Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Angthoron

Arcane
- Bead of sweat on your body simulated: they said something about simulated blood pressure on your NPC and your avatars, and you see their veins swelling up, or they face become red because of realistic blood pressure physics etc.
I hope this becomes a thing. Mixed with Face over I Pee this should make for powerful nightmare fuel.
What's more, it's already better than Oblivion's soil erosion!
Sadly the AI isn't quite radiant enough yet though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What alternate universe are you guys in where ARMA3 is able to handle 150 clients in multiplayer? Because as someone who has been playing Operation Flashpoint/ARMA for almost twenty years now, it sure as hell isn't mine. Not only would it be hell on the client performance, server performance is tied to what's taking place on the server to the point where 70 clients is pushing it.
Servers with 250 max players have been tried out, there's plenty of servers with 150 players on the server browser. Now all it needs is a server powerful enough to support it an all the clients being powerful enough to run it.

So, it had been tested, but in nobody is playing like this because there are no servers and clients powerful enough. Great. So in practice there are no Arma 3 games like this. Well Star Citizen is also working flawlessly, if you have servers and clients powerful enough to run it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What's this?
Way back in the day, Pete Hines (IIRC, but could have been Todd too) claimed Oblivion's map was made with an algorithm that simulated soil erosion. It was hilariously transparent bullshit, like their accompanying claims about Radiant AI.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
So, it had been tested, but in nobody is playing like this because there are no servers and clients powerful enough. Great. So in practice there are no Arma 3 games like this. Well Star Citizen is also working flawlessly, if you have servers and clients powerful enough to run it.
Except ~150 player servers are abundant in Arma 3 and that's still 100 more players than Star Citizen. I also happen to have a huge feeling that SC probably can't even get close to 100 with the kind of performance people are getting right now.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
- Bead of sweat on your body simulated: they said something about simulated blood pressure on your NPC and your avatars, and you see their veins swelling up, or they face become red because of realistic blood pressure physics etc.
I hope this becomes a thing. Mixed with Face over I Pee this should make for powerful nightmare fuel.
Sadly the AI isn't quite radiant enough yet though.
With all that mucking about in space I bet the AI is thoroughly radiated.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's this?
Way back in the day, Pete Hines (IIRC, but could have been Todd too) claimed Oblivion's map was made with an algorithm that simulated soil erosion. It was hilariously transparent bullshit, like their accompanying claims about Radiant AI.
Maybe he just mixed things up.
The AI clearly showed signs of brain erosion, while the environment was often radiant due to overuse of extreme bloom.

Angthoron

Arcane
What's this?
Maybe he just mixed things up.
The AI clearly showed signs of brain erosion, while the environment was often radiant due to overuse of extreme bloom.
An easy mistake to make, for sure

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
If any additional confirmation was needed, this thing is now officially a complete trainwreck. Recently, Roberts had to bring in an outside investor who gave him a cash injection worth some 47 million dollars. Roberts claims this is for "marketing" but it's pretty much confirmed that they were running low on funds before the investment. New money is now calling the shots and wants all hands on deck to finish the single player game Squadron 42, so the PU (Persistent Universe - the MMO part of the game) is on the backburner. "They will finish Squadron 42 which will be a huge success and give them more time and money to finish the PU" is the latest mantra for SC cultists. Mind you, Squadron 42 is the game that was supposed to come out every year since 2014.

Despite Robert's claims of it being pretty much completed at various points in the past, nobody has ever seen any gameplay except for a 1 hour vertical slice which was utterly boring and mostly features Mark Hamill, lots of saluting and people saying "Sir!" with a stern face, walking around a carrier ship and FPS gameplay. The cinematic trailer they released recently is all smoke and mirrors and just serves to show what an utterly untalented dork Roberts is. It's quite a feat to make even Gary Oldman look bad reading the lines you came up with, so that's an achievement I guess.

Bottom line is, these guys have spent several years building (and selling!) nice-looking, highly detailed 3D assets, while gameplay and technical considerations were an afterthought at best. They claim that Squadron 42 will be ready in 2 years, but as of today, they dont't even have a functioning AI or flight model. They are completely fucked and I expect some juicy drama to come out of this within the next 2 years. The only reason why they are even alive at this point is that they somehow managed to build up a group of fanatical cultists that "are keeping the dream alive" by buying expensive JPEGs even when the signs of impeding doom are everywhere.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mind you, Squadron 42 is the game that was supposed to come out every year since 2014.
Is that confirmed? Was it really announced for release per year?
If so, that would probably be a record on its own.

Even other games with absurdly long development times haven't been announced yearly. At some point, they usually skipped a few years or became "when its done" until cancellation or release.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mind you, Squadron 42 is the game that was supposed to come out every year since 2014.
Is that confirmed? Was it really announced for release per year?
If so, that would probably be a record on its own.

Even other games with absurdly long development times haven't been announced yearly. At some point, they usually skipped a few years or became "when its done" until cancellation or release.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They will finish Squadron 42 which will be a huge success
You really think so? The problem with crowdfunded games is that a chunk of your core audience has already paid for the game in advance, and with how long this thing has been in development and the stigma surrounding it I wouldn't be surprised if most people just stay away.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They will finish Squadron 42 which will be a huge success
You really think so? The problem with crowdfunded games is that a chunk of your core audience has already paid for the game in advance, and with how long this thing has been in development and the stigma surrounding it I wouldn't be surprised if most people just stay away.
Everyone with half a brain knows that this shit is a fucking death spiral. They burned trough most of the money and are the end of the rope. Even if they shit out SC,as you said most of the people have already bought the game and not many new ones will come to it. Servicing an MMO is pricey,i doubt that they will be able to keep it operating for more than a year.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
The only thing sillier than spending the last 6 years convinced that this is the year SC releases, is you guys who spent the last 6 years convinced that CIG is on the brink of bankruptcy. They aren't running out of money any time soon folks.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The only thing sillier than spending the last 6 years convinced that this is the year SC releases, is you guys who spent the last 6 years convinced that CIG is on the brink of bankruptcy. They aren't running out of money any time soon folks.
They haven't run out of money yet, but they most certainly will run out of money far before the game is even close to ready lol.

Deleted Member 22431

I will save this for future reference.

Deleted Member 22431

Star Citizen, I am disappointed
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-09-star-citizen-alpha-3-impressions#comments

Star Citizen is a bit like an Instagram account: what you see looks amazing but the reality is hollow. As it stands, at major milestone alpha 3.0, Star Citizen does not convince as a game.

(...)

Most shops don't have any interactive stock and so, like the hubs and the universe around them, they contribute to the feeling of touring a giant Hollywood set: all front and no substance.

(...)

Simply put, Star Citizen has a frame-rate issue so bad it ruins everything. There are glimpses of 60 frames per second when servers are fresh and populations low, but as soon as people join, the frame-rate plummets again. What it means is that you're unlikely to ever see more than 20 frames per second regardless of graphics settings, regardless of PC (within reason), and usually you'll hover around 15 frames per second.

Star Citizen Has a Huge Development Cost Problem
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Mat...tizen_Has_a_Huge_Development_Cost_Problem.php

Success is far from guaranteed: Star Citizen does not have enough cash to deliver the game they promised backers. Even under very optimistic assumptions, they need around $55 million more to finish the job. CIG must keep the sales up or they will be insolvent. This explains why SC releases a constant stream of new, previously-unannounced ships – they are trying to drive new sales. If there are major operational inefficiencies inside any of the CIG studios, or marketing and sales costs exceed $68 million, or returns reach significant levels, or future sales drop off prior to release, this game cannot be delivered as promised!

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Star Citizen, I am disappointed
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-09-star-citizen-alpha-3-impressions#comments

Star Citizen is a bit like an Instagram account: what you see looks amazing but the reality is hollow. As it stands, at major milestone alpha 3.0, Star Citizen does not convince as a game.

(...)

Most shops don't have any interactive stock and so, like the hubs and the universe around them, they contribute to the feeling of touring a giant Hollywood set: all front and no substance.

(...)

Simply put, Star Citizen has a frame-rate issue so bad it ruins everything. There are glimpses of 60 frames per second when servers are fresh and populations low, but as soon as people join, the frame-rate plummets again. What it means is that you're unlikely to ever see more than 20 frames per second regardless of graphics settings, regardless of PC (within reason), and usually you'll hover around 15 frames per second.

Star Citizen Has a Huge Development Cost Problem
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Mat...tizen_Has_a_Huge_Development_Cost_Problem.php

Success is far from guaranteed: Star Citizen does not have enough cash to deliver the game they promised backers. Even under very optimistic assumptions, they need around $55 million more to finish the job. CIG must keep the sales up or they will be insolvent. This explains why SC releases a constant stream of new, previously-unannounced ships – they are trying to drive new sales. If there are major operational inefficiencies inside any of the CIG studios, or marketing and sales costs exceed $68 million, or returns reach significant levels, or future sales drop off prior to release, this game cannot be delivered as promised!

Those are both over a year old bro, you're really reaching here. The criticisms of 3.0 were fair, it was a mess at launch, but it's in a pretty different state now.

Deleted Member 22431

Those are both over a year old bro, you're really reaching here. The criticisms of 3.0 were fair, it was a mess at launch, but it's in a pretty different state now.
The fact that old articles are still up-to-date shows that they are right. You reminded me of experts saying that there was no house bubble with demeanour and contempt. You don’t get it. CIG it's slowly going bust. It's inevitable. They are making ships and additional features to acquire the money they need to make the base game, but this means that they don’t have the resources to make the base game because they are all wasted on promotional videos and additional crap to milk even more money from the whales in order to make ends meet. It’s a vicious circle. Even delusional fanboys have a limit of tolerance. There are so many ships and delays. The failure of this thing will be the equivalent of the house bubble burst in crowdfunding.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The failure of this thing will be the equivalent of the house bubble burst in crowdfunding.
Nah,it was known that it will fail years ago. His retarded overpromising were a red flag by default. All that will be affected is the fanatics and the shitposters that will burst their asses off from laughing. Nobody really cares about the game outside of those two groups,journos will make a few bucks writing shit about it and that is it. That is like expecting for honour to have any industry impact if it died today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom