Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So, if you don't want to fall into the modders who don't know when to stop trap what CoD mods are good? Atmosfear? Something for the AI?

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
go with either recon dude or sniper. most engagements happen either at long or very close range. the assaulters carry weight is nice, but in the long run it won't matter since you'll get artefacts and suit upgrades that can enhance your carry weight.

my revolver/1911(mutants), mosin nagant(range), toz34(bandits) loadout never failed me til now, and i'm halfway through the game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Gimme a break DraQ, I hardly ever play AAA fps games and only played a little of the first stalker game. COD COP COS or whatever was the last right? That last stalker, what mods are great that aren't a total overhaul? Atmosfear looks neat but I wonder if there are others that only add stuff like better AI and are also good.

Those total overhaul mods always veer into retarded territory and I want to avoid just that.

Silva

Arcane
MISERY_character_select_111217.jpg

Which class is everyone playing MISERY with? I'm just about to install it, and I'm leaning towards sniper, but I have no idea if it's viable in the actual game (is there a lot of indoor areas and such for example), since I haven't played vanilla yet.

Recon here. The guy is so fast he can choose where and when to fight. Just finished CoP for the first time with it. And the greater effect of meds really help you in the beginning.

Misery is miserable in the short game because you are very vulnerable. Prepare to really plan ahead each situation or be punished by lots of reloads. By mid and end game though, it gets delicious. Nicely balanced and challenging. You get confident but never rambo godmode like confident. The game you remember you of that, in case you forget.

I just advice you to look on the mod FAQ page. It helps you to tweak things you dont like. For eg, I changed the default minimum sellable condition of weapons to 75% here, and also nerfed the zombies acuracy. These ratings are too brutal on the default, imho.

zeitgeist

Magister
I just advice you to look on the mod FAQ page. It helps you to tweak things you dont like. For eg, I changed the default minimum sellable condition of weapons to 75% here, and also nerfed the zombies acuracy. These ratings are too brutal on the default, imho.
The Patch 2 notes said that the min. condition of weapons was already changed to 75% so I didn't touch that one. Just installed the Sniper version, so I'll see how it goes. How much did you change the zombie values compared to the defaults? It's the "FIRE DISPERSIONS" in m_stalker_zombied.ltx, right? Did you do any changes to their movement speed too perhaps?

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, I doubled the dispersions and reduced the fov and vision range. Didnt mchange their speed, but thinking now I think its reasonable too.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
For the original Stalker the Stalker Complete peeps mention that they're working on Stalker Complete 2012. Absolutely no other news to be found on it though. Anyone know anything about progress?

potatojohn

Arcane
So, if you don't want to fall into the modders who don't know when to stop trap what CoD mods are good? Atmosfear? Something for the AI?
Atmosfear is good for looks. Redux is a nice difficulty mod (still slightly too easy I think).

Silva

Arcane
Misery just won the Mod of the Year 2012 award organized by Modb site.

Click for more info.

(DayZ stayed in 2nd place, Black Mesa won Peoples Choice).

Thanks. Decided on going to play the original first. Think Stalker Complete looks good but while the 2009 version is available they mention an (upcoming?) 2012 version. Unfortunately no other news on it can be found.

EDIT: Seems the 2012 update has gone the way of the dodo. 2009 it is then.

Im playing SoC with Complete mod 2009 right now and having a blast.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Wow, this Misery stuff looks great, has anyone tried it out already?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Ok, so I installed the mod, everything went fine. Cranked up the graphical settings from medium to high ingame, now "xrayengine.blabla" doesnt work anymore. :<

MetalCraze

Arcane
Is there a mod for CoP that just makes resources scarce without all the edgy Dark Souls retardation of Misery?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Isn't this mod (Misery) designed to be "realistic" ? Atleast I died more in the short while I could play the game than in any other game (including ARMA :M ) shouldn't this be right up your alley MetalCraze ? The graphics are gorgeous btw, the screenshots don't do the mod justice, it is not everything brown.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Misery is designed to break balance so you will reload 10 times every time you encounter combat and there's jack shit you can do. Unfortunately it also has what Stalker really needs - a scarce medkits/bandages/ammo etc. rebalancing.

Vanilla CoP is well done when it comes to combat difficulty. It's 50 medkits you carry that break it, not the lack of aimbots but unfortunately often there's no grey area with modders.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
so you will reload 10 times every time you encounter combat and there's jack shit you can do.

Forgive me if I am wrong (your statement is correct btw), but isn't this the same comabt in ARMA turns out? One mistake and you are dead... I guess this is what the designers of "Misery" wanted to have too.

GG Rex

Educated
I played SoC when it came it out without any mods or patches. It was a very good game, though it didn't live to its hype after so many years of development*... (it had almost a DN:F status for the Russian audiences.)

*I came in expecting a new Gothic with Tarkovsky vibe, got a decent open-world shooter.

Silva

Arcane
Ok, so I installed the mod, everything went fine. Cranked up the graphical settings from medium to high ingame, now "xrayengine.blabla" doesnt work anymore. :<
Did you do a clean install of CoP before applying Misery ? Its very important to do.

Forgive me if I am wrong (your statement is correct btw), but isn't this the same comabt in ARMA turns out? One mistake and you are dead... I guess this is what the designers of "Misery" wanted to have too.
Yeah, exactly.

Misery is designed to break balance so you will reload 10 times every time you encounter combat and there's jack shit you can do
I agree this may happen a lot in the early-game, since you begin very vulnerable. Specially if its the first time you play the mod.

But its possible to maximize survivability (and greatly reduce reloading) if you adjust your playstyle to use more cover, minimize exposition, try shooting in the head, plan ahead using the correct tool for each obstacle, dont get surprised, control your weight to be able to disengage if needed, etc. Im proving this right now - begun another playthrough and didnt die a single time.

Here, take a look in this combat sequence I had. Im Recon by the way so dont expect me to "go in guns blazing":

(watch in HD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPWv8XczoTw

potatojohn

Arcane
Well, I tired of talking out of my ass so I gave Misery a try. Here's what I noticed:

- performance seems better than original game
- harder than vanilla, easier than redux
- some stashes have been removed, others replaced
- new weapons are meh
- food and ammo are very expensive in the beginning
- stamina regen is high. My recon could sprint way too far with 20/40kg
- heart of oasis sucks now. +8 radiation and no hunger elimination
- weapons and armor upgrades are no longer branched. You can get every upgrade now
- pistols are pretty useful
- visually it's okay
- AI doesn't seem any better or worse

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, I feel your pain. Dont know what they were thinking when they opted for this.

At least they recognized it was a bad decision and are removing it from version 2.0.

For now its not really difficult to ignore it and just force branching yourself (I do this, by the way).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom