the extra ironman options, but it seemed to break some texts. Nothing gamestopping but still ugly so i removed it and installed ironman second wind instead. Doesnt have a pretty GUI but oh well its a very simple text edit to change options.

For the weapon sway when sidestepping, I actually replaced the animation files with empty ones, it wasn't a ltx file tweak. Heaven knows where I found the blank files...

I will give your values a try later today, sounds reasonable.

I also tried adding TRX Fresh Start because I love the loadout selection and extra options and the interface, but as you said, a lot of quest texts break. I will look into Ironman Second Wind.

As for the hit fx, I tried it for a while and found the volume / mixing somehow off, didn't work for me.

Curratum

M-mm-mmm! Tried your effector tweaks, this is great! I'm keeping it in! Never tried messing with those since I had no idea how the values work.

I might also end up unpacking OWR and tweaking the aiming down sights FOV zoom of some guns to a slightly higher value. Do you feel some rifles still zoom in too little to be really useful without scopes?

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
M-mm-mmm! Tried your effector tweaks, this is great! I'm keeping it in! Never tried messing with those since I had no idea how the values work.

I might also end up unpacking OWR and tweaking the aiming down sights FOV zoom of some guns to a slightly higher value. Do you feel some rifles still zoom in too little to be really useful without scopes?

hey great!

I think some zoom for long guns would be a good. What i used to do for OWR on 1.4.22 was have pistols, smgs and the shorty shotguns have zero zoom and then very slight zoom for everything else. I'm not sure about configging for 1.5 - i know in 1.4.22 it was all controlled by zoom_factor in the respective weapon's config but I read 1.5 does things differently? Something the guy who converted ao3 was complaining about with a new fov function.

Curratum

hey great!

I think some zoom for long guns would be a good. What i used to do for OWR on 1.4.22 was have pistols, smgs and the shorty shotguns have zero zoom and then very slight zoom for everything else. I'm not sure about configging for 1.5 - i know in 1.4.22 it was all controlled by zoom_factor in the respective weapon's config but I read 1.5 does things differently? Something the guy who converted ao3 was complaining about with a new fov function.

Yeah, buggered if I remember how it works in the new OWR but I believe it was the exact opposite mathematical operation from what it used to be. I think it's expressed in a more understandable manner now, something like maybe um, 1 being your default non-ADS and 1.5 being 50% zoomed in.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

hey great!

Yeah, buggered if I remember how it works in the new OWR but I believe it was the exact opposite mathematical operation from what it used to be. I think it's expressed in a more understandable manner now, something like maybe um, 1 being your default non-ADS and 1.5 being 50% zoomed in.

it makes a lot more sense that way yeah, the old method was really counter intuitive.

i havent tested all of them but the ones that stand out to me in your mod are the M4 and the L85. The lack of zoom makes the M4's peephole really unusable for anything but close ranges and the L85's optic has no zoom, it should be 4x (i think it may have been 1.6x in COP?)

Curratum

i havent tested all of them but the ones that stand out to me in your mod are the M4 and the L85. The lack of zoom makes the M4's peephole really unusable for anything but close ranges and the L85's optic has no zoom, it should be 4x (i think it may have been 1.6x in COP?)

I was angry about the L85 as well but it's actually a mechanic upgrade. I think you only need basic tools or no tools and the first column of upgrades has the 4x zoom as an upgrade. Next tier you have the high-contrast scope.

You're right about the M4 though, the iron sight is pretty useless as it is, I never used the gun at all, because once you slap a NATO scope on it, it starts taking up half your screen. Curiously, I've been all over the place in my current game and still haven't found a single Warsaw Pact scope for my AK. Now that I think about it, I haven't found any scopes, which is why I'm max-upgrading the L85... :M

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Imagine actually ever finding advanced and expert tools in the game...! :hahyou:

play a colt-lovin' merc, duh

yip.jpg
yup.jpg

was planning on finally using that M4, however the handgun kills everything if you can aim - why bother?

also, first time visiting Dead City by day, finally read the building decorations: merc base = "Glory to labour", bandit base = "Glory to the Communist Party" :lol:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Already sunked dozens of hours into previous Anomaly release, time for something else.
Demosfen - more than modpack for Call of Chernobyl. Maps are reworked and there are some unique ones - Dead River, Collector, Replaced Bar 100 X-ray, Devil, X-1 and... lair of the Wendigo? :hmmm:

link to torrent
link to translation
translation is decent, for a work of one guy who spend few days on it
definitely better than anything made by TGKP (that guy who translated a dozens of STALKER mods but retired)

so far it's nice, lot of work and activities to do, just walking around enjoying reworked scenery
oh and now Cordon and Darkscape is merged into one map.
:M

Ivan

Arcane
Does the Anomaly Mod feature an extended Story more from SOC or is it entirely different? I notice that you can have different starting areas (e.g. Clear Sky). How does that work out? Will Clear Sky need to move to Cordon and proceed normally?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Does the Anomaly Mod feature an extended Story more from SOC or is it entirely different?
story in CoCh in general is "meet The Doctor in the Swamps, start looking for docs, search labs (hahahanothx) and then conquer the north part of the Zone".

Anomaly brings more
"Lost to the Zone" Storylines has been added to 1.5 update, with its three installations:
  • Part 1: Living Legend: a famous stalker has returned to the Zone. Pursue him in order to obtain his invaluable knowledge.
  • Part 2: Mortal Sin: a sinister faction emerges from obscurity to take over the Zone. You are among the few who can stop them.
  • Part 3: Operation Afterglow: the Zone attracts a lot of attention. However, some people believe that its many secrets are best kept hidden.
And the new bonus story:
  • Part 4: Hollow Boundaries: play as a member of a foreign force to investigate and reveal the secrets of the Zone.

I notice that you can have different starting areas (e.g. Clear Sky). How does that work out? Will Clear Sky need to move to Cordon and proceed normally?
beside starting location - not much difference
just remember to visit The Doctor on the Great Swamps

Curratum

Who on earth thought of merging cordon and darkscape? This just fucks with performance and loading times, truck cemetery was crashy enough. But I guess Anomaly is on the 64-bit engine now so that's not a problem, huh?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
They merged Cordon and Darkscape in Anomaly too?
Though it was Demosfen idea.
Last time I've heard they got plan to scrap both Darkscape and Hospital.

edit
big news - Road to the North gets The Armed Zone addon.

what's the RottN? It's another one of these project for Call of Chernobyl based on Misery 2 mod, but this one is more story focused, with option to play as a female :M and preparation to the journey with your team, all undercover in disguise as a Monolithians.

what's the TAZ? It's massive pack of new weapons for Misery 2.2, that meme mod for Call of Pripyat with stupid difficulty.
Thing is - it was all in vain, there is not much to shoot at in CoP.
But Call of Chernobyl? With both mutants and NPCs population settings? Now that's something.

we're talking about this big
TAZ_2.0_gunshow.jpg

Last edited:

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been playing 1.5.0 on my channel for a while and it's really something. Surely there are bugs and the most annoying being that mutants sometimes just change direction mid air (Snorks I'm looking at you), so it's hard to dodge them but all in all it's been great.

Talking about all the weapons in Stalker mods... In the end it's only a matter of taste, in all the mods I've played an AK with AP ammo is as deadly as you'll ever need against human opponents.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember playing some russian mod where you came across a cabin in the woods and there was a Tom Waits song playing on the radio (might have been Secret Trails). Loved that moment, and something you would never encounter in an AAA game. I'm waiting for Anomaly to get out of beta then I'll snatch it right up. So nice to see a 64-bit version of this old game. Yeah, bugs can be eee-mershion breaking to put it mildly, if they're not outright crashing your game. Though that sounds like a mod feature with the Snorks to make the game more challenging.

i want the most sandbox, endless stalker experience possible. excluding misery which is just retarded, which mod should i look for?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom