Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Stalker - The Good, The Bad, & The Ukranian

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Jason, Mar 19, 2007.

1. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    Doesn't that mean that nothing has color? Just like with the sky, it's all about which light frequencies are absorbed, reflected, or refracted.

^ Top  
  2. suibhne Erudite

suibhne
    Afaik this is necessary in order for the game to use the modded data before unpacking and using its own data (within compressed archives).

^ Top  
  3. JrK Prophet

JrK
    Just to debunk the common faulty idea that the sky is blue due to refraction, I'm here to say that it's due to Rayleigh scattering.

^ Top  
  4. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    Actually a blue sky is caused by global warming.

^ Top  
  5. Balor Arcane

Balor
    Nae, it's a sure sight of global COLDING! (Mwhahaha!)
    Global warming would occur if the sky turn red.

^ Top  
  6. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    Some modders have found old AI code and turned it on... apparently all the people in the beginning camp buggered off to stalk something and that guy you get your first quest from runs straight to the baddies even if you haven't talked to him. Sounds interesting.

^ Top  
  7. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    If I had a button that could kill your for your blasphemy I would push it. When we're talking about the fate of the world I could do no less.

^ Top  
  8. Balor Arcane

Balor
    Do you really wanna make the world a better place for humans?
    Drink some poison. ;)

^ Top  
  9. Jim Kata Arbiter

Jim Kata
    If I had a button that turned kingcomrade off, I would push it. But only if I beat his ukranian girlfriend he has mentioned 32 times to it.

^ Top  
  10. Sarvis Erudite

Sarvis
    I'd say just ignore him, but I've been doing that and he just keeps posting more... maybe someone should write a KC auto-responder to keep him happy.

^ Top  
  11. Romanian_Dude2005 Scholar

Romanian_Dude2005
    Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
    And for fuck sake's change your avatar KC, that's one fucking ugly son of a bicth.

^ Top  
  12. Jim Kata Arbiter

Jim Kata
    Well, I originally wrote kingcomrade to keep volourn occupied and things went horribly wrong, as you can see. I hate to think what the next horrow I inflict on the interwebs could be.

^ Top  
  13. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    guys u hurt my feelings

^ Top  
  14. Fez Erudite

Fez
    That does sound promising. They are doing well considering there isn't an official SDK released for modders yet. They do seem to be making progress at tinkering with and tearing into the code.

^ Top  
  15. Blacklung Arbiter

Blacklung
    The geological, topographical, theological pancake
    By the way Sarvis, we don't gang up on you for your dumbfuck tag, merely for your dumbfuck comments. You complained that nothing gave you warnings about the radiation. I told you all the obvious places where it was mentioned and you brush it all off saying you don't read stuff like that. Do you need a fucking memo posted infront of your eyeballs then, because I can't really think of how much more obvious the warning would need to be to placate you and your whining. You are right, it wasn't a big issue, but you made it one by bringing it up as one of your main points.

About the bandit respawning though, you are correct. Those fuckers just don't want to go away or learn their lesson. If I saw someone in an exoskeleton wading through my AK wielding buddies with a fucking knife while taking about a thousand body shots, I'd run the fuck away, not keep shooting and running towards him. Apparently though, the second patch is suppose to address this problem and tone down the respawning time quite a bit. \

Yes I noticed that Pripyat and the outside area of Chernobyl are just fucking unplayable as well, even with every setting put to the lowest. My computer can handle the poly count so it must be a problem with their coding and the engine. God only knows why they designed their own engine. They could have easily used something like the Unreal 2l engine to do the big outside areas with detailed buildings...even vehicles. It would run faster and look just as nice. It would be just as moddable. And, it would give people someway to make new maps. Oh well...maybe they'll fix their shit within the next five years.

^ Top  
  16. Sarvis Erudite

Sarvis
    :roll:

Still haven't read the instructions, and I'm doing just fine. Frankly, 90% of the time instructions aren't necessary or even useful to play a game these days, which is largely why I gave up reading them.

As for the PDA, I actually tried to look something up after running into an invisible mutant in Agropromm... my reward was getting shot at by military guys. :P

^ Top  
  17. Sarvis Erudite

Sarvis
    Oh, and I never complained about a <i>lack of warning</i>. I complained about the lack of a way to deal with the situation so early. There's a difference.

It's funny you guys always mention dumbfuck comments, but 90% of the time go on to put words in my mouth that barely relate to what I actually said.

^ Top  
  18. Blacklung Arbiter

Blacklung
    Oh don't be so nit picky. Warning, way to cure, it just matters that it was something you weren't expecting and didn't know how to handle, despite the obvious cues. My point was that I pointed out things that should have alerted you and you snubbed it.

On top of that, you tried to railroad a perfectly good thread by bringing up sky color. Would you like to argue against the dumbfuckery of that?

Anyway, if you don't want to ganged up on, just don't react so strongly to the dumbfuck stuff. If I call out someone for being a dumbfuck it's going to be for acting like one, not because of the title. Unless you're Sheek.

Besides, the rest of your complaints are pretty damn valid and I definitely agree with them. I'm trying to be reasonable here.

How far are you now anyhow? Have you gotten the exoskeleton or the really good black body armor (not the SEVA). Is it just me or do they just seem overpowered. It seems that I can lay into other guys with those suits and they go down really fast, yet it takes forever for them to do the same to me. Hell, bandits don't even bother me anymore. I can WALK right through their fire fights or run up and knife them to death while barely taking a scratch. Given, it does degrade your armor, but I installed a mod that brought back the no damage for armor. I refuse to play with armor deterioration if they aren't going to give me a way to repair the stuff, especially considering how fast it degrades and how some of it can't be replaced.

^ Top  
  19. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You know, radiation actually goes away by itself.
    So, all you really have to do is unequip the artifact. Those 5 rads don't kill you quickly by themselves.

Does the starting camp have especially bad performance or is that normal for the game? The game runs pretty well, but whenever I just look in the direction of the camp it begins to stutter.

PS: You could just have installed the repair mod?

^ Top  
  20. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    It's like Frodo and the Ring! The less he wears it the less is the corruption of his soul but in time of dire need it is always there to help him. I could write a book.

^ Top  
  21. Blacklung Arbiter

Blacklung
    KC, the next great fantasy writer. I can see it now. RPG Codex and the Battle for CRPG.

^ Top  
  22. Sarvis Erudite

Sarvis
    I just reached the bar, got a stalker suit. I like it, I went back to the cordon to try and finish a quest and cleared out the military guys by the bridge with ease. Of course, it took me too long and the stupid timer ran out on the quest. :roll:

Where do you get that armor damage mod? Does it work on weapons too?

Is there a mod that turns off quest timers? Preferably after you finished the objective and just need to report back. Kind of sucks to be walking back to the quest giver and the timer runs out...

<b>Claw</b>

Actually, it killed me before it wore off. Several times in a row, since I had saved before I noticed the radiation icon... heh.

New Complaints:

Starting weapons are absolute crap. I guess that's not new, but I didn't say it before... but the first guy I killed I actually ran up to and stabbed after wasting all my bullets trying to shoot him.

No flashlight on minimum quality. I guess people with crappy graphics cards aren't meant to see in the dark.

It doesn't get very dark at night. I was trying to sneak into that military outpost, and never even reaalized it was night until I heard crickets chirping.

Sometimes the game is just cheap. I can fire one shot at someone while hiding in the bushes, and suddenly everyone in the base knows my _exact_ location.

Not so much a complaint, but an oddity I've noticed: Soldiers appear to walk around with their guns unloaded a lot. I'm always picking up machine guns to unload them and finding them already empty... even if they died without firing at me!

^ Top  
  23. Blacklung Arbiter

Blacklung
    For the flashlight you can type this into the console:

rl_dlights on

Here is the site for the armor mod. You might want to poke around a bit at this site: http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Armor_Decay_Mod;77357. It seems like the modders are getting into the swing of things. In times of greatest darkness, the light begins to shine.

Just be warned though Sarvis, if you have mods installed then you can't play online unless the server has the same mods. Not that multiplayer is very good. Teleporting movement with 76 ping is really bad networking code by any standards.

Have fun Sarvis.

^ Top  
  24. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    Starting weapons are supposed to be crap, makes the whole "survival" aspect a lot more fun. Don't be such a pussy, Sarvis.

^ Top  
  25. Atrokkus Erudite

Atrokkus
    You fucking whiners, the respawn rate on that area near the zone transition point (surrounded by the desolate train warehouse, and that huge pile of garbage to the right) seemed completely natural to me. It made the area somewhat challenging to clear out, which is always fun. That's what the game is about, anyway -- challenge. The means it uses to achieve this is something i have no desire to dwell on because really I dont care.

There's only one thing in the game that I REALLLY need fixed: that goddamn save-load BUG. When you autosave during a fight and upon reloading every fucking enemy out there automatically sees you through any concealment imaginable. That's just fucking annoying.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)