Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Morkar Left

The BBC has discovered Star Citizen:

The guy is getting fatter and fatter, i guess it's because of abundance of money.
Compare the BBC video with this
2435385-cigc_chrisroberts.jpg

iu

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They really need someone to handle their Barista machine and bring coffee to employees?
Lots of tech companies do this. Would you rather pay some dude ten bucks an hour to make the coffee or would you rather have the programmer you're paying $85/hr to do it themselves?
The second,and cut it from his free time and give him some shit to finish after end time :). Nerds should be abused and forced to work over over time and then cut their money for some dumb reason.
:neveraskedforthis:

Norfleet

Lots of tech companies do this. Would you rather pay some dude ten bucks an hour to make the coffee or would you rather have the programmer you're paying $85/hr to do it themselves?
I dunno about you, but I don't trust food or drink that has a chain of custody that has passed outside of my view. That's a good way to get poisoned. That's one more reason I murder my own food.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So will it ever be released?

If you listen to them, their official position seems to be that it already has been released, because people can already play it ("Star Citizen is out. (...) This game goes out every three months", "Compared to any other game, we got at least as much as they have").

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist

If you listen to them, their official position seems to be that it already has been released, because people can already play it ("Star Citizen is out. (...) This game goes out every three months", "Compared to any other game, we got at least as much as they have").

I was talking about this recently in another forum, and that's false, the official position is that SC is sort of like Schrodinger’s cat, it's both released and not-released, depending on what's convenient at the time.

If the topic at hand is the space ship pay-2-win aspects of the game, they will tell you that SC still stop selling space ships at release...

If it's about previously missed release dates, then SC was already released years ago!

If you compare it to other video games such as ED, SC supposedly as much as, if not more content than ED, and it's not even released yet!

Morkar Left

I was talking about this recently in another forum, and that's false, the official position is that SC is sort of like Schrodinger’s cat, it's both released and not-released, depending on what's convenient at the time.

If the topic at hand is the space ship pay-2-win aspects of the game, they will tell you that SC still stop selling space ships at release...

If it's about previously missed release dates, then SC was already released years ago!

If you compare it to other video games such as ED, SC supposedly as much as, if not more content than ED, and it's not even released yet!

You can't play the game without encountering bugs. There's still only one star system and after each patch you have to start from scratch (except the ships you bought with real money). The ai is till braindead. Literally, they don't move in fps.
Some things look promising, it's already very athmospheric at times and places and it has potential. Would it released as imagined it would define online play / mmos new. But for that it's still years away.
If they have a functioning ai, a persistent universe (even if only one starsystem) and normal gameplay works without bugs it would be worth "buying" already in alpha (if you have good hardware). Untill that isn't there, it's not "released" in any way.

Myobi

Liturgist
You can't play the game without encountering bugs. There's still only one star system and after each patch you have to start from scratch (except the ships you bought with real money). The ai is till braindead. Literally, they don't move in fps.

Some things look promising, it's already very athmospheric at times and places and it has potential. Would it released as imagined it would define online play / mmos new. But for that it's still years away.

If they have a functioning ai, a persistent universe (even if only one starsystem) and normal gameplay works without bugs it would be worth "buying" already in alpha (if you have good hardware). Untill that isn't there, it's not "released" in any way.

It is released in some way, in a pre-alpha version kind of way:

pre-alpha-version. Noun. (plural pre-alpha versions) A development status given to a program or application that is usually not feature complete, and is not usually released to the public. Developers are usually still deciding on what features the program should have at this status.

The problem is that a lot of people will purposely confuse that with what generally people mean by "release", as in “base release”. If you for example google World of Warcraft “release” date, you sure as fuck won’t get the one for the fucking BETA phase, neither you see video game companies announcing BETA phases for their games as “Oh yeah, we are releasing X game on Y date!”.

It’s just a slimy ass way that people came up with to deflect “dem hate”.

Morkar Left

It is released in some way, in a pre-alpha version kind of way:

pre-alpha-version. Noun. (plural pre-alpha versions) A development status given to a program or application that is usually not feature complete, and is not usually released to the public. Developers are usually still deciding on what features the program should have at this status.

The problem is that a lot of people will purposely confuse that with what generally people mean by "release", as in “base release”. If you for example google World of Warcraft “release” date, you sure as fuck won’t get the one for the fucking BETA phase, neither you see video game companies announcing BETA phases for their games as “Oh yeah, we are releasing X game on Y date!”.

It’s just a slimy ass way that people came up with to deflect “dem hate”.

Ofc they want people to get interested in the game and ofc they want you "pledging" the game. Because that's their mainsource of money right now. But what people really interests is if the game is playable for the sake of playing and enjoying what's there. My answer is no. It's called alpha and that's for a reason. If you are just interested in sightseeing for pretty pictures and tech curious it might still be worth the money for you.

But my point is they try to make this a functioning game, they have cool stuff in there and it's not a scam. But I'm sceptical that they can deliver what they have in mind.

I'm not worried about the content. If the game is technically complete even one star system at the start would be enough to have a lot of fun and they could bring in more after release. Even procedural universe wouldn't be out of question. The game has enough possibilities to encourage spending money on a regular basis even without selling ships for a long time. and even if they would continue selling ships, wtf cares really? Because I think player skill will be a huge factor with the first person parts.

I'm worried that they might be still years away to have bugfree gameplay and that they might not be able to get the game bugfree. My guess is that S42 would demonstrate if SC can work on a technical basis, at least the non-online critical tech. And S42 should have been released already a long time ago. Even being optimistic I doubt it will come in 2020. Maybe End of 2021 is my guess. And S42 will serve as a moneybridge for the SC development. Maybe end of 2022 will see a SC that is something like a stable build for people to enjoy. But it still won't be beta-Status. We're currently at alpha 3.8. How long does an alpha state last? Around one year from one full number to the next?

ADL

Prophet
after each patch you have to start from scratch (except the ships you bought with real money)
The intent of 3.8's infrastructure is to ensure wipes are no longer as frequent between the quarterly releases. We'll see how it pans out in reality but the wipes should be much less frequent.

Morkar Left

after each patch you have to start from scratch (except the ships you bought with real money)
The intent of 3.8's infrastructure is to ensure wipes are no longer as frequent between the quarterly releases. We'll see how it pans out in reality but the wipes should be much less frequent.

Yeah but it only becomes remotely interesting when at least your money and ship gets permanently stored. Plus the whole AI thing is an issue. But I'm mostly worried about the frequent bugs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom