Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
tumblr_pk38swB4iu1sj8xx9o1_1280.jpg

Angthoron

Arcane
Ravel: What can change the nature of a man?

1. 247 million moneys
2. Lack of accountability
3. Crowdfunding
4. Fidelity
5. DEREK SMART!!!!!!!
6. Space ship sales
7. Would you like to buy a 27000 dollar space ship pack?
8. 4 studios around the world working 24/7
9. My writing and direction
10. Skeletons. You'll be able to change the nature of a man when we implement woman skeletons in 2019
11. You do, my beautiful backer

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oh yeah and I actually did pay for a basic package of this before the project went completely retarded, and I didn't refund it because eh fuck it, too much effort.

you're like an abused wife that's now at the horizontal on psychologist's bench and can't shut up.
Okay, so you can't name a single ground-breaking feature. That's cool, cause neither can I, heh.

Also, are you projecting? If you are, consider stopping. If you aren't, keep doing whatever it is you're doing, commando! o7

The affirmation, "What did CIG hack into CryEngine that's worth buying over any other alternative?" it's so basic and visceral in its blind hatred and disregards the easily verifiable facts to a such degree, that leaves decency nearly dumbfounded.
If the evident and common sense elude you, I am not gonna spend time to enumerate the ABCs to someone that warps reality with such great resentment and bitterness and has the demeanor of someone that is hurting badly in real life and comes here to vent his frustrations, non-accomplishments and dissatisfaction with oneself.
People like you that lack balance cannot be reasoned with, regardless of how much energy is invested, until the root cause is eradicated or at least diminished.

Jesus fucking Christ you aspie piece of shit.

Pretentious shitbag.

Zeriel

Arcane
I've yet to see a full game with the scale and detail of Star Citizen Alpha 3.4. Yeah sure you got games that do bits of Star Citizen seperately but I've yet to see a game where you can walk around a fully realised, detailed city. Then get in a buggy, drive around, get picked up by a large frigate, walk around the fully detailed interior of that frigate that's basically an FPS level that flies. And then to shoot off to another planet with another large city so you can wander around that, get missions and fly off to one of the various space stations. And also do all that without any loading screens, with multiple players around. Maybe the tech isn't as impressive as claimed but I've yet to see a game where all that tech works as seemslessly as it does with Star Citizen or with that kind of scale. Elite is still stuggling to do space legs with proc gen moons that are blander than the actual gameplay of Elite Dangerous. With no real player interactivity to speak of.

Okay, but is it fun? Do you enjoy playing it? Is it worth $60+?

I've yet to see a full game with the scale and detail of Star Citizen Alpha 3.4. Yeah sure you got games that do bits of Star Citizen seperately but I've yet to see a game where you can walk around a fully realised, detailed city. Then get in a buggy, drive around, get picked up by a large frigate, walk around the fully detailed interior of that frigate that's basically an FPS level that flies. And then to shoot off to another planet with another large city so you can wander around that, get missions and fly off to one of the various space stations. And also do all that without any loading screens, with multiple players around. Maybe the tech isn't as impressive as claimed but I've yet to see a game where all that tech works as seemslessly as it does with Star Citizen or with that kind of scale. Elite is still stuggling to do space legs with proc gen moons that are blander than the actual gameplay of Elite Dangerous. With no real player interactivity to speak of.

Pre 3.3 I would've said no. But all the improvements to FPS and stability have really given the game a lot of life for me. I can sit back and actually enjoy the game now. Considering I didn't pay nearly $60 for the game I think i'm getting my £13 worth out of it.

ADL

Prophet
Wait for a free fly event. That's what's so frustrating about people just spewing misinformation and pretending that the game is still just ships in a hangar. Anyone can download it and try it for free every 4-5 months.

Zeriel

Arcane
Wait for a free fly event. That's what's so frustrating about people just spewing misinformation and pretending that the game is still just ships in a hangar. Anyone can download it and try it for free every 4-5 months.

The only thing that interested me about the original pitch was the singleplayer campaign. "Fly a ship around in space in an MMO with other players!" is already a market well served in my view.

ZeniBot

Cipher
My impression was it would be like Freelancer where it was Singleplayer and Multiplayer. Instead Robberts is like "I'm going to make an MMO when I've never done one before, but hell Richard did one and its considered the best of all time (we'll just ignore all the others) so why wouldn't I give it a shot". Derek Smart was more an authority on the subject since he did this exact very thing with Battlecruiser Online, unfortunately for him he still hasn't bloody learned and is still trying to get his Battlecruiser engine to work with Multiplayer still, the latest version was a massive joke but hey at least he got something out. Robberts is still in pre-production.

ADL

Prophet
Context matters and what Derek Smart put out was fucking terrible while Robert's pre-alpha project is really impressive and is far more release worthy than Line of Defense. I'm not saying Star Citizen is anywhere near release but releasing something bad and clearly unfinished isn't a point in DS' favor.

The only thing that interested me about the original pitch was the singleplayer campaign. "Fly a ship around in space in an MMO with other players!" is already a market well served in my view.
Not really. At least not with the immersive sim elements which add planetary gameplay with interesting locations and ships that you actually pilot in cockpit with a multi-crew.

I can't pilot a ship with 12 other people working aboard a fully functional ship with an interior like the Nostromo from Alien and a giant grinder that devours ships and turns them into salvage in Elite Dangerous/EVE.

ADL

Prophet
To think that believers of this shit still exist.
And to think there's still naysayers who want this to fail when it's free to anyone who downloads it every couple weeks. When I said I did the multi-crew two weeks ago, it was with a group of friends who shitpost about the game and ended up buying the discounted $35 package to keep playing during the anniversary sale. We're playing again tonight, we have a spare account and you're more than welcome to tag along.

If you wait until the next free flight event (next quarter) you'll be playing with the quarterly update that adds a new flight model and the Coruscant-esque city planet.

Angthoron

Arcane
Here's an honest question: how many people here honestly think that 12 people loading up in a single ship flying around for half an hour, maybe running into one-two encounters will make for compelling gameplay? What are these 12 gonna do and why? Would I rather not have 12 spacemans in 12 spaceships doing space things and being a captain and gunman each?

It is a cool feature, sure.

Beastro

Arcane
Here's an honest question: how many people here honestly think that 12 people loading up in a single ship flying around for half an hour, maybe running into one-two encounters will make for compelling gameplay? What are these 12 gonna do and why? Would I rather not have 12 spacemans in 12 spaceships doing space things and being a captain and gunman each?

It is a cool feature, sure.

It's the simulationist problem.

Sounds fun to man and run a warship or take part in a regimented formation in a land battle then you run into the problems of such things being 90% boring and everyone having lives outside of a game to cater to and aren't in something like a military career that forces them to siuck up the boredom.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom