Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Trek: Klingon Academy on Windows 10?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Anyone ever get this ancient artifact from the Age of CD-Rom to work on Windows 10 in a full HD install? If so, could you share your procedure? I have a yen to play it and see intricate ship model polygonal damage and top-quality FMV sequences with top-quality british actors, though I generally hate Star Trek shit. Heard this was the best space shooter/sim of its time though next to Tie Fighter and I love playing a bastard, or in this case a bunch of bastards. But apparently this is one of the most difficult games to get running on Windows 10 even with fan patches. No 6-CD disc swapping shit please. I want a full HD install. TIA.

Blake00

Learned
Playing it on a modern OS without disc swapping is just a pipe dream from what I've seen out there lol. I couldn't be bothered trying to get it working so I just watched this guys youtube series and finished watching it around a month ago. SUPER impressive game. Great cutscenes with Christopher Plummer quoting endless Shakespeare! Quite an impressive combat engine and graphics for the time. Loved the damage modeling effects, very clever. The guy doing the videos does a good job of playing the game although he has the music volume up to bloody high lol.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMG5eYjdE-Dutf5h-_k2sVO3ANemRz_1b

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
klingon academy was more or less impossible to run on modern operating systems until early 2011 when some czech dude named Komat decided to fix this with patches he made for the game. in late 2019, the community decided to take things a step further: make a installer that's meant to streamline the installation process. note that the installer needs physical discs or disc images of the game.

before the customized installer came about, you basically had to install wincdemu (if you're gonna use disc images), KA itself, the official patches, and the patches made by Komat that allows the game to run on modern hardware and operating systems.

you can get the custom installer here: http://www.klingonacademy.com/newspage.php?news=37080&sid=cb44a90253a7f8f06e18406a70a18e9e

Last edited:

Blake00

Learned
Playing it on a modern OS without disc swapping is just a pipe dream from what I've seen out there lol.
Works fine on linux, have you actually tried using a modern OS?

"from what I've seen out there".. as in others complaining in forums and youtube comments etc about it not working on Win 7, 8, 10 etc.

Need anything else I said explained to ya champ?

Codex Year of the Donut
Playing it on a modern OS without disc swapping is just a pipe dream from what I've seen out there lol.
Works fine on linux, have you actually tried using a modern OS?

"from what I've seen out there".. as in others complaining in forums and youtube comments etc about it not working on Win 7, 8, 10 etc.

Need anything else I said explained to ya champ?
Those aren't modern OSes, they're old botnets.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Wow, I forgot I started this topic ages ago and it pretty much slipped out of mind when I got no replies. From my last attempts, it's possible to install fully on HDD and play under Windows 10 with patches. However, the only issue that still remained was that the opening cut scene/intro movie still requires a disk swap in (or out). I remember trying to download the all-in-one installer in the poster's link above but it requires forum registration and they never sent an email confirmation. Oh, well.

Norfleet

Disk swaps? You still use disks? What is this, 2000? Just mount both ISOs.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Disk swaps? You still use disks? What is this, 2000? Just mount both ISOs.

Actually I meant just that - disk mounts. I use WinCDEmu. Haven't played a game off a physical disk in an actual optical drive in many years. As for Klingon Academy, unless that installer mentioned above - which I can't download - corrects the issue, if you want the intro movie you have to still do some switching, which is annoying. I just want a full 100% HDD installation with all intros, cutscenes, whatever, and not have to deal with bullshit ISO switching.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
CRY HAVOK! AND LET

*mounts cd2.iso*

SLIP THE DOGS OF WARRRRR

This was/is such a great game, and not just because Christopher Plummer deserved an Oscar.

the ship damage modelling and the environmental interaction is still unmatched

Blake00

Learned
Yeah the flying into planet atmospheres, asteroid belts and anomalies stuff was super impressive. To this day planets are usually just big pieces of decoration in vast majority of space combat games that if you're lucky it'll let you crash into them (after flying towards them for like 20mins) for an insta death haha. Yet here these guys were 20 years ago allowing you to fly into the atmospheres of different planets and continue fighting in them lol, even using them to your advantage in tough battles.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I think I saw a video of one guy who even managed to get it to run in 4k resolution with a hi-rez patch. Of course, all the text and GUI elements were the size of a microbe but this clearly insane individual continued to play it. But it looked sharp, I must admit.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just thought I'd check in with an update. Yes, that patch mentioned above that the czech guy made fixes almost everything and you can now do a full HDD install on Windows 10, with all intros, cutscenes, etc playing off the hard drive. However, if you choose the new widescreen resolutions, the extensive FMV sequences (3 hours?!) will be stretched but it's pretty awesome that this is so nicely patched for modern systems. Give it a go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom