Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Control: Origins - Star Control reboot from Stardock

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Dr Tomo, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Yosharian Educated

Yosharian
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Um. What?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    https://www.stardock.com/games/arti...gins-prelude-9-of-13-the-lore-of-star-control

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Parrots:
    Because he and his team have been working on this game for 5 years with the Star Control IP before the Activision buttboys decided they want to contest said rights and make their own Star Control game? What do you suppose him to do, roll over and acquiesce to their every demand? Stop developing the game?

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Elestan Educated

Elestan
    Parrots:
    I think there are a few things worth noting:

First, Reiche and Ford cut themselves off from Activision before this all started, so Activision doesn't have any role in their planned game, and they're having to defend the lawsuit personally.

Second, the only rights they are contesting are based on their copyright on the original games, which their original contract with Accolade said they got to keep.

Third, they've never claimed to be making a new Star Control game. What they seem to want to do is to make a game that continues the story from SC2. Since stories, as creative works, are governed by copyrights, this doesn't seem improper.

Finally, they've never demanded that Stardock not release its game, or that it not call it "Star Control". Their demands have only been that Stardock not use any of their copyrighted story elements in it, which again seems like it's within their rights.

As the Lawful Masses video indicated, this is a case where the copyright and the trademark to a property have been separated, and both parties want to continue it. The legal squabbles are about trying to figure out the bounds of what their respective IP rights control.

• Informative x 3
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Dreed Bremsstrahlunged Patron

Dreed
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Hoo Hoo x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Life of the Party Augur

Life of the Party
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Mr. Magniloquent Novice

Mr. Magniloquent
    Parrots:
    The art in this trailer is very inconsistent. The mixture of mid-grade 2D art and the stylized low-grade 3D don't blend very well, and it gives the objects a sense of overlapping, rather than being integrated as a whole. The quality of the art itself also varies. Some of the alien interaction screens and planet panoramas look excellent, while some of the ships and celestial objects looks like a flash game. Nothing that can't be polished out, I'd wager. I just hope they can homogenize the art style by release. Still looks like fun to play.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Talking about art...: https://www.stardock.com/games/arti...gins-prelude-10-of-13-the-art-of-star-control

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Preview seems to complain that the game is too low budget or too much like Star Control or something: https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-control-origins/star-control-origins-story

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Using the Kardashians as your primary cultural touchstone, even as a joke, does not bode well for your odds of gaining my sympathy.

• Old Old x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. someone else Arcane

someone else
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]
    Prefer this Cardassian

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    Parrots:
    god damn i wanted to like this game.. i really do. but i just cant imagine terrain of this game with this art style.. i just cant. .. what a fuck is happening with games and their designers...

[​IMG]

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Speaking of environment...: https://www.stardock.com/games/arti...ude-11-of-13-the-environments-of-star-control

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Music:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Critters: https://www.stardock.com/games/arti...prelude-12-of-13-the-critters-of-star-control

I guess this is the last prelude post before the release.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

And this is his beta impressions video:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. lophiaspis Savant

lophiaspis
    Parrots:
    So much work and drama to rehash such a fundamentally flawed and mediocre game design. A twee sci-fi CYOA interspersed with some poorly conceived minigames that quickly wear out their welcome, is that really the best way to simulate the adventures of a starship captain? - I have to grind ANOTHER dumb frogger clone to refuel my ship? Meh, how overrated.

• Edgy x 3
    • Heresy x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Here goes another series of posts: https://www.stardock.com/games/article/490985/

Well as far as Steam top sellers list goes, it's currently at ~200.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. lophiaspis Savant

lophiaspis
    Parrots:
    :lol: Did they really think they are competing with Mass Effect? With something that looks like a Flash game? Oh boy...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Number 58 on GOG.

I think they have made a mistake on not giving the game to youtubers early.
    There's not a single recent gameplay video to be found.

^ Top  
  21. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    Parrots:
    Considering that ME took the concept of SCII and turned it into a really shitty BORING game, yeah, that's not much of a competition.

If Stardock recreate the SCII concept faithfully and technically well, there will be no contest from ME and biotards.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Looks like it's out?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    • Informative x 3
    • Interesting x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)