Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
2700 usd you can get a used car for that or get 45 full priced games that are actually worth playing
clip_image001.gif

Can somebody explain to me the thought process of people who buy this shit?

Same kind of audience that spends $1000s on flight rigs.

Not even close, you are clearly not fully aware of the level of autism involved in this.

You spend 1,000$ on a flight rig, a racing rig, a VR rig, whatever, it’s yours, you can use it when you want to, you can sell it, you give it away, you can borrow it, you name it.

In SC case you are paying 1,000$ for a virtual item, it doesn’t really exist, you won’t legally own it, your game account and everything in it isn’t yours, you just paid for access to it, selling it may result in the account’s termination, all this for a video game that isn’t, and might never be finished, hosted in a server that will eventually be shut down at some point in time.

I understand people who wanting to support video game developers, crowdfunding gave life to many great fucking games, but throwing thousands and thousands of dollars to a fat mother fucker that is buying mansions and spending vacations on a fucking yacht is beyond retarded.

Danikas

Arcane
In SC case you are paying 1,000$ for a virtual item
If only it was 1k usd brother if only....
star-citizen-legatus-pack-1.jpg

This has to be some sort of money laundering scheme I cant fucking believe that people are throwing this amount of money on jpegs.

Btw. Gotta love their brilliant writing: "Every noteworthy manufacturer of note" :?

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I understand people who wanting to support video game developers, crowdfunding gave life to many great fucking games, but throwing thousands and thousands of dollars to a fat mother fucker that is buying mansions and spending vacations on a fucking yacht is beyond retarded.

This is not new though and sometimes the very people you scam literally beg to be scammed.

I don't know who is even aware of this, but I still have to think of the West Racing debacle. Around 2003 two twin brothers had made some early footage of a new racing simulation (Racing Legends) and people went completely insane, even bought teddy bears and mugs on their shop to support them.

At some point the mood went from excited to negative when they had spent 1 year making 3d models of the Team Lotus bus and several interior screenshots showing engine internals like cylinders or conrods (which you are not likely to see in a racing sim). They got very butthurt, took the site offline with a hasty written "under contruction" page (the -s was really missing). Later they put it back online but never made another update. 10 years after they made their last update, people were still posting in the forum "I wait it" threads, until some years ago until I eventually lost track of this disaster because the forum did no longer even show up in google. But I'm sure if it is still online there are people still posting in it.

I think if they had been there at the right moment like Roberts, they would have probably raised 10-20 million dollar and been able to hire staff to keep their website online and supplied with renders for another 20 years.

If you are a good con artist such a thing takes on a life of its own in in the mind of the people you scam. And I'm certain that SC fans actually still believe they will eventually see groundbreaking new technology when in fact it is just a gigantic clusterfuck. They will probably still believe this in 15 years when Star Citizen announces the 2nd rewrite of the core engine.

Ninjerk

Arcane

This is not new though and sometimes the very people you scam literally beg to be scammed.

I don't know who is even aware of this, but I still have to think of the West Racing debacle. Around 2003 two twin brothers had made some early footage of a new racing simulation (Racing Legends) and people went completely insane, even bought teddy bears and mugs on their shop to support them.

At some point the mood went from excited to negative when they had spent 1 year making 3d models of the Team Lotus bus and several interior screenshots showing engine internals like cylinders or conrods (which you are not likely to see in a racing sim). They got very butthurt, took the site offline with a hasty written "under contruction" page (the -s was really missing). Later they put it back online but never made another update. 10 years after they made their last update, people were still posting in the forum "I wait it" threads, until some years ago until I eventually lost track of this disaster because the forum did no longer even show up in google. But I'm sure if it is still online there are people still posting in it.

I think if they had been there at the right moment like Roberts, they would have probably raised 10-20 million dollar and been able to hire staff to keep their website online and supplied with renders for another 20 years.

If you are a good con artist such a thing takes on a life of its own in in the mind of the people you scam. And I'm certain that SC fans actually still believe they will eventually see groundbreaking new technology when in fact it is just a gigantic clusterfuck. They will probably still believe this in 15 years when Star Citizen announces the 2nd rewrite of the core engine.
The book 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene deals a lot with scammers and the scammed and it's really hard to come away with sympathy for the people who are scammed unless they are children or so old their mind doesn't work properly.

Myobi

Liturgist

Feel free to check Trials of Ascension & Greed Monger thread for free giggles on shit like that.

... or the most recent one, Day of Dragons.

I've always said Star Citizen is two to three years behind SQ42's first release so 2023/2024

Aaaah "always". I'm glad you did not join before 2014.

Also not pictured is "confirmation" that they're porting Theaters of War to consoles which basically confirms SQ42 and probably Star Citizen's release on next gen consoles. Why not?

Hey wasn't the game supposed to be the showcase of what PCs are capable of?

Those consoles are better than 97% of the "PC master race" in my Discord server.

They are what now? 97% are better? In your Discord server could mean anything. Is that Low Spec Gaming Discord server? Or you mean to tell me that all those people trying to run Star Citizen (and uploading videos to youtube) have just terrible PCs?

I don't know man. No offense but this looks like THE DEFINITION OF COPE.

Burning Bridges

2700 usd you can get a used car for that or get 45 full priced games that are actually worth playing :lol:
Can somebody explain to me the thought process of people who buy this shit?

Same kind of audience that spends $1000s on flight rigs. RSI struck gold when they opted for full cockpit and "kind of" simulation which crosses with section of people who really fucking love space sims but not much else, it is not huge crowd but usually those are older guys who have money to spare. I kind of orbit around this but in driving space. I spend shitload of money on racing games and my racing rig (full wheel, pedals, stick, seat) and i plan to add to that in year or two some buttkicker for some motion seat play.

People do whatever they want with their cash, but imho there's a fundamental difference between *working* accessories for *fully-featured* *released* sims and JPGs of pretend ships one may get to possibly fly some day. Flight Sim enthusiasts don't pay for JPGs of a simpit, they pay to get the shit delivered to their door 3 days later and it better work as advertised.

However, maybe I'm wrong, in which case, look at this baby:
rb1_1800-1_600x600_crop_center.jpg

Send me $10,000 through Paypal and the JPG is yours RIGHT NOW, and as soon as I complete the physical version, I'll send it to you, promised. For an extra tenner a month I can even send you updates and a roadmap.

I would spend it for something real than nonexisting ships.

For example for only 37,688 € you get a complete 737 cockpit (if you also want an Airbus that's another 40K)

https://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/complete-b737-cockpit-p-583.html

20161117_132724.jpg

ADL

Prophet
They are what now? 97% are better? In your Discord server could mean anything. Is that Low Spec Gaming Discord server? Or you mean to tell me that all those people trying to run Star Citizen (and uploading videos to youtube) have just terrible PCs?
The new consoles are all running 8 core Ryzen processors, RTX2070-equivalent GPUs and NVMe drives by default. Feel free to make the argument that the "average" PC gamer has that. At this point I'm writing off anyone that bitches about Star Citizen's performance as either a brainlet that installed on a mechanical hard drive, someone that desperately needs to upgrade the rest of their shit or someone who is willfully ignorant.

Mid-range PC that can be bought for roughly $500 today (I've seen RX580 8GB variants go for less than $120)

Next gen console equivalent (running a GPU that costs $400 alone)

Last edited:
That is rather weak counter-argument because given its time of development it should run much better. But okay. I am used to Arma and shitty performance (which can be 60+FPS btw.). But there is like whole universe of content and gameplay loops/depth compared to small puddles of gameplay here and there in Star Citizen. So even though you chose to focus on performance from my reply, it was still rather weak. It is not as good as you make it out to be. Where is the gameplay?

Higher Game

Arcane
The weird thing is that everyone could be happy if Star Citizen split into the autism version and the "normie" version. The game is essentially shovel ready for a reasonable release date, but both sides of the autism circle jerk, hardcore fans and developers, are dragging it down for "normies". A "casual" spinoff in this case is actually perfectly acceptable. :argh:

I bet the Chinese would wrap it up just fine.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The weird thing is that everyone could be happy if Star Citizen split into the autism version and the "normie" version. The game is essentially shovel ready for a reasonable release date, but both sides of the autism circle jerk, hardcore fans and developers, are dragging it down for "normies". A "casual" spinoff in this case is actually perfectly acceptable. :argh:

I considered the Squadron game the part for people who have a life outside playing an MMO.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

I considered the Squadron game the part for people who have a life outside playing an MMO.

You're in luck, Squadron was already finished back in 2016 and just needs some little polish!

Oh wait-..

ADL

Prophet

The next time you post a video supposedly defending a particular graphics engine's framerate you may want to choose one that doesn't show it running in the mid-20's fps and lower.

Just sayin'.

Minor dips into the 20s/max settings years prior to a 1.0 release running on a $100 GPU is perfectly acceptable.

It's a goddamn shame we can't get PC games that have future proofed graphical settings like Crysis anymore because brainlets on 2080Tis can't handle their FPS counters dipping below 60. Same thing happened with Red Dead Redemption 2 being labeled a "bad port" because they got mad when they went into the advanced graphics settings and enabled all the settings that weren't meant to be ran on current hardware.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Same thing happened with Red Dead Redemption 2 being labeled a "bad port" because they got mad when they went into the advanced graphics settings and enabled all the settings that weren't meant to be ran on current hardware.
RdR2 was labelled a bad port because of the horrendous console UI and messed up kb&m implementation...

Minor dips into the 20s/max settings years prior to a 1.0 release running on a $100 GPU is perfectly acceptable.
That's true, but that is only GPU and someone basically going through space alone.
Afaik, the real problems start to arise when there is lots of stuff going on, many other players, etc.

More of a CPU than a GPU problem.

But to be fair, SC was never aimed at low or even mid-range PCs, so mediocre setups delivering mediocre performance is pretty much par for the course.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

The next time you post a video supposedly defending a particular graphics engine's framerate you may want to choose one that doesn't show it running in the mid-20's fps and lower.

Just sayin'.

It's a goddamn shame we can't get PC games that have future proofed graphical settings like Crysis anymore because brainlets on 2080Tis can't handle their FPS counters dipping below 60. Same thing happened with Red Dead Redemption 2 being labeled a "bad port" because they got mad when they went into the advanced graphics settings and enabled all the settings that weren't meant to be ran on current hardware.

This isn't a GPU issue. Such slowdowns happen because SC tries to cram too much data into your PC, which means vast amounts of data need to be loaded during planetary transition or when you move in 1st person mode. They have a fundamental problem with unrealistic ideas how their seemless world can work on current gen PC.

This is a problem known from all geodata applications. It's not about 3d graphics but how fast data gets loaded, so related to CPU/RAM/Mainboard and especially your storage device. What baffles me about seeing such slowdowns is that this problem has already been solved (sort of) by flight simulators. Instead of halting until data is processed they simply display no data while the simulation moves on. That means if your harddisk and RAM are too slow, you would see bare, untextured patches on the plane. This isn't pretty but the only way this is endurable if you run a sim on insuficient hardware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom