Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by vortex, Feb 28, 2019.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe

• decline decline x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth

• Despair Despair x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. TheChickenKing Learned

TheChickenKing
    You know, I can't help but love some good Jedi stuff, but damn if 1313 wasn't infinitely more interesting than Fallen Order.

• Agree Agree x 7
    ^ Top  
  5. Jonathan "Zee Cat Educated

Jonathan "Zee Cat
    It was the promised saviour children from the ancient tales that never came :negative:

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Yeah, canceling 1313 was a typical Disney dick move, but what's even more tragic is Jedi Outcast/Academy creators Raven Software wasting their time these days creating Call of Duty content.

I just recently replayed those two and I can't appreciate the genius in these games enough.

TL;DR
    Everything is shit. May the Shit be with you.

• Despair Despair x 7
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth

"Playing modern games makes you shit at games"

No shit. May the Shit be with you.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  8. U-8D8 Learned

U-8D8
    When people blame Disney for 1313 being canned, they're forgetting that George Lucas had damned it long before by demanding that the main character be Boba Fett, which meant changes to both the gameplay and the story they'd meticulously planned beforehand, making about half of the dev team leave in protest. Hell, he only told them a little before e3, so they had to go knowing that what they were showing would be no where near the final product.

That in no way excuses Disney's mistakes with the franchise, but I do feel that in getting caught up in all the Disney hate people forget just how much of a screw up Lucas could be.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    There was some research a few years ago that showed that using a quest compass literally made you dumber.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. HansDampf Prophet

HansDampf
    I know very little about 1313. But how is this supposed to be better than Fallen Order? This clip looks like boring :popamole:.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/starwars/jedi-fallen-order/news/letter-from-stig

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. YoungGrumpyMan Literate

YoungGrumpyMan
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Love Arbiter

Love
    Seems like the developers just plotted the continued decline of the stormtroopers from the movies into their game.

"Low IQ stormtroopers!"

"They're not sending their best."

"You'll be tired of winning."

^ Top  
  14. baud Arbiter

baud
    In the video above, there's a shuttle (at around 5:00) that tries to fire on an ATAT while staying right in front of it, which is the only place the ATAT can fire at, so I'd say the low IQ is not limited to the stormtroopers. I mean the shuttle would just need to climb a little or move 20 m away and the ATAT wouldn't be able to do shit, but no, it keep hovering right in front of the guns of the ATAT so that the protag can shoot down a transport shuttle.

^ Top  
  15. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    That fight with the shuttle was pretty idiotic, but overall the game's looking ok.

It is EA though, so no doubt they'll find some way to screw it up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Eh, this looks really bland and uninteresting. I want that 1313 game instead. It had amazing visuals.

This feels very arcadey, just like force unleashed. Its basically force unleashed 3.

gonna pass on this.

Battlefront 2 just got updated with droidekas, it's a far superior game. quite fun

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    "JK2 has some very hard puzzles"

I'm sorry what

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Wilian Arcane Patron

Wilian
    Divinity: Original Sin
    It isn't really. It's actually kinda surprising to see reminiscing/nostalgic/wishful comments for 1313 considering how everything we had of the game were videos of quick-time events, straight corridors filled with chest high boxes and extremely scripted scenes. A little bit astounding what a hopeful mind and a few years to warp perceptions can do to some people. When those gameplay and cinematic videos for it were released it was met with lukewarm reception, especially so here in Codex where it was p. much outright blasted and for all the right reasons.

The only attractive thing of the deal was the chance to see the more seedier side of the Star Wars universe but any and all tidbits of the gameplay we had were nothing but run-of-the-mill third person corridor cover shooting with QTEs like every game of it's era.

^ Top  
  19. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    He didn't talk about one single puzzle. In his read, puzzle also means the complex level design, when you have to find stuff on the level, figure out what does it open/do, and using it in the correct way. He even gives an example about the incinerator shutle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    if finding keycards for doors is now hard puzzles I dont even know what I dont know anymore

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I guess that can happen if you only play AAA games. Maybe he should go back and play some classic games or harder indie titles.

^ Top  
  22. Zibniyat Arcane

Zibniyat
    Jedi Knight II did indeed have some pretty convoluted design choices in several levels, especially when it came to some hidden areas, but it all translated to a game where one has to search for an answer on his own (and not with the help of quest compass, for instance) and employ memory and logical thinking to progress further. In comparison to games that came afterwards, especially these last couple of years, such design choices are obviously the superior approach. Perhaps JKII had stupid pieces of level here and there, but modern games are stupid in their entirety.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    I think when it came to transport with deadly field I just thrown a grenade beneath it and destroyed generators that way.

^ Top  
  25. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Some of JK2's level design does have some obtuseness, but as a whole it's better than modern corridors. One thing that constantly bugs me is how early on there's a bit where you have to destroy a generator to disable something, but destroying the generator causes a fireball that kills you. To me the obvious solution was to use a grenade to get a headstart. This just narrowly doesn't work, which tricks you into thinking you can do it that way if you get it right and blinds you tot he fact that it's not a solution at all (you have to break open a grate to the side and hide in it. It makes no sense that the fireball doesn't go down that corridor.).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)