Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stalker - The Good, The Bad, & The Ukranian

Sarvis

Erudite
Starwars said:
(despite that the checkpoint in Cordon is controlled by STALKERs).

Every time I leave something in control of Stalkers, I come back to find the Stalkers dead and bandits shooting at me.

Ladonna

Arcane
Yesterday I was gonna go back to Cordon to finish some missions so I was fighting my way through the garbage. If you enter the Garbage from Cordon, there's a small bandit camp to the right of you a bit ahead. I was coming from the bar, and I saw that there were bandits at the camp so I figured I'd clear them out.
Cleared them out, was looting the bodies... 1 bandit spawn right beside me. Shoot him in the face, continue looting. 2 new bandits spawn and I saw screw this and just run away.

I cleared this camp a number of times....I regret to say that after fighting the bandit hordes back many times (From both this camp and the ambush camp with the wrecked Helo, buses, etc) a mass of pseudo dogs have taken over both camps. When bandits spawn in these locations, they quickly become dogfood.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why do people complain? I have had little to no trouble avoiding most bandits, or just running past them, making use of cover. Try not to play Stalker like an ego-shooter when moving from A to B, saves ammunition, time and patience.

suibhne

Erudite
The respawn rates are trivially easy to mod yourself even if you don't want to install other mods. I changed things around to make them more "realistic", and that removed the single biggest irritation in the game for me.

I hear that the next patch will fix this respawning bug anyway, tho. It apparently occurs mostly in the Garbage and in one other spot, I can't remember where.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I finally got Stalker. Damn customs.

As has become usual, I've spent the last two hours reading about and downloading mods. I miss the times when I'd just install a game and play.
I'm uncertain if I should try the game without mods first or install some "fixes" right away.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone else encountered this strange bug: My desktop icon for Stalker uses a Windows placeholder, as stalker.ico apparently doesn't contain any icons. So I use the setup icon now.

PS: Will modders never leard to name their readmes properly? It's so simple. You're releasing a UT map called DM-Loser? Then DM-Loser.txt is a perfectly good name for your readme file. Readme.txt on the other hand is certain to cause some kind of conflict, you genius. The same goes for all mods.

PPS: Can someone explain to me the reason for this:

Search for the following line in the rows of “fsgame.ltx”:
$game_data$ = false| true| $fs_root$| gamedata\
and edit it to:
$game_data$ = true| true| $fs_root$| gamedata\
A few mods mention it, most don't. I wonder if it's necessary for mods to work at all? I'll test that theory in a minute, but if that isn't it, I'm curious what it's for.

Ladonna

Arcane
I am only playing with the better stealth mod. Though it can make things a little too easy at night.

Oh, and the game ran ultra smooth for me until Pripyat, its turned into an occasional slideshow now. Think I might wait for the patch and restart.

suibhne

Erudite
Claw said:
PPS: Can someone explain to me the reason for this:

Search for the following line in the rows of “fsgame.ltx”:
$game_data$ = false| true| $fs_root$| gamedata\
and edit it to:
$game_data$ = true| true| $fs_root$| gamedata\
A few mods mention it, most don't. I wonder if it's necessary for mods to work at all? I'll test that theory in a minute, but if that isn't it, I'm curious what it's for.

Afaik this is necessary in order for the game to use the modded data before unpacking and using its own data (within compressed archives).

JrK

Prophet
Just to debunk the common faulty idea that the sky is blue due to refraction, I'm here to say that it's due to Rayleigh scattering.

Balor

Arcane
Nae, it's a sure sight of global COLDING! (Mwhahaha!)
Global warming would occur if the sky turn red.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Some modders have found old AI code and turned it on... apparently all the people in the beginning camp buggered off to stalk something and that guy you get your first quest from runs straight to the baddies even if you haven't talked to him. Sounds interesting.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Balor said:
If I had a button that could kill your for your blasphemy I would push it. When we're talking about the fate of the world I could do no less.

Balor

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Balor said:
If I had a button that could kill your for your blasphemy I would push it. When we're talking about the fate of the world I could do no less.

Do you really wanna make the world a better place for humans?
Drink some poison. ;)

Jim Kata

Arbiter
If I had a button that turned kingcomrade off, I would push it. But only if I beat his ukranian girlfriend he has mentioned 32 times to it.

Sarvis

Erudite
I'd say just ignore him, but I've been doing that and he just keeps posting more... maybe someone should write a KC auto-responder to keep him happy.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Sarvis said:
I'd say just ignore him, but I've been doing that and he just keeps posting more... maybe someone should write a KC auto-responder to keep him happy.
Well, I originally wrote kingcomrade to keep volourn occupied and things went horribly wrong, as you can see. I hate to think what the next horrow I inflict on the interwebs could be.

Fez

Erudite
Kingston said:
Some modders have found old AI code and turned it on... apparently all the people in the beginning camp buggered off to stalk something and that guy you get your first quest from runs straight to the baddies even if you haven't talked to him. Sounds interesting.

That does sound promising. They are doing well considering there isn't an official SDK released for modders yet. They do seem to be making progress at tinkering with and tearing into the code.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
By the way Sarvis, we don't gang up on you for your dumbfuck tag, merely for your dumbfuck comments. You complained that nothing gave you warnings about the radiation. I told you all the obvious places where it was mentioned and you brush it all off saying you don't read stuff like that. Do you need a fucking memo posted infront of your eyeballs then, because I can't really think of how much more obvious the warning would need to be to placate you and your whining. You are right, it wasn't a big issue, but you made it one by bringing it up as one of your main points.

About the bandit respawning though, you are correct. Those fuckers just don't want to go away or learn their lesson. If I saw someone in an exoskeleton wading through my AK wielding buddies with a fucking knife while taking about a thousand body shots, I'd run the fuck away, not keep shooting and running towards him. Apparently though, the second patch is suppose to address this problem and tone down the respawning time quite a bit. \

Yes I noticed that Pripyat and the outside area of Chernobyl are just fucking unplayable as well, even with every setting put to the lowest. My computer can handle the poly count so it must be a problem with their coding and the engine. God only knows why they designed their own engine. They could have easily used something like the Unreal 2l engine to do the big outside areas with detailed buildings...even vehicles. It would run faster and look just as nice. It would be just as moddable. And, it would give people someway to make new maps. Oh well...maybe they'll fix their shit within the next five years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom