Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by vortex, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Looks like it will be part of Origin Premier thing. So you could rent it for 15 euro (price for me) if you feel like.

^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Much higher in my region, truth be told.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Or rent it for free

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Looks like nonsense on the level of Force Unleashed, but with soyboy protagonist instead of a chad.

• Agree x 6
    • decline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. TheChickenKing Learned

TheChickenKing
    Stupid opinion ahoy: I liked The Force Unleashed, and I liked it way more than any of the new films.

• Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Why do they continue to make games set between the ep 3 and 4. Does Disney make them or are they just too stupid to come up with original ideas? Say what you will about biowhore but at least KoToR was an original setting (for SW at least).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. cosmicray Educated

cosmicray
    It's just a general direction in producing everything pre-Ep4. Everything wants to be tied to original trilogy. Even the new one. I don't understand why.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Because those are the only films which worth a damn. Everyone likes those.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. cosmicray Educated

cosmicray
    And they're diluting it. Star Wars could be so much more. It's a universe, not a moment in time between 3 and 4 episode.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Rev Arcane

Rev
    Good for you but the first one was just mediocrity in the form of an action video game, while the second one was just terrible, possibly one of the worst games I've ever played.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    You can tell a lot of stories in the world of Star Wars, sure. I'm not sure how interesting or different those stories would be from other space opera settings though. The main crux of love for that franchise is people loving the original trilogy.

^ Top  
  12. cosmicray Educated

cosmicray
    Love for OT made the Extended Universe, which in turn fueled creation of prequels, etc. It became so much more than just 4-6 episodes. I understand that having it set pre-4th establishes whole backstory/setting, but the constant need to tie everything to the Main Story is irritating.

^ Top  
  13. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    I will never forgive Disney for destroying the expanded universe.

• Agree x 7
    • Rage x 6
    • Salute x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Van-d-all Savant

Van-d-all
    Now juxtapose those prices with earnings in each of those countries. $60 is already a nasty price to dish out in Poland (at the same time a typical console game price), so I can only imagine about people in Ukraine or Thailand...

^ Top  
  15. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Heh, looks like they offer "proper" (for a AAA game) regional pricing for some countries... if you purchase on Origin. Not shady at all.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    No, it wasn’t. It was an adaptation/sequel to Dark Horse’s Tales of the Jedi comics (incidentally the best Star Wars comics ever produced by far), albeit with most of the interesting stuff stripped out.
    I agree with you though that this obsession with setting games/ extended media between eps 3&4 is odd though; it’s really not a particularly interesting period.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    Agreed. Those games were terrible. Fwiw though, I don't think Fallen Order is going to be anything like TFU.

^ Top  
  18. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Well it was original to 99% of people. Never knew about those comics.

This setting could be interesting if we didn't know what happens in ep 4+. Nothing in any games or media (SW Rebels for example) matters because none of the characters ever resurface in the movies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. baud Arbiter

baud
    Slaughtering stormtroopers was fun, at least until the game used those that were immune to force powers, mostly because the physic engine was way more reactive than jedi knight. The rest was mostly trash, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Kazuki Arcane

Kazuki
    I hate this kind of setting on between Episode 3 to 4, that people in charge of the universes are trying to tie in for the movies.

Non of these character will ever be mentioned or worthy in the same standing as the character in the Movies.

Movies will always trump in term of importances than the rest media in the universe franchise, even with how shit the new sequel trilogy butchered the established canon (Pre and New Expanded Universe).

None of this expanded Universe material will matter in the long run.

^ Top  
  21. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    If the game is good, I don't care if the characters are "validated" in a nuStarWars movie.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    Sure, I’m just saying BioWare doesn’t deserve points for originality. They actually took a lot of what was original about the setting out and made it much more similar overall to the tone and setting of episodes 1-3.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. AW8 Arcane

AW8
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I think TotJ is pretty goofy at times and that there are better comics, like John Ostrander's Quinlan Vos stuff. But TotJ is unparalleled when it comes to additions to the Star Wars mythos other than Lucas' movies.

For those who haven't read it, Tales introduced things like Korriban, Ziost, Onderon, Dxun, the Sith Empire, Miraluka, fleshed out the Mandalorians and introduced the concept of Mandalore etc. There's also Ossus and Jedi/Sith Holocrons, which first appeared in the related Dark Empire (written by one of the authors who wrote Tales), tying into Tales which were written afterwards.

Tales didn't only create a new setting, it created two - set apart by a millennium.

In the older era the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic have no idea of each others' existance, until they come into contact by accident and the Empire launches a surprise attack on the larger Republic. The world really gives off an ancient vibe, with much of the galaxy not yet explored. Lightsabers have cables to belt-worn power sources and people's clothing look ancient Egyptian.

In the newer era, things have progressed with lightsabers ditching the cable and clothing looking more modern. But it's still very alien compared to the movies with the ships looking completely different, Jedi wearing varied outfits instead of unified robes and the main plot having nothing in common with the OT: A cult takes hold of one of the Republic's strongest planets, Mandalorians start raiding the Republic and certain Jedi begin to engage in less than Jedi-like behavior and search for forbidden power.

One of my favorite things in Tales of the Jedi is the character Simus, a Sith Lord who had his head chopped off by their leader Marka Ragnos. But instead of dying, his head was put in a jar that kept him alive, and he is kept around as an esteemed advisor by Ragnos. It's just so... weird and alien, and something you can believe to have happened thousands of years before the movies.

Like the man who loves Richard Simmons said, BioWare took this setting and "moviefied" it, stripping it of the ancient aestethics and essentially re-told the story of the Original Trilogy in video game form. Not only is the change of style jarring, it's also completely nonsensical with Malak using wedge-shaped Star Destroyers (why would the Prequel-era Republic design ships in the style of space nazis that invaded them in the past?).
    The only really original thing they did was the Mandalorian Wars backstory, which is not only a great story but also a logical continuation of the events in Tales.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    It’s been a while since I read the Vos comics, and I was a pretty big stoner at the time. I’ll give them a reread sometime with a clearer head. All I really remember from them is his friendship with the Devaronian. Ostrander is generally pretty solid though. Legacy wasn’t too bad either (although it got a bit bogged down as it wore on), certainly better than anything Disney’s done.

^ Top  
  25. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    Watched a bit or gameplay and it looks pretty cool. Might pick this up when it's on sale.

My only problem from what I've seen is that there's quite a bit of platforming sections which look pretty awkward and there haven't been a lot of lightsaber battles? Sekiro was cool because it was intense 1 on 1 badass samurai battles but this seems a bit lacking in that department. Maybe I'd be better off installing a mod for sekiro that replaces all the swords with lightsabers?
    Also, in general, whenever games have more than one difficulty I get pretty pissed but this seems to have handled it decently. Hardest difficulty seems about on par with how a souls game would feel, which is basically the gold standard.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)