Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stalker - The Good, The Bad, & The Ukranian

Sarvis

Erudite
Sylvanus said:
By the way Sarvis, we don't gang up on you for your dumbfuck tag, merely for your dumbfuck comments. You complained that nothing gave you warnings about the radiation. I told you all the obvious places where it was mentioned and you brush it all off saying you don't read stuff like that. Do you need a fucking memo posted infront of your eyeballs then, because I can't really think of how much more obvious the warning would need to be to placate you and your whining. You are right, it wasn't a big issue, but you made it one by bringing it up as one of your main points.

:roll:

Still haven't read the instructions, and I'm doing just fine. Frankly, 90% of the time instructions aren't necessary or even useful to play a game these days, which is largely why I gave up reading them.

As for the PDA, I actually tried to look something up after running into an invisible mutant in Agropromm... my reward was getting shot at by military guys. :P

Sarvis

Erudite
Oh, and I never complained about a <i>lack of warning</i>. I complained about the lack of a way to deal with the situation so early. There's a difference.

It's funny you guys always mention dumbfuck comments, but 90% of the time go on to put words in my mouth that barely relate to what I actually said.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Oh don't be so nit picky. Warning, way to cure, it just matters that it was something you weren't expecting and didn't know how to handle, despite the obvious cues. My point was that I pointed out things that should have alerted you and you snubbed it.

On top of that, you tried to railroad a perfectly good thread by bringing up sky color. Would you like to argue against the dumbfuckery of that?

Anyway, if you don't want to ganged up on, just don't react so strongly to the dumbfuck stuff. If I call out someone for being a dumbfuck it's going to be for acting like one, not because of the title. Unless you're Sheek.

Besides, the rest of your complaints are pretty damn valid and I definitely agree with them. I'm trying to be reasonable here.

How far are you now anyhow? Have you gotten the exoskeleton or the really good black body armor (not the SEVA). Is it just me or do they just seem overpowered. It seems that I can lay into other guys with those suits and they go down really fast, yet it takes forever for them to do the same to me. Hell, bandits don't even bother me anymore. I can WALK right through their fire fights or run up and knife them to death while barely taking a scratch. Given, it does degrade your armor, but I installed a mod that brought back the no damage for armor. I refuse to play with armor deterioration if they aren't going to give me a way to repair the stuff, especially considering how fast it degrades and how some of it can't be replaced.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You know, radiation actually goes away by itself.
So, all you really have to do is unequip the artifact. Those 5 rads don't kill you quickly by themselves.

Does the starting camp have especially bad performance or is that normal for the game? The game runs pretty well, but whenever I just look in the direction of the camp it begins to stutter.

PS: You could just have installed the repair mod?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You know, radiation actually goes away by itself.
So, all you really have to do is unequip the artifact.
It's like Frodo and the Ring! The less he wears it the less is the corruption of his soul but in time of dire need it is always there to help him. I could write a book.

Sarvis

Erudite
I just reached the bar, got a stalker suit. I like it, I went back to the cordon to try and finish a quest and cleared out the military guys by the bridge with ease. Of course, it took me too long and the stupid timer ran out on the quest. :roll:

Where do you get that armor damage mod? Does it work on weapons too?

Is there a mod that turns off quest timers? Preferably after you finished the objective and just need to report back. Kind of sucks to be walking back to the quest giver and the timer runs out...

<b>Claw</b>

Actually, it killed me before it wore off. Several times in a row, since I had saved before I noticed the radiation icon... heh.

New Complaints:

Starting weapons are absolute crap. I guess that's not new, but I didn't say it before... but the first guy I killed I actually ran up to and stabbed after wasting all my bullets trying to shoot him.

No flashlight on minimum quality. I guess people with crappy graphics cards aren't meant to see in the dark.

It doesn't get very dark at night. I was trying to sneak into that military outpost, and never even reaalized it was night until I heard crickets chirping.

Sometimes the game is just cheap. I can fire one shot at someone while hiding in the bushes, and suddenly everyone in the base knows my _exact_ location.

Not so much a complaint, but an oddity I've noticed: Soldiers appear to walk around with their guns unloaded a lot. I'm always picking up machine guns to unload them and finding them already empty... even if they died without firing at me!

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
For the flashlight you can type this into the console:

rl_dlights on

Here is the site for the armor mod. You might want to poke around a bit at this site: http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Armor_Decay_Mod;77357. It seems like the modders are getting into the swing of things. In times of greatest darkness, the light begins to shine.

Just be warned though Sarvis, if you have mods installed then you can't play online unless the server has the same mods. Not that multiplayer is very good. Teleporting movement with 76 ping is really bad networking code by any standards.

Have fun Sarvis.

Atrokkus

Erudite
You fucking whiners, the respawn rate on that area near the zone transition point (surrounded by the desolate train warehouse, and that huge pile of garbage to the right) seemed completely natural to me. It made the area somewhat challenging to clear out, which is always fun. That's what the game is about, anyway -- challenge. The means it uses to achieve this is something i have no desire to dwell on because really I dont care.

There's only one thing in the game that I REALLLY need fixed: that goddamn save-load BUG. When you autosave during a fight and upon reloading every fucking enemy out there automatically sees you through any concealment imaginable. That's just fucking annoying.

Sarvis

Erudite
Atrokkus said:
You fucking whiners, the respawn rate on that area near the zone transition point (surrounded by the desolate train warehouse, and that huge pile of garbage to the right) seemed completely natural to me. It made the area somewhat challenging to clear out, which is always fun. That's what the game is about, anyway -- challenge. The means it uses to achieve this is something i have no desire to dwell on because really I dont care.

There's only one thing in the game that I REALLLY need fixed: that goddamn save-load BUG. When you autosave during a fight and upon reloading every fucking enemy out there automatically sees you through any concealment imaginable. That's just fucking annoying.

Starting weapons should be crap, yes... but not completely worthless.

That save load bug might explain why the base alarm went off when I loaded a game while sneaking through the base...

Ladonna

Arcane
That save load bug might explain why the base alarm went off when I loaded a game while sneaking through the base...

Yep, thats a bug. Without the mentioned mod, the enemy automatically know where you are on reloads.

JrK

Prophet
I tried that big realism mod from the filefront site and man does it make a difference. The big thing about it is the increased recoil, which is a feature I loved in DOD:S and was anxious to see in any other game. Now stalker has it too, w00t!

Ladonna

Arcane
Where do you get that stealth mod? I don't see it on Sylvanus' site...

Go to the STALKER english forums, go to the modders forum, and look for a thread topic 'Improved stealth' or 'fixed stealth' or something. Its there. But the stupid forums there don't let me post directly.

Pretend its a quest :wink:

Fez

Erudite
I'd love to see a base like that old factory/warehouse have one of them set up in it sometimes. It would make assaulting it more of a challenge at times.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sarvis said:
Starting weapons are absolute crap. I guess that's not new, but I didn't say it before... but the first guy I killed I actually ran up to and stabbed after wasting all my bullets trying to shoot him.
That means you suck, sorry. I did the first quest, which included killing several bandits on my own - I had chosen to decline help - with my starting gun.
OK, I did kill three with a shotgun I got from a dead stalker, but I still killed several with the pistol. I don't know exactly how many hits I needed for one, but certainly not ALL OF THEM.
Of course, I don't know who you tried to kill.

Sarvis

Erudite
Dude, when I have the target centered on the guy and fire an entire clip without hitting him I don't think it's my fault...

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Want a decent starting weapon? Kill Wolf with the pistol he gives you and take his AK. Instant profit.

PS: Don't aim for center mass. Your enemies tend to wear armor.

Fez

Erudite
Wolf will only die in a barrel later on. You may as well.

Ladonna

Arcane
Wolf will only die in a barrel later on. You may as well.

I found him dead next to a barrel (And vodka....) in the warehouse (Freedom) district down in that little valley with junk around it. Is this what you mean?

I was pissed actually, because he and the others around the fire were all dead, and the place was full of those pseudo dogs. Only Father whateverhisnameis was left alive up on the hill.

Is he dead here in everyone elses game?

Fez

Erudite
Yup, that's the part I mean. I found him dead at the barrel with vodka and an AK at hand. Perhaps the Zone became too much for him? The AI is more impressive than I gave it credit for.

He dies in a barrel for everyone, I think. Or it is at least very common as I see it mentioned in other places and the replies indicate they've seen it too. The rest of the folks dead there would have been due to the random attack by dogs.

It's pretty sad to see the guy you looked up to as the veteran Stalker, who ushered you in to the world, helped you get started and acted as a mentor stumble into a barrel and die without even being able to finish his vodka. I remember when his friend took over at the starter's camp and said Wolf had received a message and went off on some mission. Little did I know that he was lying and planning to bite the bullet all along.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom