Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Star Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Morgoth, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Alexander DeLarge Learned

Alexander DeLarge
    That's the aesthetic of Aegis ships meant to mimic the look of Weyland-Yutani and that ship from the video in particular is mimicing the Nostromo from Alien.

You're the kind of person that thinks OpenMW is another 55 releases from 1.0 since it's 0.45 right?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    1. Different ship manufacturers have differently themed displays to give them more character. They aren't all the green.

2. Some of the ship HUDs are holographic. The industrial ship in the video is inspired by The Nostromo from Alien so it has a retro sci-fi feel.

3. You can pick what info displays on which screen, they aren't dedicated CRTs for specific info.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ZeniBot Savant

ZeniBot
    Ok cool so they finally got that feature working. I was still under the impression it was broken and they had fallen back to having static monitors again. Remember I have no way to check this shit because I'm not a member of the Space Suicide Cult of Robberts.
    To the other points we were trying to explain why people are going to think this is 90s inspired trash and I think if you're using Themeing excuses for why the ships should look old then realise that this is how the market will perceive your game.
    I'm wondering if Robberts even bothered to see EVE Online and how negatively it was received by the mass market- the same could easily happen here as well. (ie: Eve's visuals looked dated when it first came out, ever since then CCP have just been shoving as many visual updates to the game as possible just to trick new customers into playing rather than improving the overall new player experience).

^ Top  
  4. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Idk man, Halo used Aliens inspired sci-fi tech and it was recieved pretty well. EVE's mainstream perception was probably more due to the fact that it's ugly as sin.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Ah, so it's that thing. Well, that's still terrible because all the chunky industrial equipment generally has YUUUUGE windows (I mean, just look at an excavator, for example). Would think that in the year whatever it is either the windows would be still YUUUUUGE or they'd do that other thing and just use displays instead of windows. But eh, ah.

Even before they get to the boarding part, there's a giant amount of issues - see ships bouncing off one another (a very common issue, in fact, it's so common it's not even an issue), dying on entry, dying to doors (all extremely common). The part where AI doesn't react to players, sitting inside their corpses etc, that I don't even mean.

Yes and no, it's a good example of general state of things. There isn't much to actually do as intended that would constitute a game. Well, okay, no, in 2019 there is, we do have walking sims counting as games.

You're the kind of person that thinks OpenMW is another 55 releases from 1.0 since it's 0.45 right?[/QUOTE]

I'm the kind of person that remembers that the game is labelled a pre-alpha for the 7th year of its fundraising, while having had plans to release in 2014. I'm also the kind of person that looks at the content in the game and the content promised and goes "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well, I don't think I'll be Answering the Call in 2016". Btw, good on them to have finally removed that date, was starting to look awkward.

You, on the other hand, are a sort of person that really wishes his hobby wasn't represented by a bunch of smoldering husks and gets too hopeful way too often, right?

Problem is, in Alien you see that tech for what, 1 hour maybe? It's just scene-building in a movie. And in Halo, how much do you look at that?

In SC, you're supposed to use this type of thing for hundreds of hours. Thousands, maybe. It's supposed to be an MMO. Imagine interacting with GW2 while half the screen is covered with random shit. Imagine TESO or Black Desert or TERA or Planetfall with your view being blocked. It's meant to be a game where stuff happens in real time. That's gonna be terrible.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zarniwoop Destiny Cleanser Patron

Zarniwoop
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It won't need to sell well once released.

Firstly, it won't be released. Second, it's already sold SUPER well, even without existing.

Also, it IS some vaporware from, well maybe not 20 years ago yet but it's getting up there.

It's a scam, wrapped in a con, inside a hoodwink.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. anvi Liturgist Village Idiot

anvi
    There are legit concerns with this game, I wish people would get past the lulz its vapor thing to pay attention to everything else.

• Funny x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat

• Funny Funny x 8
    • incline incline x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Yeah, shipboard AI doesn't leave their seats at this point. But the AI bug I was talking about is where they confuse the pilot AI into staying immobile so they can board. It can happen when you fly very close to enemies for a while, which I assume is why they keep ramming the ships together like mongoloids.

^ Top  
  10. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Will you kill yourself if the company files for bankruptcy and leave the game as dead?

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Ah, cool, I did wonder what that was all about. The bouncing is pretty amusing (and sad) to watch just on its own though, really wonder when/if the collisions will be properly implemented. It's a pretty huge task the way they decided to make it, though, so yeah, hm.

^ Top  
  12. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    It would be much funnier if they open-sourced it. The size of the absurdly large textures alone would probably kill github :lol:
    And yes, I do think they'd upload their textures to their code repo ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Nah,that will require a smudge of intelligence on their part. Most likely they will call it quits and just say that this is released game and then file for bankruptcy in a few months later,could also be sue by some government for tax evasion or scamming people or some shit like that. Maybe some of it will be leaked but i doubt it will go full open source.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ZeniBot Savant

ZeniBot
    Someone needs to After Effects "Cry Engine" over the top of the toolbox "This is what they used to build the spaceships *bursts into laughter*"

^ Top  
  15. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Lols aside, I recall some people actually extracted the models/textures from one of the builds and dropped them into some other engine (or a different CE branch). That's a while ago now. And yeah, the amount of memory those models ate was humongous.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Oh lol.

[​IMG]

Buy some shipskins!

Delicious space gravity.

But hey:
    [​IMG]

Buy a space bike concept!

• Funny Funny x 19
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Keshik Arcane

Keshik
    And I thought Mass Effect fans were strange

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    They are.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    But not strange and rich.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Hello friends i am david gaider and today i am launching my kickstarter and fundraising site for Large Result, spiritual successor to your childhood favorite, Mass Effect. We're gonna make it a living breathing universe with true ai and shit and you can help make this dream a reality!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    Just because we like blue tits?!?! C'mon dude, fuck off =(

I have feelins u know =/

• Funny x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Nah scafander lady was better. Three finger footjob for the win....the face was very ugly tho.

^ Top  
  23. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    Enjoy getting your blowjobs trough an emergency induction port.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Better than fucking alien shemale. Enjoy getting all the galactic STDs.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    You'll get R/G/B space-aids regardless at the end.

Also, they ain't shemales, they don't have dicks.

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)