Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Star Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Morgoth, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Jigawatt Arcane

Jigawatt
    [​IMG]

• Brofist x 7
    • Funny x 6
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    What's the problem? It will be funny in 4 years time when the craven apologists start to suggest that a 20 year development cycle is the norm and SC is only half way there!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    lol Warcraft 1 was released in 1995. Did Perkel just suggest WOW was in development since then?

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Steamboat Willie Learned

Steamboat Willie
    Well WoW is written in C++ and Bjarne Stroustrup started work on C++ in 1979 so actually WoW development goes back 25 years. Star Citizen is completely normal guize.

• Funny x 10
    • nice x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Sure with WoW i was slightly off base but 5 years with established top tier studio is pretty fast for MMO. For most of MMOs 5 years is minimum and there are cases reaching 10 years which was my point.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, a longer development time than WoW. More expensive than fucking SWTOR. And look at what it's produced. And you're trying to sell this as perfectly normal for the genre. Dude, do you really expect anyone to buy that? Even if you think the game is worth what people have paid into it, or that it will eventually be a finished product, you can't sit here and tell us that this is typical for the industry. You just can't, and expect to be taken seriously.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    They are making SQ42 at the same time which eats up most of their work which you forgot again.
    Secondly you again ignore that they didn't have top tier studio from start but they were like 3 people back when they started. It took them a year to finish crowdfunding campaign and get to 100+ people in 2 years.

• Funny x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    Me: Star Citizen is special! You can't compare it to any other video game out there!

Also me: Cyberpunk also took forever developing and you don't complain about it!

"mimimimi but cyberpunk isn't crowdfunded", god damnit, what did I told you? Star Citizen is special, stop comparing it to other video games!

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I don't know why you pour so much time and Sisyphean effort when you could continue beta-testing X4 Foundations.
    Are you a masochist?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    "so much time" 3-4 posts in last half a year or so

:lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Alexander DeLarge Learned

Alexander DeLarge
    You know what will be even funnier? Seeing everyone on /r/starcitizen_refunds buy the game again at a higher price.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

The funniest thing to me about this isn't even that this retard (and other retards like him) are wrong about this. The funniest thing is that they're comparing actually finished games that were entirely playable for 100s of hours of content and essentially feature complete in their Beta phase in much less time than "Star Citizen" and actually had things like "gameplay" (with things like enemies and various interacting systems), "quests", "world building" and "content" and were playable by millions of people upon release, with their Alpha Demo where they can move an object resembling a spaceship across axes in a space-like environment and some procedurally generated "planets" (that part is relatively easy and many people have done it before, it doesn't mean that you've got a game though) without anything much on them aside from walking around and believe that "Star Citizen" with its 7+ years of development comes out of that comparison looking somehow favorable. :lol: Hey at least they implemented the Macrotransaction store early on, so at least something works!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    So, who's fault is that? They promised SP and MP in the one game, then had to carve it up into bits whereby they still are barely making any progress anywhere....

Don't tell me at this point they were a 3 man studio...Fuck, CDPR was a 2 man start up as well at one point. It's facetious to defend a studio based on the fact that at inception it was created by a handful of people.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    If anyone compares WoW to this pre-alpha garbage,he shouldn't be allowed to have free access to his money.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    Has Star Citizen reached meme levels yet?

• Yes Yes x 6
    • No No x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. RRRrrr Arcane

RRRrrr
    lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    "Elite Dangerous, Dual Universe and many other games were possible also thanks to the massive success of Star Citizen crowdfunding campaign and charisma of Chris Roberts."

Is this the real life? ~ ♫
    Is this just fantasy? ~ ♪
    Caught in a landslide ~♫
    No escape from reality ~ ♪
    Open your eyes ~♫

I mean I get it, people are excited for what this game might become, they want to support it to eventually come to fruition... but fucking hell people, stop doing acid while you wait, it might feel like it, but the progress won't go any faster.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lukrame Learned

Lukrame
    I wish I could scam people as good as chris robbers

• Agree x 6
    • Funny x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    Someone with disposable income to drop on ships can do what they want. What is this, proletariat rage against the decadence of the bourgeoisie?

• Funny x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    You'd want to be in his position when this house of cards comes falling down?

• No No x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. GreyViper Arbiter

GreyViper
    Hey at least people who still have something invested can be part of the class action lawsuit when it crashes and burns. So it's not quite for nothing. :D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    I saw a cool thing about this game. But it still seems a long way off and I'm not convinced they will get the most important thing right.

^ Top  
  23. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    Post mortem suits never yield anything for non-banks. Get in line.

Who has played this much? I probably have 70 hours in over the last couple of years. It is so far from finished, but it also can produce pretty unique moments for sci-fi fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    I haven't played it but I watched a lot of videos of other people playing it. It is pretty amazing, but I am starting to see that the "ZOMG SKOPE KREEP!!!1!" comments are probably correct. What good is an FPS mini game, and huge cities, and walking around virtual planets and space stations and cantinas and all sorts of shit if there isn't any decent gameplay. It is like a walking simulator but in space. But it could be the greatest game ever if they can get some good space combat and then tie it all together in some sort of MMO-ish type way. I'll check back in 2025.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Aemar Learned

Aemar

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)