Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Control: Origins - Star Control reboot from Stardock

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/starcontrolorigins/announcements/detail/1716331566342625569

Free Star Control: Origins DLC Arrives December 6

Stardock will release a new FREE DLC for its new space adventure game, Star Control: Origins. The DLC, Reinforcements, adds a dozen new ships to pilot in Star Control: Origins' combat mini-game, Fleet Battles.

Star Control: Origins puts the player in command of Earth's first interstellar ship on a mission to save the earth from impending destruction at the hands of a hostile alien empire. During the course of the game, players will encounter dozens of alien civilizations, explore hundreds of planets and attempt to find a way to prevent the malevolent Scryve Empire from finding and destroying Earth.

Star Control: Origins also includes a combat mini-game called Fleet Battles in which players assemble fleets of ships and take them into combat either against the computer or against other players online. The free Reinforcements DLC nearly doubles the number of ships available to choose from by default.

Example Ships
Menkmack Opportunist
55152f7dcecc6458fb965e6f756af48eb4a66810.png

Scavenger
c7b092586149f3683694e9cc89bd137fb7f2c51d.png

Norast Diamond
4214592fae70813cadac3bb12158f027276f96f6.png

Screenshots

42c4982afedaaf431ab9e532de37931ed62f952c.jpg

39673c3e0825b44206a03f914d82b257fee6ab9d.jpg

Deleted Member 16721

So I didn't read the thread, but is this game still a lot like the original Star Control 2 (Ur-Quan Masters)? I played that game several times and loved it, really inventive and unique. I'm just wondering if the new game is similar in style, i.e. open-world, some resource gathering, some secrets to find and interacting with weird alien cultures with quests, etc.. In other words, is it good and true to the Ur-Quan Masters?

Elestan

Educated
So I didn't read the thread, but is this game still a lot like the original Star Control 2 (Ur-Quan Masters)? I played that game several times and loved it, really inventive and unique. I'm just wondering if the new game is similar in style, i.e. open-world, some resource gathering, some secrets to find and interacting with weird alien cultures with quests, etc.. In other words, is it good and true to the Ur-Quan Masters?

It is a game in a similar style to the prior Star Control games, in a mostly different setting that claims to be a different timeline in the same "multiverse". Whether it's allowed to do that without the original creators' permission is a question for the courts, as the creators own the copyright to the original's setting. However, it is worth noting that Stardock is currently suing the creators of the original Star Control games, tried to pressure the admins of the UQM project into giving up their IP rights, and threatened to eliminate the UQM fan communities (Draginol is Stardock's CEO).

Needless to say, I've decided not to give Stardock any of my money. The original creators will be doing their own sequel to Star Control II after the litigation is over, if they're still allowed to.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/starcontrolorigins/announcements/detail/1716331566372257258

Star Control: Origins - Earth Rising Announced

The story of Star Control: Origins continues next week with Earth Rising, a 4-part season pass that covers humanity's expansion into the galaxy.

The first part, Aftermath, will release on December 11, 2018. Earth Rising will add dozens of missions, new alien races, and a variety of ships.

As Captain of Earth's first interstellar starship, your primary mission is to ensure the safety of Earth from hostile alien forces through a combination of diplomacy and combat skill, while acquiring the materials and technologies Earth needs to begin growing beyond its home solar system.

In the first part, Aftermath, players discover that not every alien is happy about the prospect of an expanding human empire. There are unknown enemies lurking in the shadows seeking to undermine Earth's ambitions, while others begin to react to the recent successes of the Earth captain and his primitive ship.

While the expansion adds a great deal of content for those who have already completed the major events of Star Control: Origins, much of the new content greatly expands the richness of the Star Control universe for first-time players, including many new side-quests, new alien species, and new ships to recruit.

Star Control: Origins - Earth Rising is $19.99 with Part 1, Aftermath, available on December 11. Part 2 will be released this winter, Part 3 this spring and Part 4 this summer.

To learn more, visit https://www.starcontrol.com

Meet the Gloosh, a new hidden power of the Scryve sector.

e11eff32a30151d6b967f1f3163a5fddea1b58f5.jpg

New map areas are unlocked in Aftermath to explore.

010c33d4e6ea1e71e37ec5ee523bd5c5a0851727.jpg

Not everyone is pleased with the rapid ascension of the primitive humans from Sol III.

076bffec730599912822677c4dc9927d9d99f738.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/starcontrolorigins/announcements/detail/1717458101038525966

FREE Reinforcements DLC and v1.3 update is now available for Star Control: Origins!

Explore all-new ways to destroy your enemies with a dozen BRAND NEW ships!

ee142b67457d9e7c3d575483c3ad38f0fcab9846.png

Send in the Reinforcements!
Stardock has released a new FREE DLC and v1.3 update for its space adventure game, Star Control: Origins. The DLC, Reinforcements, adds a dozen new ships to pilot in Star Control's combat mini-game, Fleet Battles.

Challenge your friends, annihilate your enemies (and your friends for that matter, you do you!), and climb in the ranks of online competitive play with diverse and exciting new ships.

Prepare for battle! Everyone will find something that suits their playstyle in this free DLC that almost doubles the amount of playable ships in the Fleet Battles mode for Star Control: Origins.

From the lithe Harmony Fighter and its long beam turrets all the way to the Vulzon Galley with its rows of powerful missiles, you’ll enjoy devising a wide range of new strategies for commanding and battling against these ships.

All of the new vessels have been carefully balanced and are available both in single and multiplayer matches of Fleet Battles. Challenge your friends online and see who can master these new ships and claim victory!

Download Reinforcements for FREE and jump into some Fleet Battles right away. See you online!

Norast Diamond
Pilot the Norast’s finest attack vessel! Equipped with a highly damaging dual laser, this ship has a huge range and high DPS. Be careful to watch how much energy you consume, though.
59f2023b4d541853a59da27187d1583aeacc9569.png

Inamorata Strike
Actions speak louder than words, usually in the form of an explosion. Created by aliens of action, the Inamorata Strike is one of the more mysterious ships in the new collection. These actions seem to come in the form of tracking Destiny Missiles and a devastating rear-shot.
b791f5b17d2c3cfe137bd3a2f1741dc9a65bfdf8.png

Menkmack Opportunist
In space, no one can hear you scream… but that doesn’t change the fact that you can still make some money! Barrage your enemy with deadly dumbfire missiles and canister mines and turn your foes into Swiss cheese. Very, very lucrative Swiss cheese...
20ebe7927c9fe3bd935e6431e0cefdea501ce7c1.png

Muaertreaze Fighter
Just...hold...still! The perfect drone vessel for drive-by ship destroying, this Fighter can drop immobilizing mines to stun the enemy long enough to release an onslaught of laser spurts with its Flank Blasters.
85628d771e563380e332ff6209e4465d2edb8169.png

Harmony Fighter
Nothing says 'harmony' like zipping around dropping flame turrets to scorch your enemies from wing to wing. We’re not sure who exactly it’s harmony for, but we’re pretty sure it's not your enemies! Aim your vessel carefully, then unleash your Eradication Ray. While you’re zooming across the map, plop down some of those ship destroying turrets to ensure your victory.
7e89eb44f84d3f49808b008c2a3e8564660e9994.png

Radiant Angel
This angel will bring a beautiful light - beautiful, murderous light, that is. Burst open enemy ships with a bubble of light and then get away quickly to recuperate before your next attack.
fc244e6855a558e230f26aa5af1ef4d68e26d711.png

Scavenger
Come just a little closer! Pull your enemies in close using your deadly tractor beam, then tear their ships to bits. Though the Scavenger is simple, it’s robust, and holds its own well in a fight.
ba233fda87c3ecfaacb8609752e5fd1eac1d38a7.png

Xelnathi Conqueror
Hole-y yikes, this thing is dangerous! A stylish new vessel loaded with Xraki tech, this machine shoots triple lasers. Bolt Casters are also ready to slow down some unwary foes.
e6d30df1951ba29e8d5fbce7d4d0d0a435f637fe.png

Trandal Overwhelmer
Aiming is optional with this vessel! This little scout ship shoots three bolts at once and has a pretty good chance of hitting any enemy that flies too close. A fine example of Trandal tech, the Overwhelmer is also equipped with a destructive phasor.
cfe78d09452f003ac66af168caaf328a20b47b7d.png

Vulzon Galley
Old doesn’t always mean outdated! Although this vessel is a little old-fashioned, this floaty, heavy ship still packs quite a punch. The Vulzon Galley shoots a line of missiles from either side of it - though, it’s up to the pilot to remember which button shoots which missiles where. Good luck.
6fa0a4f3090d66cbc1d362878912231378b5a359.png

Shantid Destroyer
Looks can be deceiving! This ship may look a little strange, but it shoots plasma bolts that track over quite an impressive distance, so your enemies should beware.
16745f75e5444f806de67dad9f14833df1a3a3ab.png

Xraki Horror
Surprise! Looming in the shadows, this ship will attack you with deadly black hole mines. But beware, it’s fairly small so it doesn’t have much crew or shields, which renders it fairly unprotected. So if you’re going in for an attack, you better sink that ship, or else...
d39d21384b573f9a4fefb87d1a09dc26fa93c576.png

NEW in v1.3
Accompanying the free DLC, v1.3 adds a few fun features to entice more exploration during the main game.

Highlights
  • Uncover the rumors of a Scyve super weapon that can destroy planets, and seek it out before they can use it against you
  • Evasive manuevers! Improved controls on the Vindicator make it feel more responsive to your inputs
  • Investigate alien ruins and crashed spaceships to discover powerful new weapons for your ship
  • Preapre to fire! Several new weapons have been added to the Crafting Menu, including the Frag Missile, Rapid Laser, Flame Thrower, and the Heavy Gatling Laser

Changelog Details
  • Added option to disable AI fleet coordinator for fleet battles before a battle starts. You only get to pick once as after that things are all setup and there is no UI again.
  • Added a "replay battle" option when you lose a campaign battle thus allowing you to continue the game without doing a reload. Also works if you surrender.
  • Increased the deceleration of the Vindicator, making it more responsive and less drag.
  • Increased the rotation speed of vindicator by 25% in Solar System/Hyperspace.
  • Increased rotation speed of Vindicator (in combat) and the free pickup ships to make them feel more responsive.
  • Added new weapons that can be found by investigating alien ruins and crashed spaceships throughout the galaxy
  • Added new weapons to the Crafting Menu including the Frag Missile, Rapid Laser, Flame Thrower, the Heavy Gatling Laser, and more.
  • Fix for a broken/crashed Jeff.
  • Fix for a scripting bug with the Free Trandals where you could leave their initial conversation
  • Added additional inventory popups when you get a Pink Lorris Egg.
  • Adding a popup to notify the player their crew is replenished when they visit human colonies.
  • Correcting typos
  • Added more detailed Captain's Logs for new human colonies.
  • Fixing a minor Objective bug for a Free Trandal quest.
  • Reduced collision box of Harmony ship.
  • Added hints of a Scryve super weapon that can shatter planets.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://steamcommunity.com/games/starcontrolorigins/announcements/detail/1717458101065444853

NEW "Earth Rising" for Star Control: Origins is Now Available!

Earth Rising is a 4-part season pass that covers humanity's expansion into the galaxy.

8d6d31a3509b41ecb511a53a9a05eb8de48d849c.jpg

The story of Star Control: Origins continues today with Earth Rising, a 4-part season pass continuation, Aftermath is available to play today, while the other 3 parts will release over the next 6 months.

Check out the trailer, here.

In Aftermath, Star Control has ordered the construction of a new Star Control base in Epsilon Trireme. Not every alien is happy about the prospect of an expanding human empire, however, and already the efforts there have run into trouble.

Meanwhile, a group of suspiciously helpful aliens have informed you of a potential new ally: the Gloosh, who are, quite possibly, the laziest aliens in the universe. On top of it all, a new enemy appears in the shadows, one who seems to have their own long history with humanity...

Get Earth Rising for 10% off for a limited time, and play Aftermath right away!

Steam Midweek Madness: Get Star Control: Origins for 25% off

Major Features in Pt.1, Aftermath
New Quests[www.stardock.com]
Aftermath includes six new major quests, including several large, multi-stage quest chains, that chronicle the beginning of humanity’s first steps onto the galactic stage. Some of these quests are available during the main campaign, while some others take place after the main adventure is completed, so there’s something for everyone whether you’re just starting out or have already beaten the game.

New Alien Faction[www.stardock.com]
Located in a previously undiscovered region of space, the Gloosh are almost unbelievably slow moving, lazy aliens. It’s honestly astounding that they’ve managed to survive in such a harsh region of the galaxy. But, the Observers - shifty as they are - seem to think that they’d make good allies for your cause, so surely there’s more to them than meets the eye...

New Ships [www.stardock.com]
The Gloosh, Lexite, and Kzanti factions have all had new ships added, some of which can even be recruited for the player’s fleet. The Kzanti have also somehow managed to obtain themselves a massive new Factory Ship, which, as is so often the case, is probably going to need to be destroyed during a long and dramatic battle.

New Precursor Mysteries[www.stardock.com]
Throughout the main campaign, events will cause Precursor Starbases to restore power to their multi-manifold sensor systems. These systems have revealed the location of a number of new items of interest throughout the galaxy, including ancient (and recent!) relics.

More is on the way!
Following Aftermath, three more parts will release. Purchasing the Earth Rising season pass will
give access to each part as they become available.

Part 1: Aftermath (Now Available)
Part 2: The Lexites (Winter 2019)
Part 3: The Syndicate (Spring 2019)
Part 4: Earth Rises (Summer 2019)

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stardock's Brad Wardell share some infos about Steam review

I wonder if this hold true for other games or just those of Stardock. Edit: I tried to check for other games, but Steam doesn't report the number of positive/negative review when filtering by language (WTF?) Edit2: Well it does in fact. I don't know why I didn't saw it then.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane

I wonder if this hold true for other games or just those of Stardock

This is actually a very interesting point.

Russians and chinese gamers mostly pirate their shit.

In terms of taste tho, russians and chinese could not be more different.

Chinese rpgs for the most part focus on the hero journey, they almost always touch themes of love, and good vs evil.

Russians seem to love the morally grey, and the decadent. They favor sci fi.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
This privileged white developer is saying very problematic and extremely racist shit about the visible minorities of Asia like Russians and Chinese. It is literally violence.

Buying his game is supporting white supremacy and Hitler. Spread the word. Lets let steam know they have to remove his game for being Hitler. Or get PayPal, Visa, and MC to stop processing payments.

Lets go guys! We have a world to save from this prick's violent Steam review patriarchy!

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I like how Infinitron gave me the stop button. He is very protective of the blatant and obvious non-rpg games he shills for in grpg.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Russians literally hacked Star Control: Origins’ Steam score. It would’ve been positive without their interference!!

Well there's like 60 reviews in Russian, with 20 of them negative, so it's a little exaggerated :cool:. But that's true the score for the non-English reviews is way lower than the score of the reviews in English.

For example, the score for French reviews is 25%, 50% for German, 65% for Russian, 79% for English and 39% for Chinese.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

I wonder if this hold true for other games or just those of Stardock

The Chinese have different tastes to Westerners. Wow! News at 11.

Apparently it still hold true for other games, so it seems it's not just a matter of taste (but he doesn't say which devs he asked)

Those who agrees with him, of course. Those that don't have already been blocked. That is how Stardick rolls.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I checked: Primordia's Russian reviews are 5% lower (92%) than overall (97%), and if you drop Russian and Chinese reviews, it does end up at 98%, the promised land we once occupied. Still, it's hard for me to imagine playing that kind of Moneyball with your releases -- if most Russian and Chinese players like your game, what a shame it would be to deny the game to them so as to prevent the harder critics from expressing their views. Also, I have to say that by and large Russian players (and the Russian press) were big supporters of Primordia. Even if they don't sugarcoat when they dislike a game, they were the first to translate Primordia (all on their own), and several big Russian magazines featured Primordia, with one giving it an adventure game of the year award. So I think I'd take the bitter with the sweet on this one.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/app/271260/discussions/1/1742229167221237036/
Star Control: Origins will be coming down
We have received news today that Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford, contractors on the classic DOS game, Star Control 2 for Accolade and widely created as being the "creators" of Star Control have issued a DMCA take down notice to Valve to take down Star Control: Origins.

https://www.screencast.com/t/mODt766t162 (this is the one sent to GOG)

As some of you may know, there is a legal dispute between Stardock and Reiche and Ford regarding the trademarks and copyrights pertaining to Star Control.

You can read the history here:
https://www.stardock.com/games/starcontrol/article/487690/qa-regarding-star-control-and-paul-and-fred

Unfortunately, rather than relying on the legal system to resolve this, they have chosen to bypass it by issuing vague DMCA take-down notices to Steam and GOG (who, btw, Reiche and Ford are suing using GoFundMe money).

Steam and GOG both have a policy of taking down content that receive DMCA notices regardless of the merits of the claims.

To my knowledge, never in the history of our industry has anyone attempted to use the DMCA system to take down a shipping game before. For example, when PubG sued Fortnite for copyright infringement, they didn't try to take Fortnite down with a DMCA notice.

For those not familiar with copyright law, you CANNOT copyright ideas, individual or short phrases, concepts, mechanics, game designs, etc.

Star Control: Origins does not contain any copyrighted work of Reiche or Ford. We spent 5 years working on it making it our own game. It very much plays like you would expect a Star Control game. But that has nothing to do with copyright.

Stardock, for the record, owns the trademark to Star Control: Origins and Star Control 3 and Star Control: Origins has nothing to do with Reche and Ford.

Valve assures us that anyone who has already bought the game should be able to continue to play it.

Unfortunately, without the income from Star Control: Origins, Stardock will have to lay off some of the men and women who are assigned to the game.

We will do our very best to continue to support the game and hopefully Star Control: Origins will return as soon as possible.
:what:

Cael

Arcane
For those not familiar with copyright law, you CANNOT copyright ideas, individual or short phrases, concepts, mechanics, game designs, etc.

Star Control: Origins does not contain any copyrighted work of Reiche or Ford. We spent 5 years working on it making it our own game. It very much plays like you would expect a Star Control game. But that has nothing to do with copyright.
Utter bullshit.

Use the name Arwen or Aragorn or the like for monetary purposes and expect to be sued to hell and back by the Tolkien estate.

Also bullshit is that Origins didn't use Reiche or Ford's stuff. It was pointed out in this very thread that Origins shifted towards using R&F's stuff after the legal dispute heated up.

Stardick also further escalated the fight when it served legal notices to R&F and tried to take down the UQM site and then tried to trademark R&F's stuff (SC2 content and names).

Stardick is trying to claim victim status when it was he who started lobbing legal nukes. The guy is a deceitful, lying pig and should be taken to the cleaners and worse for his arrogant shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom