Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars : Empire at War

anus_pounder

Arcane
Lets get to the point -

What are the best mods?

inb4uninstall.

Exmit

Scholar
uninstall and install proper star wars strategy

star-wars-rebellion-cd.jpg

bobocrunch

Educated
I've recently been shilled into getting into this game for the first time since I was a kid, and with these mods it's a genuinely in-depth and flavorful strategy game that I don't know how I understood back then. The ease of modding the game lead to a dedicated fanbase with seemingly-normal mod leads, and I'm surprised there's less talk of it nowadays. The art direction and modded textures hold up to make the game still look on-par with strategy releases nowadays, and the gameplay changes have made it a game where I see (and have) frequent losses to the AI.

34D8F34F23302090C2341D208F78596A7F105B96
09D9E3EAFF1FD7B4A9EF8A999B9E10DDEB0DE1C4
20C1C9D8429781A803A82C79F7CFCF42419D97F1

Steam Workshop access makes mods easy to download too, and all of the top ones are high quality. Some examples, including one updated yesterday:

Empire at War Expanded: Fall of the Republic 1.3 (Updated June 18th)
Empire at War Expanded: Thrawn's Revenge 3.2 (Updated July 21st)
Republic at War
Awakening of the Rebellion 2.10.3: Scum And Villainy

Qarthadqart

Novice
Fall of the Republic is excellent, but I haven't played the new update.

Another good mod is RebelSim, a submod for Awakening of the Rebellion (2.93, not the latest version).
It makes the rebels into more of a guerilla army, which starts with only a few planets, and is more concerned with building forces than holding territory. This contrasts with the base game and other mods, where the civil war is between two countries with equal resources. I'm not a huge fan of base AOTR, but with this add-on it's probably my favorite.

rezaf

Cipher
I've always had a soft spot for EAW, but my main gripe with the game is sadly beyond fixing with mods - the space battle maps are WAY too small.

I've always had a soft spot for EAW, but my main gripe with the game is sadly beyond fixing with mods - the space battle maps are WAY too small.
A common problem for RTS of the mid-oughts. I remember playing multiplayer with a buddy of mine around 2009/10 and when our fleets were assembled, each legit took like a quarter of certain maps. Similar issues with another big RTS of that era, Battle For Middle Earth II. Only the largest 8-player maps (lol, I can't even imagine the space being shared by 8) were truly viable in MP. Odd to think that map space was was still an issue when shit like Homeworld came out years prior, but even games that were easy to run from the generation prior seemed to skimp on map space. Stronghold with its max size of 800x600 tiles practically feels unplayable now for how cramped it is, regardless of map.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Having some fun with this game, pity the ground combat is so poop.

Basically it's C&C3 combat, just a meatgrinder. Not unplayable but very meh. Rolling over imperial positions with mammoth tanks just doesn't feel very star wars.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Used to play it with a "Space addon" which adds many new starships. Obviously, I played the most of space combat and even put many land battles on auto-resolve

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom