Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Angthoron

Arcane
They're seriously going to put Squadron 42 into Early Access. Fucking incompetent idiots.
Is that for reals or are you just joking? I honestly can't see this happening for like a thousand reasons.

ZeniBot

Cipher
They're seriously going to put Squadron 42 into Early Access. Fucking incompetent idiots.
Is that for reals or are you just joking? I honestly can't see this happening for like a thousand reasons.

Israel.

https://www.pcgamer.com/star-citize...to-begin-beta-testing-in-second-half-of-2020/

Oy Vey.

I don't get why you have to beta-test a single player experience when that was the entire point of the Persistent Universe.
There is no reason for the mass consumer to have access to a beta for this. You could just hire plenty of QAs to accomplish the same outcome. The only reason they're doing this is because they know they can't get the game finished with the budget they have so its dump the game in what ever state its in and hope someones dumb enough to buy it before its released.

Angthoron

Arcane

Israel.

https://www.pcgamer.com/star-citize...to-begin-beta-testing-in-second-half-of-2020/

Oy Vey.

I don't get why you have to beta-test a single player experience when that was the entire point of the Persistent Universe.
There is no reason for the mass consumer to have access to a beta for this. You could just hire plenty of QAs to accomplish the same outcome. The only reason they're doing this is because they know they can't get the game finished with the budget they have so its dump the game in what ever state its in and hope someones dumb enough to buy it before its released.
Oh, in 2020. Man, I still remember when it was almost ready to launch in 2016 and someone played through all the missions :)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh yeah and I actually did pay for a basic package of this before the project went completely retarded, and I didn't refund it because eh fuck it, too much effort.

you're like an abused wife that's now at the horizontal on psychologist's bench and can't shut up.

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh yeah and I actually did pay for a basic package of this before the project went completely retarded, and I didn't refund it because eh fuck it, too much effort.

you're like an abused wife that's now at the horizontal on psychologist's bench and can't shut up.
Okay, so you can't name a single ground-breaking feature. That's cool, cause neither can I, heh.

Also, are you projecting? If you are, consider stopping. If you aren't, keep doing whatever it is you're doing, commando! o7

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

Okay, so you can't name a single ground-breaking feature. That's cool, cause neither can I, heh.

Also, are you projecting? If you are, consider stopping. If you aren't, keep doing whatever it is you're doing, commando! o7

The affirmation, "What did CIG hack into CryEngine that's worth buying over any other alternative?" it's so basic and visceral in its blind hatred and disregards the easily verifiable facts to a such degree, that leaves decency nearly dumbfounded.
If the evident and common sense elude you, I am not gonna spend time to enumerate the ABCs to someone that warps reality with such great resentment and bitterness and has the demeanor of someone that is hurting badly in real life and comes here to vent his frustrations, non-accomplishments and dissatisfaction with oneself.
People like you that lack balance cannot be reasoned with, regardless of how much energy is invested, until the root cause is eradicated or at least diminished.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The affirmation, "What did CIG hack into CryEngine that's worth buying over any other alternative?" it's so basic and visceral in its blind hatred and disregards the easily verifiable facts to a such degree, that leaves decency nearly dumbfounded.
If it's that basic, then it will be obvious to everyone and you don't have to clutter the thread with your whining.

If, on the other hand, it's not that basic, no one will have any idea what you are bitching about.

Point being: Either explain it to him or shut up about it.

Angthoron

Arcane

Ah, you are indeed projecting. Now, you see, I only actually hate liver and various other internal organs as food. Well, okay, I also hate loud eaters. CIG serves me as a source of free entertainment with its blunders and its amazing community that's too big for its britches. In fact, you're my free entertainment here. Thanks! I wouldn't bother going on Reddit to make the locals restless, but you were kind enough to bring the experience of talking to one of the Citizens all the way to me. I am genuinely grateful.

So, you see, you put effort into things you hate and then assume others do, too. I guess you go to some subreddits and viscerally take down others? That's cool. I'm sorry I dumbfounded your decency, but I hope it - and modesty - are well covered anyway.

If the evident and common sense elude you, I am not gonna spend time to enumerate the ABCs to someone that warps reality with such great resentment and bitterness and has the demeanor of someone that is hurting badly in real life and comes here to vent his frustrations, non-accomplishments and dissatisfaction with oneself.

Mmm, look, I'm not the one that's investing hundreds of dollars in hopes to escape their life and become an amazing space admiral. But I get it, you have no single factual feature to share with us here. That's cool! It just shows that you're an honest man that's not willing to make shit up for the sake of protecting some pre-alpha fundraiser. I admire you for it.

People like you that lack balance cannot be reasoned with, regardless of how much energy is invested, until the root cause is eradicated or at least diminished.
I resent this comment, my handstands have actually been improving. Also, what's this? Are you suggesting eradication of my remaining balance or diminishing it? Or eradicating me? What exactly are you calling for, here? I'm afraid your efflorescent prose leaves my jaw quite agape, commando. Is this some kind of Reddit intellectual thing or have you developed your skills on your own?

Overall, I like your post. It's belligerent, projecting to the point you could pursue a new professional career, and completely unwilling to give a single fact on just about anything. I mean sure, I'm lazily shitting on your favourite 7-year-old pre-alpha here, but instead of taking a moment to tell others how wrong I am, you spend hours to figure out how best to ruin my e-peen. Please continue o7

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

Ah, you are indeed projecting. Now, you see, I only actually hate liver and various other internal organs as food. Well, okay, I also hate loud eaters. CIG serves me as a source of free entertainment with its blunders and its amazing community that's too big for its britches. In fact, you're my free entertainment here. Thanks! I wouldn't bother going on Reddit to make the locals restless, but you were kind enough to bring the experience of talking to one of the Citizens all the way to me. I am genuinely grateful.

So, you see, you put effort into things you hate and then assume others do, too. I guess you go to some subreddits and viscerally take down others? That's cool. I'm sorry I dumbfounded your decency, but I hope it - and modesty - are well covered anyway.

Mmm, look, I'm not the one that's investing hundreds of dollars in hopes to escape their life and become an amazing space admiral. But I get it, you have no single factual feature to share with us here. That's cool! It just shows that you're an honest man that's not willing to make shit up for the sake of protecting some pre-alpha fundraiser. I admire you for it.

I resent this comment, my handstands have actually been improving. Also, what's this? Are you suggesting eradication of my remaining balance or diminishing it? Or eradicating me? What exactly are you calling for, here? I'm afraid your efflorescent prose leaves my jaw quite agape, commando. Is this some kind of Reddit intellectual thing or have you developed your skills on your own?

Overall, I like your post. It's belligerent, projecting to the point you could pursue a new professional career, and completely unwilling to give a single fact on just about anything. I mean sure, I'm lazily shitting on your favourite 7-year-old pre-alpha here, but instead of taking a moment to tell others how wrong I am, you spend hours to figure out how best to ruin my e-peen. Please continue o7

My Christmas wish is for you to find happiness in life as much as you think you're good at slapping people around and proving you're right on the internet.
This way you'll not be like an abject Star Citizen fanboy from the opposite pole.

PS: Learn brevity, stop putting lame spins and stop promoting bazaar worthy clinical pseudo-psychology.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
My Christmas wish is for you to find happiness in life
Thanks! :D My wish to you is the same.

Tthis way you'll not be like an abject Star Citizen fanboy from the opposite pole.
Aw, and then come the snide caveats. I wish you to find happiness regardless of whether everyone likes a non-existent game or not, snarky comando!

PS: Learn brevity, stop putting lame spins and stop promoting bazaar worthy clinical pseudo-psychology.
So wait, you come at me with judgement, attempt to shut me up, try to interpret what I do in ways fitting to your narrative, toss around some metaphors, talk vaguely about "eradicating the source", and then when none of it sticks, tell me I type too much? Meh.

And yet again, despite the lovely Christmas wishes, you chose to go for personal attacks instead of simply talking about well-known advances in engine technology. If such exist, believe me, they're not "well known" outside the fairly tiny hyper-engaged backer circle. You could've done a service to the game and to potential players. Instead you tried to do a disservice to me. It's your choice! o7

Helton

Arcane
I've no horse in this race. I'm not even sure what you two are debating. But I wanted to let you know, writing like this does not make you sound intelligent. You should speak clearly and concisely, and your writing should match. My impression of you after reading this post? Sub-90 iq 12 year old. Am I wrong?

I think you two are both arguing that Star Citizen is shit whilst simultainiously calling each other fanboys. You couldn't get a more entertaining argument if you read r:Atheism. Where's that Spider-Man image?

c-658vsxoao3ovc-1139955.jpeg

There we go. Enjoy your Reddit Codex.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
So wait, you come at me with judgement
Yes, you're a sad person talking out of his ass and whose entertainment and joy deliverer is CIG's blunders.
And that's valid for 90% of the persons that comment on this thread.

attempt to shut me up
No.

tell me I type too much?
Not only that but when you're babbling about livers, reddit, actual eradication of someone, spending hours (that was exquisite), e-penises, space admirals - you're clearly grieved because I really struck a chord it seems.

You should speak clearly and concisely
GO. FIND. THE CHIP.
now in all seriousness, don't ever try to understand a court disposition or a judicial complaint, it will only be frustrating for you.

EDIT: (because somehow I forgot about this gem)
You could've done a service to the game and to potential players. Instead you tried to do a disservice to me
I chose to make a service to me first.
Because making a case to you is like presenting evidence to a flat earther and like having a discussion that in the end will boil down if gravity exists or not. The flat earther will claim that it does not and the jews brainwashed us to believe it does.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
CIG has obviously done a ton of modifications to the base cryengine. The most obvious thing is the planetary tech, but along with that, converting it to 64 bit and their "object container streaming".

CIG not significantly rewriting code is a new criticism for me lol

Angthoron

Arcane
So wait, you come at me with judgement
Yes, you're a sad person talking out of his ass and whose entertainment and joy deliverer is CIG's blunders.
And that's valid for 90% of the persons that comment on this thread.
You keep making me happy by posting here though. Maybe we should get a room and make out :love:

Inbe4 "get a room"

Ok.

tell me I type too much?
Not only that but when you're babbling about livers, reddit, actual eradication of someone, spending hours (that was exquisite), e-penises, space admirals - you're clearly grieved because I really struck a chord it seems.
Lol, no. I just want to see what other sick owns you'll come up with, the moment you dropped the "abused wife horizontal" thing I knew this had potential.

I chose to make a service to me first.
Because making a case to you is like presenting evidence to a flat earther and like having a discussion that in the end will boil down if gravity exists or not. The flat earther will claim that it does not and the jews brainwashed us to believe it does.
Not sure what service it was you made to yourself, but hey, you know best.

CIG has obviously done a ton of modifications to the base cryengine. The most obvious thing is the planetary tech, but along with that, converting it to 64 bit and their "object container streaming".

CIG not significantly rewriting code is a new criticism for me lol

1) Planetary tech is new for CryEngine, yep, absolutely. Other engines would have better capability for it, and it's not groundbreaking, but yes, this was a new thing.
2) 64-bit conversion of position tracking, not the whole thing. It's 64-bit precision vs 32-bit precision. Idk if it's actually doing a lot since everything still jitters but yeah, this is a thing.
3) Container streaming isn't new. Maybe it's new in CryEngine 3.7, but otherwise it isn't, and exists in other engines.
4) Never said they didn't rewrite a ton of code (I simply don't know if they did or didn't, that's one of the things for the court to determine I think?), rather, said I don't see why anyone would want to buy what they made.

I mean, take even the planetary tech, let's say it was unique and no other engine could do it at all. Now imagine this, it's on Cry Engine 3.7. Current CryEngine is 5. This means either converting tech to 5th engine (a lot of rework) or using 3.7 (Lumberyard?). Since barely anyone uses Lumberyard, I'm going to guess abovementioned killer app wouldn't really swing things too much the other way. I could be wrong.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Well I don't know of another game that does similar planetary scale and procgen stuff on a real engine and not some home-brew indie engine. A lot of their stuff isn't brand new technology necessarily, but it's new to cryengine and in some cases higher quality than past implementations (compare their "FOIP" to the implementation in Everquest 2). It might still be more trouble/cost than it's worth to license those things out, I have no idea, but I could definitely see other games finding that tech useful.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well I don't know of another game that does similar planetary scale and procgen stuff on a real engine and not some home-brew indie engine. A lot of their stuff isn't brand new technology necessarily, but it's new to cryengine and in some cases higher quality than past implementations (compare their "FOIP" to the implementation in Everquest 2). It might still be more trouble/cost than it's worth to license those things out, I have no idea, but I could definitely see other games finding that tech useful.
The problem I find here is that I've not seen most of mentioned stuff on a large enough scale. IF they have procgen working for realsies, and IF procgen cities work as they say they do, that is pretty cool. Of course, NMS beat them to the punch with procgen (and it turned out that a billion procgen'd planets are all duller than one handcrafted city...), but nevertheless that would be cool stuff for sure, and city procgen hasn't been done for FPS/Space games as far as I know.

However, it's the whole if thing that I find detracting a fair bit. I mean, right now CIG says that it's procgen tech. Maybe it is. However, all they have to show for is 4 moons and 1 city. It's not even multiple cities, or a planet that is covered by a megacity, it's just one city with a commercial district that was added in a patch. Until there are hundreds of procgen'd cities pushed out in one single patch, or a handful of planets with hundreds of procgen'd cities pushed out in a single patch, it's pretty much like saying that you own a Tesla and offering a car tire track in your yard as proof. I mean, maybe it IS a Tesla track, and maybe that Tesla is yours, but like, welp, that's not proof. Could be I'm excessively sceptical, but if so, it's just a matter of time for that to go away once there's more and more evidence of the contrary.

.However, all they have to show for is 4 moons and 1 city.

I've yet to see a full game with the scale and detail of Star Citizen Alpha 3.4. Yeah sure you got games that do bits of Star Citizen seperately but I've yet to see a game where you can walk around a fully realised, detailed city. Then get in a buggy, drive around, get picked up by a large frigate, walk around the fully detailed interior of that frigate that's basically an FPS level that flies. And then to shoot off to another planet with another large city so you can wander around that, get missions and fly off to one of the various space stations. And also do all that without any loading screens, with multiple players around. Maybe the tech isn't as impressive as claimed but I've yet to see a game where all that tech works as seemslessly as it does with Star Citizen or with that kind of scale. Elite is still stuggling to do space legs with proc gen moons that are blander than the actual gameplay of Elite Dangerous. With no real player interactivity to speak of.

Angthoron

Arcane
.However, all they have to show for is 4 moons and 1 city.

I've yet to see a full game with the scale and detail of Star Citizen Alpha 3.4. Yeah sure you got games that do bits of Star Citizen seperately but I've yet to see a game where you can walk around a fully realised, detailed city. Then get in a buggy, drive around, get picked up by a large frigate, walk around the fully detailed interior of that frigate that's basically an FPS level that flies. And then to shoot off to another planet with another large city so you can wander around that, get missions and fly off to one of the various space stations. And also do all that without any loading screens, with multiple players around. Maybe the tech isn't as impressive as claimed but I've yet to see a game where all that tech works as seemslessly as it does with Star Citizen or with that kind of scale. Elite is still stuggling to do space legs with proc gen moons that are blander than the actual gameplay of Elite Dangerous. With no real player interactivity to speak of.

I was under impression that there is only one large city, and that there is not much gameplay around it except the showrooms and the trains. Are there many procgen cities then? As for fully realised, what do you mean by that? Is there gameplay associated with the cities? How much gameplay stuff can you do in town? I mean I guess you can shoot each others (or are they non-combat zones, btw?), but what else is there to actually do?

Again, another of my issues with SC is this - when I played other alpha/beta releases, I could see the gameplay loop. Okay, here's Minecraft. You punch trees and get wood, then do stuff with your wood to get rocks. You walk to the edge of the map and there's no edge of the map. You dig. Big woop. You build a giant fortress to commemorate your autism. Woo. Okay. D: OS. You walk around, talk, loot, do small puzzles, do a little physics-related stuff, do co-op things alone or with friends, steal crap, fight stuff. Okay. You get to town and do more of those things. Cool. WL2. You open fridges. You open toasters. Your gun jams. It's in Unity. Okay. Cool. PoE. You see what you'll be doing. Okay.

With SC, I don't see what I'll be doing in that city. Sure, Chris said I'll do this and that. Okay, cool. Maybe it IS a Tesla. But when do I get to see it? How many more years til Tier 0 implementation of, I dunno, basic gameplay besides "Here's vehicles, they move, here's some pretty scenery, voila"

Also you reminded me, I should try Elite: Dongerous some time. I hear it's pretty (and pretty dull)

Why can't someone just release I-War 3? Fuck me I guess.

As of 3.4 which is playable right now on the PTU, there are two major city hubs. Lorville and Hurston. Along with two major space stations, Grim Hex and Port Olisar. At some point in the new year we'll have Arc Corp intergrated into the PU as well. Hurston has one mission giver with another on the way and Lorville has two. There is a big mission chain for each. If you want a definition of Gameplay, you have shops you can buy things from with in game credits. NPCs wandering around, and quest givers and it can take a good hour to fully wander around the arcitecture the devs created. The sort of things you have in every game. It's as fleshed out as any city in Baldur's Gate. The cites are hubs for getting to the meat of the game. Most of the game play is going to take place in space or on the ground away from the cities but even then you will have missions in the cities later on.

Turjan

Arcane
I wonder at which point you will start hating that you have to walk around for an hour in a "city" to get to a quest giver, then walk all the way back and haul your ass into a pilot seat. I can see that the city looks much more interesting than a station in X:Rebirth, but that just means it will take a few times longer until it feels like walking to the grocery store in real life.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Here is a short video showing their financial state in a way. It seems we were on the point when we say that they are running out of money. It is pretty interesting video.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom