Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
About 5-6 hours in and I feel absolutely nothing for the game. Not even being Star Wars saves this, it's the same bland feeling I got from the Outer World. Combat is floaty, the areas you traverse feel extremely gamey. Am I to believe stormtroopers have to slide, jump and climb to get around their own bases? The Dark Soul approach to the game does it no favors. It's just annoying and kills the immersion seeing critters and troopers pop into existence before your eyes because you rested for 2 seconds. Also everything I have collected so far has been cosmetics. It's like it was supposed to be sold as microtransaction items, but then EA decided to gain some good will and just added it as flavor, in turn making everything you collect being flavor items.

The bug eyed woman is creeping me out as well, at points in the cutscenes I was certain her eyes would pop out of her head. Story... I don't know. Don't really feel that Star Wars feeling. Maybe a bit from the introduction level, but soon after the rebels turned up my brain just went into sleepy mode.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hear "its like dark souls" a lot. What exactly has it in common with dark souls?

Fairly large maps with "shortcuts". Resting system for getting back estus flask but the Star Wars version of it. Respawning enemies when you rest. If you get killed the dude or monster that got you has your XP, if you strike him you get it back, but if you die again the XP is gone. Some tough enemies that one shot you if you are not careful. That kind of stuff. Just does not fit into Star Wars I feel.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I hear "its like dark souls" a lot. What exactly has it in common with dark souls?

Fairly large maps with "shortcuts". Resting system for getting back estus flask but the Star Wars version of it. Respawning enemies when you rest. If you get killed the dude or monster that got you has your XP, if you strike him you get it back, but if you die again the XP is gone. Some tough enemies that one shot you if you are not careful. That kind of stuff. Just does not fit into Star Wars I feel.
Sounds fucking retarded.

Tehdagah

Arcane
About 5-6 hours in and I feel absolutely nothing for the game. Not even being Star Wars saves this, it's the same bland feeling I got from the Outer World. Combat is floaty, the areas you traverse feel extremely gamey. Am I to believe stormtroopers have to slide, jump and climb to get around their own bases? The Dark Soul approach to the game does it no favors. It's just annoying and kills the immersion seeing critters and troopers pop into existence before your eyes because you rested for 2 seconds. Also everything I have collected so far has been cosmetics. It's like it was supposed to be sold as microtransaction items, but then EA decided to gain some good will and just added it as flavor, in turn making everything you collect being flavor items.

The bug eyed woman is creeping me out as well, at points in the cutscenes I was certain her eyes would pop out of her head. Story... I don't know. Don't really feel that Star Wars feeling. Maybe a bit from the introduction level, but soon after the rebels turned up my brain just went into sleepy mode.
"the areas you traverse feel extremely gamey"

This is good.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I get what you mean, but seeing stormtroopers standing on plateaus with no way up, and having bases that require the workers to do death defying jumps to get to their workplace kinda ruins the immersion.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Also, the developers seem to have stolen John Mulaney's likeness for the main character. He should sue:

maxresdefault.jpg
It's easily recognizable Cameron Monaghan from Gotham (young proto Joker)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCJhMhE1VbU

Machocruz

Arcane
Sounds fucking retarded.

Personal taste aside, it was the perfect system to ape for Star Wars because A) it's super popular, and B) it's a similar melee combat game where parries and dodges make sense.
Whoa there, brethren. You mean SW, right? If we start calling Dark Souls super popular, then what are we going to call Mario or GTA games that are actual mainstream, household names and sell 10+ times more? Super dooper trooper popular? EA itself publishes games that make DS look about as popular as lyme disease. And then there is Star Wars, which is on another level altogether form any video game. Everyone knows it, you don't even have to leave your block to find someone who does, while I wouldn't be surprised to find out that only a few people within a 3 mile radius have even heard of a Dark Soul. Forums are a very different world.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
About 5-6 hours in and I feel absolutely nothing for the game. Not even being Star Wars saves this, it's the same bland feeling I got from the Outer World.
It does feel bland and generic so far (just got Force Push) - jump, wall run, climb. I'd say that Titanfall 2 did it better and offered more variety (guns, mech, etc). Dark Forces nailed the SW atmosphere and Jedi combat was more enjoyable in Jedi Academy.

Yosharian

Arcane
You could make the same accusation towards Dark Souls. How do all those monsters get to all those places? Who gives a shit, it's a fucking game.

Jesus christ it's just a fun puzzle/combat romp, stop taking it so fucking seriously.

Yosharian

Arcane
About 5-6 hours in and I feel absolutely nothing for the game. Not even being Star Wars saves this, it's the same bland feeling I got from the Outer World.
It does feel bland and generic so far (just got Force Push) - jump, wall run, climb. I'd say that Titanfall 2 did it better and offered more variety (guns, mech, etc). Dark Forces nailed the SW atmosphere and Jedi combat was more enjoyable in Jedi Academy.
It's a mainstream popamole game published by EA. We were never going to get Jedi Academy saber combat.

I do agree that it's very generic at times, but I don't agree that it's bland. The locations alone are breathtaking at times and the puzzles can be really challenging, as can the combat, which really does have it's moments.

I mean can we take a moment to appreciate how much challenge the game throws at you? In 2019? This is kind of bold, I think.

I get that we're all cool edgy cynics here that won't appreciate a game unless it's just as good as every old school game we grew up with. Believe me, I get that, I grew up with Dark Forces 1&2 as well, I remember saber_realistic_combat in Jedi Knight, all that shit. I'm just happy that we finally got a SW game that isn't total shit.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
I mean can we take a moment to appreciate how much challenge the game throws at you? In 2019? This is kind of bold, I think.
*monster has one attack against you*
*dodge it*
*cut with lightsaber until it dies*

my god...this is truly bold

Yosharian

Arcane
*dodge it*

What difficulty are you playing on? Monsters do not have 'one attack'. You cannot rely on dodge alone, this isn't the Witcher. You have to use both dodge and parry, and force/lightsaber abilities to survive.

Criticise away but please don't just make shit up. A page ago we had some idiot saying there wasn't even a stamina bar in the game.

Yosharian

Arcane
This game is so much better than the fucking drivel we usually get (Force Unleashed? Hello?) and all you guys can do is shit on it because it isn't quite Jedi Academy. Breaks my heart.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
*dodge it*

What difficulty are you playing on? Monsters do not have 'one attack'. You cannot rely on dodge alone, this isn't the Witcher. You have to use both dodge and parry, and force/lightsaber abilities to survive.

Criticise away but please don't just make shit up. A page ago we had some idiot saying there wasn't even a stamina bar in the game.
I would never waste money on this trash. I'm going off this gameplay.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Star Wars is one of the few games where I don't think it would work if it was made isometric. The KotOR games really were the blueprint on how to make a Star Wars game with an interesting universe and characters. We need something similar, but for the life of me I can't figure out what kind of combat system the game should have. The Souls system is fucking terrible and doesn't fit with Star Wars at all, I don't think anyone is interested in a third-person God of War type gameplay, and third-person shooters are so bleh.

I've never actually played Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy though, and I just looked up some videos on it and it looks fucking amazing. So perhaps that's the answer.

Yosharian

Arcane
*dodge it*

I would never waste money on this trash. I'm going off this gameplay.
So you haven't played the game. Better shut the fuck up then and listen to those that have. You're talking out of your fucking ass. Idiot.

Yosharian

Arcane
Star Wars is one of the few games where I don't think it would work if it was made isometric. The KotOR games really were the blueprint on how to make a Star Wars game with an interesting universe and characters. We need something similar, but for the life of me I can't figure out what kind of combat system the game should have. The Souls system is fucking terrible and doesn't fit with Star Wars at all, I don't think anyone is interested in a third-person God of War type gameplay, and third-person shooters are so bleh.

I've never actually played Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy though, and I just looked up some videos on it and it looks fucking amazing. So perhaps that's the answer.
Jedi Knight 2 is the best one. With the saber mod on.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Jedi Knight 2 is the best one. With the saber mod on.
What is the saber mod?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom