Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
They are also excellent games ... days gone, then Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, 2 more God of War games, and whatever Naughty Dog is working on ... MS and PC, both of those markets are starved for quality action adventure games, the only developer thats been doing it is Ubisoft.

>excellent quality action adventure games
>days gone, then Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, 2 more God of War games, and whatever Naughty Dog is working on

>PC has no quality action games
>aside from the trash Ubisoft shits out

Cross

Arcane
https://www.gameinformer.com/feature/2019/06/08/the-true-power-of-the-force

In a way, the combat dance is reminiscent of From Software’s Souls games, but not in a punishing way.

The flow of this short combat sequence is intense and calculated, drawing more inspiration from From Software’s Souls titles than any other Star Wars game to date.

We also looked at games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls that have the same types of methodology. We studied those games and they inspired us to find an experience that works well for our game.”

These health canisters function exactly like Dark Souls’ Estus Flasks, and won’t replenish until the player finds a save point or returns to The Stinger Mantis. Retreating to a save point comes with a risk, however, as enemies will respawn.

The calculated dance ends up being surprisingly intense, making you think intimately about every little action you unleash. It ends up being circular, with both sides looking for opportunities; a routine fans of From Software’s work have come to know well.

“We look at all genres, and all action games,” de Haras clarifies. “Dark Souls, obviously, because it’s a very what-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of combat system.

Jedi: Baby Souls.

CyberModuled

Savant
You forgot the best part

Story is everything for Star Wars, but that hasn’t been the case for most video games based on this property

I know it's just PR talk more than anything but have these retards not heard of KOTOR?

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
When I saw that the protagonist was a white man I felt a spark of hope, but then this appeared:

aawu3k.png

Well, there's any shred of excitement gone.

I think she may be a distant relation to Cohagen.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
It's like Jedi Academy, but weirdly slow. Like they really want it to be Dark Souls maybe (to me it almost looks like Witcher 3, especially when fighting those spiders.) ? But why? And it takes more than three lightsaber hits to kill some guy?
It's SO ODD how he stands around and waits for stormtroopers to come to him.
And the finishers, very meh. JA felt agile and system driven, like you could invent your own cool ways of hacking up storm troopers.
This just looks so stiff and linear.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The levels don't look very open, it all played extremely linear in the demo.

I deleted that because I was going off what I read, haven't had time to watch it yet. The quick preview summaries I've looked at all say Metroid though. How "open world" a Metroid type game is is open to debate I guess, but I wouldn't call it linear. Who knows how accurate those previews are though, or how representative the footage is.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Banal modern aaa squeeze through pipes see cutscene linear button prompter. Guess it was naive expecting anything different.

Last edited:

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Dark Souls is such an odd inspiration for a Jedi game. Dark Souls is deliberate and slow - it's about waiting for an opening and exploiting it.

Frozen

Arcane
So is this canon?
When does it takes place episode-wise?
How is there another (this time a fucking kid) force user with Luke lvl of Jedi powers just because?
Also that animation of main character LOLz its just terrible he looks so wooden while walking and graphics are shit.

Love

Cipher
It looks like a by the numbers, set piece driven, narrow linear corridor blockbuster button masher, 25% of which will probably be spent on quick time events.

That's even a step down from the Lego versions in terms of gameplay. They didn't have this console climbing stuff. You just walked and jumped where you pointed to. You know, like in the old days? :outrage:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So is this canon?
When does it takes place episode-wise?

Like all Star Wars media now it's canon until someday they decide again it isn't. I doubt anything but the movies or shows is ever really important though. This one is set between prequels and originals, before Rogue One.

Finally watched the gameplay video. Basically looks like Force Unleashed again but with somewhat Dark Souls inspired combat. Not really my genre but I like Star Wars enough to play it anyway probably.

Drakron

Arcane
Dark Souls is such an odd inspiration for a Jedi game. Dark Souls is deliberate and slow - it's about waiting for an opening and exploiting it.

Well its EA we are talking about, they just looked and thought "those Dank Solds seem pretty popular with the kids these days, lets copy that" ... because nobody thought of doing that *cough*Lordsofthefallen*cough*.

But its not about being slow for me thats the problem, the problem is how small the player is compared with the enemies were in Souls games you cannot lower your guard, there is a sense of being small and having to fight tooth and nail until you git gud (memorized their patterns) and even then you can still be fucked up the ass, doesnt work on a Jedi game because Jedi are NOT supposed to be small and powerless but rather they are incredible power fighters that you need a army to take down, you can speed up Souls games as Sekiro and Bloodborne are much faster or at least more aggressive games but still your character in those games doesnt feel like a Jedi should do.

A Souls games doesnt work for Jedi simply because of the relative power of your character, with a Jedi you need to wear him down and kill him throwing even walkers at then because they are simply THAT powerful, without that sense of relative power its not a Souls-like game and a game were the Jedi will struggle against every enemy is simply wrong, thats not a Jedi.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And it takes more than three lightsaber hits to kill some guy?
Every stormtrooper died from one hit, except the purple boss characters, who have the same role as the dark jedi from Jedi Knight. So they have more hit points.

And the finishers, very meh. JA felt agile and system driven, like you could invent your own cool ways of hacking up storm troopers.
This just looks so stiff and linear.
The Respawn guy said that the combat system is somewhat free-form, so you have to do your own combat moves, it is not scripted animations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom