Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Jigawatt

Arcane
Because it is really fucking hard and new like most of SC things when it comes to tech.

Basically once they implement it player instancing will be limited only by game designers not by technology. So bigger ship will have its own server and if it will reach some huge number of players it will have its second or third server all dynamically done without any problem for player who won't notice people being de-spawned and so on. So space battles will be limited mostly by hardware of players who will have to render shitload of ships.
Right now servers are static.

It really isn't that hard though - at least it shouldn't be for people who claim to be experts in networking. I wouldn't call what you're describing a solved problem but it's had a lot of thought put into it for years - as an example see this documentation from Unreal

Relevancy
A level can be huge, and at any time a player can only see a small fraction of the Actors in that level. Most of the other Actors in the level are not visible, are not audible, and have no significant effect on the player. The set of Actors that a server deems are visible to or capable of affecting a client are deemed the relevant set of Actors for that client. A significant bandwidth optimization in Unreal's network code is that the server only tells clients about Actors in that client's relevant set.

Unreal applies the following rules (in order) in determining the relevant set of Actors for a player. These tests are implemented in the virtual function AActor::IsNetRelevantFor().

... rules follow

Seems to map pretty nicely to what you're describing, and it's been that way since at least UDK3 which was 15 years ago.

In SC it is the other way. Each character has a server of its own and if you go somewhere you still have your own server following you. When you meet someone then this is where your server or his server takes your instance or his and combine (meshing) on the fly. This frees up one server leaving both player using only one server.

This too doesn't seem that complicated, and there are off the shelf solutions to it. Off the top of my head I could see something like Firebase used to orchestrate this 'meshing' (bullshit term btw) and then traditional in-engine networking once the right connections are made. For a small team it's a < 1 month job to roll out something usable, I'd be embarrassed to estimate higher than 3 months.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I see Perkel is still repeating the sc cultist copypasta like a good little sheep: „gamedev is hard“, „they’re attempting something never done before“, „actual development started [current year] - 2“, „they’ve been building the tools, they will start churning out content any day now“.

lol. This project is so utterly fucked beyond belief. Recently, they’ve scraped the entire Squadron 42 roadmap after failing to update it for 9 months. They still refuse to show any new footage from the game because they want to „avoid spoilers“. What a disaster.

Myobi

Liturgist
lol. This project is so utterly fucked beyond belief. Recently, they’ve scraped the entire Squadron 42 roadmap after failing to update it for 9 months. They still refuse to show any new footage from the game because they want to „avoid spoilers“. What a disaster.

.... but... but.... but.... the corona!

Danikas

Arcane
They still refuse to show any new footage from the game because they want to „avoid spoilers“. What a disaster.
Dumpster-Fire.jpg

Myobi

Liturgist
You know, at some point you just wonder... how can these people just keep throwing thousands and thousands of dollars at a project like this... then you start reading stuff like this:

Sem-T-tulo.jpg

… and suddenly everything starts making sense.

I fucking love fandoms.

New Babbage is fucking glorious and the survival mechanics are awesome without being annoying. Just did my first prison break.

How you break out of prison ?
It's the one thing I don't like about this new update. The prisons themselves are interesting. But there is such a specific way of breaking out. You need to find this broken fan and crawl through the hole. Then go through a maze of caves with brightly lit torches that tell you exactly how to get out. The one good thing is that you need to arrange your own transport off-world once you're out. That could lead to interesting dynamic gameplay. But the actual prison break is boring. I was expecting a chance to start a riot at least.

Perkel

Arcane
Well until they get AI working for you then i don't see how you can organize anything really. From what i know only thing they said about AI helping you was that you would be able to hire AI crew not AI captains that will fly with you.
I think game will have same problem as Elite but with more things to do after first 10 hours.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New Babbage is fucking glorious and the survival mechanics are awesome without being annoying. Just did my first prison break.

How you break out of prison ?
It's the one thing I don't like about this new update. The prisons themselves are interesting. But there is such a specific way of breaking out. You need to find this broken fan and crawl through the hole. Then go through a maze of caves with brightly lit torches that tell you exactly how to get out. The one good thing is that you need to arrange your own transport off-world once you're out. That could lead to interesting dynamic gameplay. But the actual prison break is boring. I was expecting a chance to start a riot at least.
If it's boring the first time, imagine how fun it will be to play for the 20th time!

Norfleet

More impotantly, imagine how nonexistent of a penalty it will be if you can just consistently escape at whim following the same rote script every time. I am not certain they've actually thought this through from a gamer's perspective. Developers frequently seem to think like normies and not like real gamers: They never bother to tihnk "What exactly happens if someone minmaxes this?".

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More impotantly, imagine how nonexistent of a penalty it will be if you can just consistently escape at whim following the same rote script every time. I am not certain they've actually thought this through from a gamer's perspective. Developers frequently seem to think like normies and not like real gamers: They never bother to tihnk "What exactly happens if someone minmaxes this?".
I could actually see this becoming a revenue stream - just sell something like "Prison Break Standby Team" that would bust you out without going through the grind. Would go great with all the jpgs people are buying!

agris

Arcane
Patron
The posts in this thread read a lot like the gameplay impressions and suggestions in the That Which Sleeps thread..

Myobi

Liturgist
The posts in this thread read a lot like the gameplay impressions and suggestions in the That Which Sleeps thread..

It sounds like one of those “omg so cool and realistic!”.

Then you go trough it a couple of times, and you realize is just yet another chore that you’ll be rushing through to get back to whatever you actually want to do.

ADL

Prophet
They've said they're going to expand on the prison system obviously so I imagine it being much more involved and interesting similar to Face of Mankind... Eventually.

Deleted Member 22431

Netcode delayed again.

I'm in constant awe of how incompetent the programmers on this project are. It's one thing for the top levels of management to want to stall (why finish a game and open up to disappointment when you can make so much cash selling jpgs?) but what on earth are these code monkeys doing? Maybe they're in on it and just cashing paychecks while shitposting and occasionally alt-tabbing back to the IDE but I don't know. Fresh grads in way over their head maybe?
Nah, I think they are software-ninja heroes. They work for a perfectionist loon who wants them to change everything on a daily basis. You see, in the mind of Chris Roberts, managing a 600 million and an I-want-to-cry-with-this-engine project is like developing a 16-bit game. He really believes that his dictatorial-graphic whore mentality is a pursuit of excellence. These guys are heroes. Lesser mortals wouldn't have even a demo to show for. He is fucking them on a daily business and they are getting shit done. I suspect they are doing all their work at night when Roberts is sleeping.

Norfleet

I suspect you're overestimating how much work they're actually doing, and they're probably just putting in minimum effort and collecting a paycheck.

Fishy

Savant
They've said they're going to expand on the prison system

Amongst other things, they also said there'd be 100 star systems, 1000 players per instance, that it wouldn't be pay-to-win, that the (Crytek made) kickstarter demo was actually the current playable state of the game, that CR had fully played the 100%-complete-legit SQ42 campaign, that everything would be handcrafted because proc gen is only for soulless bad games, that you wouldn't land on planets, that there'd be a salvage career, that you'd be able to fly your Banu Merchantman, and that it'd release in 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 eventually.

LNORyZL.jpg

Norfleet

I also remember when they taunted the Call of Duty guys, so the Call of Duty guys went and made a game just to spite them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom