Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Angthoron

Arcane

Heh. Everything seems broken here...

Morkar Left

I'm sure you get some good moments between the performance issues, server disconnects and all the bugs to keep the dream alive. The dream.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Heh. Everything seems broken here...

Ok i am curious,is this uploaded as a joke or they do actually think that it was cool. They even put up action music for killing mangled AI drones. It is amazing how shit the controls and the UI are,press a button to let you use the mouse to press a button :retarded:
The game looks so unappealing when you spend 30 minutes fighting the broken mechanics to just take a ship. Also it remind me of the whole package delivery in this game,you get a few boxes that you have personally move around one by one. Can you imagine planets supplying themself is such manner??? You will have endless deliveries of retards bringing you three packs every few hours. The devs are truly retarded,almost as retarded as the fans.

Angthoron

Arcane
The view obstruction in the first part of the video, while flying what should probably be a fighter ship, is also amazing. What, half the screen is obstructed by dashboards, struts and whatever?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The view obstruction in the first part of the video, while flying what should probably be a fighter ship, is also amazing. What, half the screen is obstructed by dashboards, struts and whatever?
The whole game looks very old school in a bad way. It is like they took the worst part of the 90ties and 2000ts and put them in this game. I honestly can't see it selling well even if it is released. Most people will just search the youtube to see what the game looks like and will see this garbage,ending up with them walking away thinking that it is some garbage vaporware from 20 years ago.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
we're in the future and yet all the monitors are using 1980s Green Coloured CRTs.
The monitors on the dash are stupid when you realise there's a HUD that also facilitates this function the CRTs are pointless they should just remove the fucking things.
I'm pretty sure modern jet fighters show data on the HUD and on the instrument panel as well, because you can lose either of those systems, and it is good to have a backup.

Grokalibre

Savant
This scam relies on idiots buying ships, so of course when a shittizen fly his 300€ ship he needs to be able to look at the inside of the cockpit to feel better about said purchase. Don't look for any gameplay-related reason, that's not what this thing is about.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
This game looks awesome. I saw a video the other day which shows a guy taking off from a planet and going into space, walking around his ship, etc. all without loading, and all looks amazing. Also a video of a guy trying to do a space walk with his friend in the ship, and then they discover they aren't in orbit and he has to try to get back into the ship before they both crash. Cool game. I am waiting to see what happens with the space combat though because I don't want to play if it is just pew pew. I also don't want to play until they stop the regular wipes because it sounds like there are many ways you can progress and it takes a lot of time. I would rather do that when it will persist.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This game looks awesome. I saw a video the other day which shows a guy taking off from a planet and going into space, walking around his ship, etc. all without loading, and all looks amazing. Also a video of a guy trying to do a space walk with his friend in the ship, and then they discover they aren't in orbit and he has to try to get back into the ship before they both crash. Cool game. I am waiting to see what happens with the space combat though because I don't want to play if it is just pew pew. I also don't want to play until they stop the regular wipes because it sounds like there are many ways you can progress and it takes a lot of time. I would rather do that when it will persist.
Back in to your thread retard! Who let you out?!

Angthoron

Arcane
If you like walking simulators then maybe.

Angthoron

Arcane
Face it, the game is at least half done
No. Unless you count 0.0035 pre-alpha as halfway done. In which case it's a good time to invest. Buy an Idris. And if you're interested in buying a bridge, I've got a fine selection to choose from.

and you can already play it,
Define "playing". I linked a video with people trying to play it. Certainly a noble attempt, but I'd not call that playing. I mean, I remember "playing" STALKER pre-alpha and being wow'd by it but there wasn't really a game in that either.

it isn't vapor and it is constantly growing
Same goes for No Man's Sky.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Assuming you mean the ship from :42 onward, it's not a fighter. That's the biggest, clunkiest industrial ship in the game currently. Also they're trying to do something that isn't really implemented yet - boarding gameplay. It's technically sort of possible, which is cool, but it looks like they're exploiting some AI bugs to do it and there's no real point to doing it yet. That isn't a good example of playing the current alpha content as intended.

ZeniBot

Cipher
we're in the future and yet all the monitors are using 1980s Green Coloured CRTs.
The monitors on the dash are stupid when you realise there's a HUD that also facilitates this function the CRTs are pointless they should just remove the fucking things.
I'm pretty sure modern jet fighters show data on the HUD and on the instrument panel as well, because you can lose either of those systems, and it is good to have a backup.

My point is.
1. Why green when most systems on an aircraft these days support full colour
2. Why would these be hard mounted CRTs when in this current day we have transparent display panels, wouldn't it make more sense to see through them if your power goes out since it wouldn't disrupt your FoV for no good reason.
3. Most of the information the CRTs are showing aren't even essential to operations so I have to wonder why they're dedicated to a panel built into the ship.

Edit: Comparing these to other ships I think they're trying to suggest if you don't want you ship to look like ass you have to buy the more expensive ships as the more expensive ships have full colour on their panels. Same type of trick TV manufactures use to up-sell you.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
That's the aesthetic of Aegis ships meant to mimic the look of Weyland-Yutani and that ship from the video in particular is mimicing the Nostromo from Alien.

Face it, the game is at least half done
No. Unless you count 0.0035 pre-alpha as halfway done. In which case it's a good time to invest. Buy an Idris. And if you're interested in buying a bridge, I've got a fine selection to choose from.
You're the kind of person that thinks OpenMW is another 55 releases from 1.0 since it's 0.45 right?

AN4RCHID

Arcane

My point is.

1. Why green when most systems on an aircraft these days support full colour

2. Why would these be hard mounted CRTs when in this current day we have transparent display panels, wouldn't it make more sense to see through them if your power goes out since it wouldn't disrupt your FoV for no good reason.

3. Most of the information the CRTs are showing aren't even essential to operations so I have to wonder why they're dedicated to a panel built into the ship.

Edit: Comparing these to other ships I think they're trying to suggest if you don't want you ship to look like ass you have to buy the more expensive ships as the more expensive ships have full colour on their panels. Same type of trick TV manufactures use to up-sell you.

1. Different ship manufacturers have differently themed displays to give them more character. They aren't all the green.

2. Some of the ship HUDs are holographic. The industrial ship in the video is inspired by The Nostromo from Alien so it has a retro sci-fi feel.

3. You can pick what info displays on which screen, they aren't dedicated CRTs for specific info.

ZeniBot

Cipher
3. You can pick what info displays on which screen, they aren't dedicated CRTs for specific info.

Ok cool so they finally got that feature working. I was still under the impression it was broken and they had fallen back to having static monitors again. Remember I have no way to check this shit because I'm not a member of the Space Suicide Cult of Robberts.
To the other points we were trying to explain why people are going to think this is 90s inspired trash and I think if you're using Themeing excuses for why the ships should look old then realise that this is how the market will perceive your game.
I'm wondering if Robberts even bothered to see EVE Online and how negatively it was received by the mass market- the same could easily happen here as well. (ie: Eve's visuals looked dated when it first came out, ever since then CCP have just been shoving as many visual updates to the game as possible just to trick new customers into playing rather than improving the overall new player experience).

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Idk man, Halo used Aliens inspired sci-fi tech and it was recieved pretty well. EVE's mainstream perception was probably more due to the fact that it's ugly as sin.

Angthoron

Arcane
Assuming you mean the ship from :42 onward, it's not a fighter. That's the biggest, clunkiest industrial ship in the game currently.
Ah, so it's that thing. Well, that's still terrible because all the chunky industrial equipment generally has YUUUUGE windows (I mean, just look at an excavator, for example). Would think that in the year whatever it is either the windows would be still YUUUUUGE or they'd do that other thing and just use displays instead of windows. But eh, ah.

Also they're trying to do something that isn't really implemented yet - boarding gameplay. It's technically sort of possible, which is cool, but it looks like they're exploiting some AI bugs to do it and there's no real point to doing it yet.
Even before they get to the boarding part, there's a giant amount of issues - see ships bouncing off one another (a very common issue, in fact, it's so common it's not even an issue), dying on entry, dying to doors (all extremely common). The part where AI doesn't react to players, sitting inside their corpses etc, that I don't even mean.

That isn't a good example of playing the current alpha content as intended.
Yes and no, it's a good example of general state of things. There isn't much to actually do as intended that would constitute a game. Well, okay, no, in 2019 there is, we do have walking sims counting as games.

You're the kind of person that thinks OpenMW is another 55 releases from 1.0 since it's 0.45 right?[/QUOTE]

You're the kind of person that thinks OpenMW is another 55 releases from 1.0 since it's 0.45 right?
I'm the kind of person that remembers that the game is labelled a pre-alpha for the 7th year of its fundraising, while having had plans to release in 2014. I'm also the kind of person that looks at the content in the game and the content promised and goes "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well, I don't think I'll be Answering the Call in 2016". Btw, good on them to have finally removed that date, was starting to look awkward.

You, on the other hand, are a sort of person that really wishes his hobby wasn't represented by a bunch of smoldering husks and gets too hopeful way too often, right?

Idk man, Halo used Aliens inspired sci-fi tech and it was recieved pretty well. EVE's mainstream perception was probably more due to the fact that it's ugly as sin.
Problem is, in Alien you see that tech for what, 1 hour maybe? It's just scene-building in a movie. And in Halo, how much do you look at that?

In SC, you're supposed to use this type of thing for hundreds of hours. Thousands, maybe. It's supposed to be an MMO. Imagine interacting with GW2 while half the screen is covered with random shit. Imagine TESO or Black Desert or TERA or Planetfall with your view being blocked. It's meant to be a game where stuff happens in real time. That's gonna be terrible.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The whole game looks very old school in a bad way. It is like they took the worst part of the 90ties and 2000ts and put them in this game. I honestly can't see it selling well even if it is released. Most people will just search the youtube to see what the game looks like and will see this garbage,ending up with them walking away thinking that it is some garbage vaporware from 20 years ago.

It won't need to sell well once released.

Firstly, it won't be released. Second, it's already sold SUPER well, even without existing.

Also, it IS some vaporware from, well maybe not 20 years ago yet but it's getting up there.

It's a scam, wrapped in a con, inside a hoodwink.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
The part where AI doesn't react to players, sitting inside their corpses etc, that I don't even mean.
Yeah, shipboard AI doesn't leave their seats at this point. But the AI bug I was talking about is where they confuse the pilot AI into staying immobile so they can board. It can happen when you fly very close to enemies for a while, which I assume is why they keep ramming the ships together like mongoloids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom